Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_ja2n3mp wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_ja3c316 wrote

[deleted]

UncleRicosWig t1_ja3dne6 wrote

More people have goldens. That stat is skewed a bit. Deaths caused by dog attacks- pit bulls take the cake by far. Roddies are a far second

BOOSH207 t1_ja3esjo wrote

German shepherds come next. Aggressive breeds used by cops then put back into society always ends well.

−1

[deleted] t1_ja3m485 wrote

Shepherds are awesome and I won't stand for this slander

wallonien t1_ja59tn0 wrote

If cops wanted a super aggressive dog breed, they’d use pit bulls.

German Shepherds are extremely intelligent, loyal, obedient, and can control their aggression far more easily than a pit bull can.

StarWarder t1_ja3djlu wrote

please provide a source for that

BOOSH207 t1_ja3elj6 wrote

I’m probably not thinking my comment through so I’m going to politely back out of this thread before this goes any further.

Lower-Permission4850 t1_ja2q695 wrote

How generalized is a pitbull type dog? A pitbull isn’t a type of dog it’s a specific breed. Could have been any number of breeds most get reported as pitbull attacks from media when it could be American bull dog, cane crisp, dogo Argentina, American staff, American pitbull the list goes in

−94

[deleted] t1_ja2qeli wrote

[deleted]

bwma t1_ja2tl5d wrote

He's a dumbass making excuses for a dog that nobody should own.

I'm surprised he's not blaming the little girl.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja39gwd wrote

Tell my boys that. Their best friend is our 3 year old, incredible pitbull.

−21

Impossible_Brief56 t1_ja4fore wrote

Well that's just bad parenting on your end. No better time than the present to fix your mistake!

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja4g9dw wrote

Bad parenting?

How about you fuck right off. One of the best and sweetest dogs we've ever owned.

What is wrong with you people?

−7

Literallydead_1 t1_ja5m0ay wrote

That's what they all say... "but they were our family for 7 years!"

Insert shocked Pikachu face

Impossible_Brief56 t1_ja8cyk1 wrote

Well you made a stupid decision that puts your family that I assume you care about at an unnecessary risk. Clearly you don't understand this. That is on you. You can be defiantly stupid all you want. I'm a huge Darwin fan.

−1

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja8e76i wrote

As someone who has a veterinarian in my family, and years of experience dealing with rescues, I'm extremely confident in our decision, thank you very much. And it's been incredibly rewarding.

It would be nice if people came into this conversation with their heads not so far up their own asses, and maybe just a speck of actual knowledge versus blatant ignorance.

Also a huge fan of Darwin.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja3rb8t wrote

Ignorant ass people downvoting this. Sorry our family's reality doesn't fit your ignorant narrative.

−11

NewspaperEconomy5473 t1_ja5j1xa wrote

Nobody here cares about your "family's reality". Don't expect anyone to coddle you just because you have a vicious dog.

Wanna talk about ignorance? You downplaying the very real and present danger that pitbulls present is peak ignorance.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja5k7n2 wrote

Nobody is asking to be coddled. We are perfectly happy enjoying the incredibly loving animal that is part of our family.

I can assure you the ignorance in this conversation is not coming from me.

−1

Literallydead_1 t1_ja5m4ig wrote

Lmfao what narrative? I used to be fully about it being how they were raised. Now that I've grown up more and seen the statistics &horrors, I know the difference.

[deleted] t1_ja3ykkh wrote

These people are morons, Dude. I don’t know I’m engaging this hate factory. None of these fuck faces would come to your house and start clutching their pearls when they saw your dog. Oh, the humanity…!

−8

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja4a1fj wrote

No kidding, man.

I've spent a good part of my life raising awareness for pitbulls. Most people have no idea what the fuck they are talking about, but man are they quick to get on their soapbox to preach. The media koolaid is something else, and boy do they slurp it up.

[deleted] t1_ja4dccv wrote

It’s amazing because all of the data is self reporting. My sister has a dog that you’d call a pit bull if you didn’t know what you were talking about. She did a dna test, has nothing that you’d expect in it, I don’t even remember what it is. But if it attacked someone, it’s a pit bull.

−2

[deleted] t1_ja34qpl wrote

Your point being a “pit bull type dog” couldn’t be any bully breed dog from mastiff to bull dog. Are you maybe having a reactionary “pit bulls are bad, even though everyone calls any bully breed dog they see a ‘pit bull’” moment?

−6

Yeti_Poet t1_ja37dpl wrote

Okay, so a category of dogs rather than one specific genetic lineage. Hardly seems better, even if it's true.

ecco-domenica t1_ja3lqk2 wrote

No kidding. Talk about a distinction without a difference.

