Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theora55 t1_ja497w2 wrote

Pitbulls are not the most likely to bite or attack. But if they do attack, they are much more likely to persist and cause serious harm.

When I have looked at shelter pups in Maine, the pitbull mixes were usually called lab mix.

I've met sweet bit bulls, but they are very strong and not an appropriate pet for me. On ice, a pit bull would too easily pull me off balance. I have a poodle, low prey drive, has learned calm leash manners.

Pit bulls are the dogs most likely to be euthanized. Of dogs I've known that had unplanned litters, it's always pitbulls. So, so many pit bulls at shelters.

Some hypermacho individuals get pitbulls to look tough and aggressive; the dogs are not properly trained, not neutered, and too often abandoned.

Neighbor next door has a pit bull pup; she's training him well, gives him lots of exercise and attention; I like him and appreciate his owner's diligence. Another neighbor has an intact Amer. Staffordshire. He's a beautiful animal whose owner takes good care of him, but if he attacked, it would be very dangerous. Both of these dogs were abandoned by their previous owners.

I used to have a small dog, and the number of parents who allow or encourage kids to behave badly with small dogs is wild. I had to be super-vigilant, because no matter what ground rules I set, parents would ignore them. The dog would be the one to suffer if he bit a misbehaving child who took his toy or crowded/ pulled/ teased him too much. Currently have a poodle; kids love her velvety fur, and she shows no aggression, but I always supervise.

My child was attacked by an unsupervised dog and was fortunately okay; the owners were absolutely irresponsible. I feel so bad for this child who has been harmed for life.