[deleted] t1_ja3y83b wrote

If it’s broken down by actual breed, rather than misidentification, you would find that another dog breed is actually responsible for more dog bites and fatalities, and that even then it’s a small number. Pit Bulls (American Staffordshire Terrier, AKC name) is an actual breed, however everyone uses the phrase Pit Bull to describe any number of bully breed (named because they come from bull dogs) dogs. As evidenced by this story, even the people with first hand knowledge can’t definitely say it’s a pit, yet a dozen Reddit geniuses came on here to ask society to genocide a dog breed, or bad mouth the owners. So there’s just a little bit of bias.

−2

Mycatsaidicant00 t1_ja2xaxe wrote

Yeah the people on this comment section are all a bunch of cucks. It’s not the dog it’s the owner. I’ve owned several pit bulls and they’re some of the most gentle dogs I’ve ever need around - because they got the right training and care. Ironically I was attacked by two dog when I was younger a chihuahua and a golden retriever but you’ll never see that in the media because it doesn’t fit in their box.

−32

[deleted] t1_ja2xlo3 wrote

I definitely understand the sentiment you're carrying. I've met many very sweet and gentle pits.

Almost every single time I am with one however, I am aware that if this dog decided to turn on me I would have a really hard time stopping it. They are strong and powerful and unfortunately the stats show they are overwhelmingly responsible for this type of attack. It's just sad.

Lower-Permission4850 t1_ja37pny wrote

They are no where as strong as larger breeds. It’s media hype still to this day that’s a fact

−20

charons-voyage t1_ja3bwcq wrote

You’re actually delusional it’s hilarious. If a golden retriever bites me, I can probably take it. A pit bull? No fuckin way they are aggressive and will continue attacking. That’s just nature. Not the dogs fault, but no one should own them. Or if they do, they should never be allowed off leash or to be in the presence of strangers. You just never know.

Lower-Permission4850 t1_ja4tw23 wrote

I actually do feel bad now they this article about a child being attacked has people coming at a simple comment with garbage. But you calling me delusional for what I said then saying every pitbull is a killer and shouldn’t be a pet is far more delusional. I suppose every military aged male is a killer too right? Why not? Because they’re individuals with their own thoughts and personalities and certainly not every soldier has killed someone.

−1

Lower-Permission4850 t1_ja4so9r wrote

That is literally delusional and you clearly have no experience with them but you are exactly why people hate Reddit

−3

Impossible_Brief56 t1_ja4fghe wrote

Stfu already you only prove your ignorance with each comment

Lower-Permission4850 t1_ja4tcz9 wrote

German shepherd attack far more people than pitbull. Ask anyone you know with dog attack scars what kinda dog it was and I have a German shepherd so I’m not hating

UncleRicosWig t1_ja39pcm wrote

Statistically more bites and nips come from goldens, but that’s only because they are a more popular breed then most for people with kids. However, ratio wise, when talking about violent attacks-that record belongs to pit bulls, by a long shot

charons-voyage t1_ja3c0ew wrote

I’ve been bit by a golden (and a labradoodle) before. They bite but they release. They don’t go for the kill like bully breeds.

UncleRicosWig t1_ja3detn wrote

Yeah exactly. Same thing after being nipped by my friend’s German shepherd as a kid. The dog released right away. I think some people on here who think it’s just the ‘media’ that try and make out pit bulls bad should venture over to that sub Reddit ‘ban pit bulls’ and see the damage they can do. Doesn’t matter whether they come from a good or bad home.

yeahigotnothing t1_ja4awxy wrote

How many stitches did you need for that vicious chihuahua attack?

[deleted] t1_ja35fh1 wrote

The only dog I’ve ever been attacked by are Boston Terriers, multiples that were owned in succession by a little old lady. Therefore, anecdotally, no one should own Boston Terriers. No one is blaming the child for a thing that a dog did, or things that the owner should’ve or shouldn’t have done. The pearl clutching pit bulls are bad crybabies on here need to shut the fuck up, most of you couldn’t tell a pittie from an American Bulldog, from a Doberman. It’s all a Pit Bull if it has short hair and bit someone.

−10

[deleted] t1_ja33j5c wrote

[deleted]

Sylentskye t1_ja4wtyc wrote

I’m sure I’m going to get downvoted, but I anecdotally see a lot of dog attacks come down to a few things, breed aside:

A. Unfamiliar dogs/people
B. Entitled or careless owners
C. Lack of respect for/infantilizing dogs
D. Lack of training/management/boundaries
E. Indiscriminate dog breeding/unknown lineage
F. Suppression or lack of follow through on non-human attacks (or dog is so small it doesn’t cause the same level of damage but is still a menace)

This situation should have never happened, regardless of breed because one should not leave kids alone/unsupervised with unfamiliar dogs! Heck, even if one knows the dog, one should think very carefully about leaving children unattended. Dogs are dogs no matter how cute and fuzzy they are. The best way to make sure a situation doesn’t happen is to avoid setting up an environment where it can happen.

And as much as it is sad, I do think there are some dogs that just aren’t “right” and they do need to be put down. Fair to the dog? No. But odds are that dog shouldn’t have been made in the first place. But I think if the things I listed were addressed, we’d have much fewer attacks in general.

IamSauerKraut t1_ja67ppo wrote

>odds are that dog shouldn’t have been made in the first place.

Read an article in billypenn that the top FBI agent in Philly shot a pittie the other day. She was sitting in a park with her little pooch on her lap when the pittie snatched her pooch. Right off her lap! She shot the pittie dead. No word on the condition of her own dog.

Sylentskye t1_ja6cc1j wrote

I don’t doubt that pittie would snatch food off the owner(s) plates too if it had the chance. Not because it’s a pit necessarily (I’ve met some amazing ones) but because the owners refuse to be responsible. I don’t disagree with what the agent did; I wish more people looked at leashes as protecting their dog and not iMpEdiNg tHeiR frEeDoM.

frozenhawaiian t1_ja32r2g wrote

There are breeds that are annoying without proper training and care. then there are breeds that are deadly without proper training and care.

No_Landscape4557 t1_ja2q9x0 wrote

A pit, Of course it is.

flick-your-bic-bro t1_ja3rsa8 wrote

Pitbulls love to maul small children. why the fuck do people own these ugly, hyper-aggressive, dangerous animals. Like as a society we just get rid of pitbulls, like why is it the "dog" in all these stories are always pitbulls: they are literally bred to be aggressive.

baxterstate t1_ja306qk wrote

A pitbull is like a gun that can load, aim and pull its own trigger. At random. Would you buy such a gun?

Metal_Worldly t1_ja351xi wrote

So we'll put my friend. Guns are so scary, sure stare at it for an hour what happens. Stare at a dog owned by an ass for an hour let me know what happens.

−5

kirbypotimus t1_ja5okgz wrote

I think you missed the point of the comment. It wasn't anti-gun, so slow down John Wayne.

emptycoils t1_ja2s2yx wrote

Remember that ad campaign about asking if there are guns in the home before sending your kids over to play? I took that one to heart… with pitbulls instead of guns.

My kids have a great time at their friends’ houses that have pugs and labs and shit.

charons-voyage t1_ja3ca5z wrote

Pediatricians even ask this shit! As soon as we said we had a Lab they were like “ok great not a bully breed”. Like I get it, some pits are sweet and gentle, but they can turn aggressive quickly and the result can be catastrophic.

UhaRugger1 t1_ja3oa5p wrote

My sibling was bit in the face by a lab. Almost got their eye. People assuming all labs are ok isn't great either.

IamSauerKraut t1_ja689up wrote

No one assumes every dog is great. But some are definitely dangerous.

−2

MildEnigma t1_ja3ai6h wrote

My kid’s friend has a non pit who bites every kid who goes to that kid’s house so now the friend only comes to our house and we stay off their property.

Unable-Bison-272 t1_ja4bdzg wrote

Parents need to report that. A dog that bites every kid it meets needs to be culled.

UncleRicosWig t1_ja30gje wrote

Yes! When my daughter begins school next year, and begins to go over friends homes, you bet I’ll be asking what kind of dog you have over there

Seyword t1_ja30zx6 wrote

90% of pits might be perfectly safe pets to own (with proper training) but when 99% of all dog attacks are pits, there’s a problem. Unfortunately they are the breed that populates the shelters and for some reason people who can’t even take care of themselves love to get pit-bulls.

Engineering_is_life t1_ja3a4qj wrote

https://petkeen.com/dog-bite-statistics/

According to CDC dog bite statistics, more than 4.5 million people report being bitten by dogs each year in the United States.

More than 800,000 people per year report requiring medical attention for their dog bites.

About 30–50 people are killed by dogs each year. In 2020, 46 people were killed.

Children are the most common victims of dog bites.

Between 2000–2018, 45.9% of dog bite deaths occurred in people under 16 years old

Over 13 years, the highest percentage of dog bite deaths were in children 2 years old or younger.

Dog bite injuries in children increased during 2020 and the coronavirus pandemic.

California and Texas reported the most dog bite fatalities between 2005–2017.

More than 25 breeds were responsible for dog attack fatalities over the 20 years examined by this study.

4% of dog bite fatalities were not caused by the family pet.

In 2019, only 10% of the reported dog bite deaths could be linked to a specific breed.

Pit Bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were held responsible for 75% of the fatal attacks where the breed was identified.

Dogs with short, wide heads who weigh between 66–100 pounds are most likely to bite.

The three breeds with the highest percentage of reported dog bites in one study were Pit Bulls, mixed breeds, and German Shepherds.

A survey conducted in Colorado in 2007–2008 found that Labrador Retrievers were responsible for the most dog bites in the state during that year.

More than 700 cities have breed-specific laws or breed bans as of 2020.

$854 million was paid by insurance companies for dog bite injuries in 2020.

The average cost for a dog bite insurance claim in 2020 was $50,245.

More than 900 ER visits per day are for dog bite injuries.

9,500 people per year are hospitalized for dog bites.

https://www.aspca.org/improving-laws-animals/public-policy/what-breed-specific-legislation

There is no evidence that breed-specific laws make communities safer for people or companion animals. Following a thorough study of human fatalities resulting from dog bites, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) decided to strongly oppose BSL. The CDC cited, among other problems, the inaccuracy of dog bite data and the difficulty in identifying dog breeds 

ManThing910 t1_ja4ap4r wrote

My neighbor on one side has a pit and a staffordshire. The neighbor on the other side has a GSD. What’s my defense plan for my kids? Getting an Irish Wolfhound / Mastiff mix for sheer impressiveness?

Engineering_is_life t1_ja4hc32 wrote

You're asking me what kind of dog you should get to fight off other dogs?

If I were to make a wild guess, I'd probably say some kind of wolf/dog hybrid. But I'm not exactly a professional dog fighter

ManThing910 t1_ja4hl8w wrote

Nah not to fight, just to give the pits and GSDs a good scare. I’m thinking Irish wolfhound for size, I like the idea of some wolf in there for sheer scariness.

−2

shuaaaa t1_ja4tzt6 wrote

Another GSD, size doesn’t always matter when it comes to that. GSD will also be the sweetest, most loyal, and protective of their family in my opinion. My boy is very intimidating looking but he’s the kindest and a big baby, he sucks on a blanket to sleep

gherberto t1_ja5yac0 wrote

Have been trying to find someone else bringing up German shepherds 😂 I have 3, they are the sweetest family dogs, wouldn’t hurt a soul unless you deserved it, and love the family to death. If anyone thinks they need a pit bull, nah fuck that get a sheppy

shuaaaa t1_jaahy4d wrote

Mmhm, funny story actually, I brought him to day care a few times and they had 4 different groups that they sort them into, Ivan was put in the “baby” group. He’s 100lbs

IamSauerKraut t1_ja68iel wrote

>Pit Bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were held responsible for 75% of the fatal attacks where the breed was identified.

The important part for the apologists.

Engineering_is_life t1_ja73jyg wrote

Who's apologizing? The commenter claiming 99% was spreading false information. Does that just not matter anymore?

IamSauerKraut t1_ja7qrgz wrote

Folks certainly know the 99% is hyperbole. More important is the large chunk of deaths attributed to pitties. And, no, I do not believe the "CDC is wrong" yipping.

[deleted] t1_ja35k0q wrote

Where do you get this statistic that 99% of all dog attacks are Pits? I call bullshit

Seyword t1_ja364mo wrote

It’s all public record. Need to search for serious attacks only. The numbers get more skewed if you looks up bites in general.

−9

[deleted] t1_ja38lhe wrote

So should all breeds that are responsible for fatalities be banned or euthanized? Because I looked it up, pits (dna tests are not done to prove this, so categorizing these dogs is anecdotal) were responsible for 284 fatalities, or 65% of total. You then have German Shepherds who were responsible for 111 fatal attacks last year. Should those all be banned or euthanized (I’m not saying that you’re suggesting this, simply going with the tenor of this thread). Because if anyone keeps going down this list you eventually get to labs and anything else that isn’t a 3lb ankle biter.

Seyword t1_ja3abai wrote

My stance isn’t against ownership of the breed. But no one should have them around small children, especially when the are unfamiliar with them. There should be harsh punishment to owners that subject children/adults to these situations.

[deleted] t1_ja3bmai wrote

Just for pits? Or is there a harsh punishment for you in mind, for having small children around the type of dog that killed 111 people last year? I agree with punishments for owners who keep a bad dog, it’s their responsibility. That, however, is regardless of breed.

Seyword t1_ja3dyh6 wrote

Pit bulls (along with some other breeds) need additional training and support during their lives. They are not “family dogs”. We should restrict what type of people can acquire certain breeds.

[deleted] t1_ja3gpqg wrote

What “type of people “ is it that shouldn’t be allowed a dog? And how does that translate to litany of other societal problems that are far more likely to end in fatality, considering you’re more likely to be killed by lightning than a dog. Edit: the figures of 284 put bull fatalities and 111 German shepherd fatalities were years 2016 through 2022, averaging about 31 total dog fatalities annually. 38 people die from lightning strikes each year, on average. Your solution is reactionary.

Remarkable-Ad-1885 t1_ja39ntm wrote

This is devastating but I wish y’all had this energy when men attack children

TylerJL19 t1_ja5ipxn wrote

I mean I think everyone has a big problem with people attacking children and if that was the story we would be talking about that, I don’t know why y’all always use every story to talk about some other unrelated thing.

imdone5555 t1_ja3ya3s wrote

Why do people adopt pit bulls? It is always the same dog in all these articles.

Old_Description6095 t1_ja4sf8e wrote

This is what people don't understand about pit bulls.

If you're their owner, they're sweet and nice to you. But once you have kids, or have them around someone weaker...if you're not around, they may attack. They're emotionally unstable dogs that were bred to fight.

So, yes, they are super nice....but mostly to their owners.

Either way, every dog has to be trained around human children, at the very least not to bully them, push them out of the way, or hump them.

I personally know a child that was attacked by the family pit.

Not a family dog breed.

IamSauerKraut t1_ja6865x wrote

In Ohio a few weeks ago, a pittie attacked its owner. Mauled her to death. Woman had owned the dog for years. The breed was bred to fight other dogs. Was not bred to be a house pet.

[deleted] t1_ja37hij wrote

[deleted]

mymaineaccount46 t1_ja3n2kn wrote

Shelters can be really bad about making clear a dog's temperament. Years ago I adopted a GSD that they swore was good with other animals.

In under a week it Turned out it absolutely was not good with other animals and went after someone's small dog. Had to return him the next day since it just wasn't gonna work in our home with a small animal.

I know shelters try their best but this creates dangerous situations.

UhaRugger1 t1_ja3nxzx wrote

My aunt and uncle had a similar issue with a lab. It bit my sibling in the face. Then bit two more kids and a grandparent after that. But because it was lab, the rescue just assumed it was good to go.

Stickyfynger t1_ja46bdm wrote

How people are still breeding those is unfathomable. Poor kids got a tough recovery ahead of her.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja39bm3 wrote

Calling the dog "a pitbull type" is irresponsible journalism. There are many dogs that could be described that way.

I'm very sad for the girl, but I'm also sad for the dogs who get misrepresented over and over in the media.

And shame on people who immediately jump to "of course it's a pitbull" conclusions.

lucidlilacdream t1_ja3ps75 wrote

Most shelter dogs get labeled pit mix if they have short hair and any kind of pit feature. Heck, my very clearly a yellow lab mix was labeled as pit mix when I got him. So, just something to consider.

I will say, Maine does have a big problem with off lease dogs that owners swear are friendly and elderly people with dogs that are just too energetic for them. I’ve had my dog snapped at a few times now by untrained dogs owned by elderly people 75-80+ who just cannot control the dog. And, unfortunately, I think a lot of people are also adopting dogs from shelters, and shelter dogs tend to be more challenging and can have unpredictable pasts. I do think people end up with aggressive dogs from shelters that were not forthcoming with the behavior of the dog. I say this as someone with two shelter dogs (not pits before anyone downvotes). They are not aggressive but they are high maintenance dogs that needed a lot of socializing and training, and their personalities were not what the shelter had described.

If I got a dog again, frankly, I’d adopt a puppy of a predictable breed. There’s also an issue with these rover and dog sitting apps because anyone can become a dog sitter because they like dogs and need money whether or not they have experience with training dogs, which, clearly, can be really dangerous.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja3qmtw wrote

I'm surprised at that, regarding your pup. I've worked at multiple shelters and they usually go out of their way to NOT say pitbull, for a list of reasons. My experience would say the exact opposite of what you have stated regarding "most shelter dogs".

lucidlilacdream t1_ja3snmu wrote

I didn’t get my dog in the northeast, so it could be regional. And it doesn’t say pitbull, it says pit mix. I noticed that with almost all medium sized dogs when I got my dog. My dog doesn’t even have any pit features. He has a long face and looks like a lab. He does have shortish hair, but not the same kind of hair as pits. So, I remember it being weird. Conversely almost all small dogs were labeled chihuahua mix.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja3t18u wrote

Could be. Or just that specific shelter. One of the shelters I worked at was in the southeast (a SW Virginia Humane Society), and it was as I mentioned. We'd do anything we could to not label a dog that way.

lucidlilacdream t1_ja3t3v6 wrote

This was in the southwest. I don’t know what the rules are. Humane society may be different than the county shelter as well in terms of whatever system they use.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja3ubz6 wrote

Could be. Like I said before, I've worked at a few different kinds of shelters, in different areas, and it's been pretty consistent regarding this topic.

I mentioned the southeast shelter specifically because in my experience that neck of the woods still has a very long way to go regarding how they treat animals, yet they still had policies like I described.

Unable-Bison-272 t1_ja4cd5i wrote

My local shelter is almost exclusively pits or pit mixes. They are almost invariably labeled as labs or lab mixes. The shelters know they aren’t safe as house pets, most people know they aren’t safe so the shelters lie.

−1

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja4eqvr wrote

That's 100% not true. There are many reasons why a shelter would try to not use the word pitbull when describing a dog, but it is absolutely NOT because "they know they aren't safe as house pets".

The absolute worst case scenario for a shelter is a bad adoption, for many reasons. Shelters have nothing to gain, and alot to lose if they're having adoptions end poorly.

First and foremost, most of these dogs are mixed breed, so let's get that bit out of the way.

Now, as an example as to why a shelter would avoid using a pitbull label on a dog? Many places (apartment complexes, condos, gated communities) have self imposed rules that don't allow certain breeds, and often it includes pitbulls. So by avoiding that label, shelters are increasing the opportunities for the dog to find a home.

AmericanMinotaur t1_ja3if0r wrote

Okay so I’m all for discussing possible solutions to dog attacks, but I think we should try to keep it respectful. Listen, I like pitbulls. I respect your right to not like pitbulls. I even respect your right to hate pitbulls and want them dead.

We need to remember however, that this is the comment section about a child who was mauled and this comment section has devolved into insulting people.

I’m not trying to lecture people, you’re allowed to have your opinion, I just think it might be a good idea to stick to this specific article instead of making broad statements.

‘All Pitbulls should die.’ Is not a realistic solution to the issue, and while you can have that view, stating it here will only lead to more arguments and this just doesn’t seem respectful to this girl.

There are subreddits on here that are both for and against pitbulls ownership and I think that those points might be better brought up there.

TLDR: I don’t think anyone is in the wrong here, but I think this comment section has become a war zone and a separate post about pitbulls might be a more appropriate place to have this debate, instead of on this particular post about a mauled child.

Unable-Bison-272 t1_ja4dc8d wrote

I don’t think they should die. They should however be sterilized and breeding them should be banned.

AmericanMinotaur t1_ja4e7y2 wrote

That’s totally fine. You can believe that. I just think that we should tone down the discourse under this post specifically out of respect for the victim and move this discussion to it’s own post. Again I don’t think anyone has done anything wrong, I just think it would be a good idea to discuss this somewhere else.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_ja4poy6 wrote

Yeah, I’m going through this comment section and there are very few comments that actually mention the victim whose life has been drastically altered forever in any way. It’s just people arguing about pit bulls. Seems a shame.

AmericanMinotaur t1_ja5hx76 wrote

I hope she’s okay. One thing that made me feel a little better was reading "And she doesn't hate all dogs, at least; that's what she told me. She just doesn't want to see that one again," she continued.”. Going through life being terrified of dogs would be very hard considering they’re everywhere, so I’m glad it seems she won’t have to be afraid all the time. No one would blame her if she was though. I’m sure that despite what happened she will go on to live a happy fulfilling life. She seems to have a good family who can support her.

Unable-Bison-272 t1_ja5iqac wrote

She’s not ok. She’s never going to be ok again. And every asshole defending fighting dogs over a little girl should be ashamed of themselves.

AmericanMinotaur t1_ja5jxny wrote

I’m trying to be optimistic because I want things to turn out alright for her. Yeah she won’t be the same, but I don’t want to write her off as someone destined to a miserable life because of this one event. Also again, as I said above, I don’t want to fight about pitbulls with people because I don’t think this is an appropriate place to do it. If someone wants to make a post about pitbulls ownership laws in Maine, go ahead, but I don’t think it’s respectful to do it here.

UncleRicosWig t1_ja30bkz wrote

If there is one breed of animal that should go extinct….

[deleted] t1_ja368gh wrote

What the fuck do you think someone’s German Shepherd could do you and your kid? Do you notice that the police and military use German Shepherds a rather than Pits? Reactionary assholes are the breed that need to go extinct

−2

Beginning_Key2167 t1_ja37tmw wrote

German shepherds are nothing like pit bulls though. You rarely if every hear of one randomly mauling a kid. We have had a couple German shepherds over the years and they are smart sweet and friendly. They only thing our dogs would have done to a kid is steal there food. They use the because they are smart and can be trained. They follow commands. Pit bulls won’t stop on command as the many videos out there show. Once they are attacking they are almost impossible to stop.

[deleted] t1_ja39jdt wrote

The statistics say that they killed 111 people in 2022, pits killed 284, so yes, you very rarely hear of it, even though it happens 40% of the time that a pit bull fatally attacked someone. The reason for that is that every bully breed dog that attacks someone is identified as a Pit Bull by someone unqualified to identify dogs, and it’s a sensational story when it’s a Pit Bull, for some reason. Look at the people on this thread. Never once last year did you hear of the 111 people killed by German Shepherds, yet Pit Bulls should all be killed and I’m an asshole for having one. ( I have a rescue, didn’t get it for the breed) I’ve had a couple Pits over the years, and they’re just as sweet and gentle as any Shepherd I’ve ever met, and I’ve never seen a cop use one to maul somebody.

Beginning_Key2167 t1_ja3ccls wrote

Where did you find that? I couldn’t find it. You don’t see them used by cops because German shepherds are used by cops because they can be trained to attack and also stop on command.

StarWarder t1_ja3h4ij wrote

Can I have that citation?

[deleted] t1_ja3w75b wrote

No, because I’m useless. It’s pitbullinfo.org, the 3rd or 4th thing that comes up when you google “dog bite statistics by breed”

Unable-Bison-272 t1_ja4cncz wrote

GS dogs are smart, trainable and predictable. That’s why police and the military use them.

[deleted] t1_ja4d2dm wrote

True, I’m not actually arguing that there’s anything wrong with the breed. Police use them instead of short haired breeds because they’re hardy in cold weather climates also.

−1

UncleRicosWig t1_ja371ue wrote

Aww you mad cuz I don’t like pit bulls? Whatever dude. This dog will be euthanized I’m sure, and that’s one less shit ass pit on this planet. And yes I’ve been nipped by German shepherds. Pits are dumb fucks, as well as their owners

[deleted] t1_ja37cbg wrote

Ha, go fuck yourself, you self righteous piece of shit.

UncleRicosWig t1_ja38bp5 wrote

You calling me names ain’t changing my opinion ha ha ha

MrHandyMan23 t1_ja46gku wrote

Simple google search

Pitbull attacks in recent years (not specified)

Attacks: 3,397 Deaths: 295

German Shepherd

Attacks: 113 Deaths: 15

[deleted] t1_ja4dnib wrote

And go to the site I suggested to see why that data is skewed. There all “pit bulls” because someone said they are.

theora55 t1_ja497w2 wrote

Pitbulls are not the most likely to bite or attack. But if they do attack, they are much more likely to persist and cause serious harm.

When I have looked at shelter pups in Maine, the pitbull mixes were usually called lab mix.

I've met sweet bit bulls, but they are very strong and not an appropriate pet for me. On ice, a pit bull would too easily pull me off balance. I have a poodle, low prey drive, has learned calm leash manners.

Pit bulls are the dogs most likely to be euthanized. Of dogs I've known that had unplanned litters, it's always pitbulls. So, so many pit bulls at shelters.

Some hypermacho individuals get pitbulls to look tough and aggressive; the dogs are not properly trained, not neutered, and too often abandoned.

Neighbor next door has a pit bull pup; she's training him well, gives him lots of exercise and attention; I like him and appreciate his owner's diligence. Another neighbor has an intact Amer. Staffordshire. He's a beautiful animal whose owner takes good care of him, but if he attacked, it would be very dangerous. Both of these dogs were abandoned by their previous owners.

I used to have a small dog, and the number of parents who allow or encourage kids to behave badly with small dogs is wild. I had to be super-vigilant, because no matter what ground rules I set, parents would ignore them. The dog would be the one to suffer if he bit a misbehaving child who took his toy or crowded/ pulled/ teased him too much. Currently have a poodle; kids love her velvety fur, and she shows no aggression, but I always supervise.

My child was attacked by an unsupervised dog and was fortunately okay; the owners were absolutely irresponsible. I feel so bad for this child who has been harmed for life.

Metal_Worldly t1_ja5qd3h wrote

I may have worded my comment poorly, I am far from anti gun. Your comment was so well said I may have chosen poorly when replying.

do_u_like_dudez t1_ja3bknj wrote

I’ve never been much of a dog person because I find their fur and dander disgusting. Now that I have a child, I basically assume every large dog is trying to kill or maul him. The obsession with pit bulls is extremely troubling.

UncleRicosWig t1_ja3orww wrote

I grew up with dogs so I personally don’t have a fear of most breeds. When it comes to children though, I’m extra cautious when big dogs are near. You just never know

Dvx_Vinc52 t1_ja3ptib wrote

That’s your privilege certainly, and I’m not here to criticize. I would however say, that you should be careful not to exhibit a panicked, petrified demeanor around a dog that approaches you or your child, or it will very likely make the situation worse.

−4

do_u_like_dudez t1_ja5q6jd wrote

Be cool baby, wouldn’t want to upset the death fiend

Dvx_Vinc52 t1_ja5rzib wrote

Truth be told, I’d be less worried about a toddler panicking, than I would you. You’re right…probably better to threaten and antagonize it. Good Luck!

−2

TylerJL19 t1_ja5i9kn wrote

Don’t even need to click the link and I know it was a Pitbull or Rottweiler

AGstacker1978 t1_ja3728c wrote

You know whenever you see a pit bull on a leash…there is an idiot at the other end of the leash.

[deleted] t1_ja37p7w wrote

Wow, what the fuck? I have a rescue pit, because unfortunately they are a plentiful resource coming from the south. But feel free when you see me walking mine, to tell me what a moron you think I am, you ignorant fucking cumstain.

PinkLemonade2 t1_ja39tp2 wrote

These people are insane. Right there with ya, with my rescue pitty.

GuppyGB t1_ja48y1o wrote

They're ALL rescues. They're usually the only dog you'll find in a shelter. It's the poor man's dog. "Rescue" LMAO.

[deleted] t1_ja4crvh wrote

By which you mean what? Because I choose not to buy an $2000 puppy from a breeder, that makes your yuppie asses better than everyone? I know plenty of people with the means to buy dogs, myself included, who won’t

AGstacker1978 t1_ja3nb1c wrote

Case closed…lol

−4

[deleted] t1_ja3vtqr wrote

Yeah, I’m an idiot for standing up for everyone who owns a type of dog. You’re a mouthy pussy though, case closed.

GuppyGB t1_ja48ki7 wrote

Yep. Usually an overweight disabled poor person with a baggy clothes and rotten teeth.

−6

Eapz t1_ja6kwnu wrote

Oh shut the fuck up you classist piece of shit. Enjoy spending 4k on your inbred golden doodle (also known as a mixed breed) when there are good dogs being euthanized by the millions across the world. Crawl back in your fucking empathy free hole. Absolute garbage.

meowmix778 t1_ja3g0y7 wrote

Here we have it folks another edition of "reddit experts agree, pitbulls are satan beasts".

Be sure to collect your stickers and upvotes. Can't wait to do again next time.

−5

Eapz t1_ja6m43r wrote

Reminder to you and to any like minded individuals similarly discouraged by these threads - the actual majority doesn’t feel the way the Reddit majority does about pitbulls.
My satan beast says hi ❤️

Gretyl_Angura t1_ja32p1k wrote

Okay, whoa. Saying pit bulls need to die is a bit dramatic. This specific dog most likely needs to and will be put down. I'm so sorry for this littler girl and her family, this is a tragedy. But pitties are not the only dogs that attack people.Their some of the only one that get this level of hate and attention. It has been human interference and raising them to be the poor breed they have become. People need to control their pets. Not everyone should own a dog. It's irresponsible owners that need to be held accountable.

−6

yukiyukiyuuu t1_ja4mz8h wrote

Pitbulls were never called Nanny dogs, just so you know. That is a myth and you can trace back the origins.

Gretyl_Angura t1_ja4oja8 wrote

Oh! Thanks! I'll have to read up on it. Good to know when stuff isn't relevant. Appreciate it!

yukiyukiyuuu t1_ja4p8by wrote

Just google "nanny dog myth" and you'll find alot of information, even from the pro pit bull side. They want people to stop calling them "nanny dogs" as well because it makes dog owners think its ok to leave children alone with them, when it's never ok to leave a child alone with any dog.

Gretyl_Angura t1_ja4pkxh wrote

I'll make sure to adjust my information ☺️ and that's very true. You should never leave a child alone with any dog. ☺️