Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FruitLongjumping6379 t1_j84sl5l wrote

We need more affordable housing! We need more housing in general. Parking lots tho? In a dying town? Retail here has caved. The town needs more humans to keep Freeport alive, no parked cars. Keep LL Bean boot the national brands that don’t add to culture and build more homes!

iceflame1211 t1_j85e9rw wrote

Agreed with all points, but fyi the article specifically notes this isn't an affordable housing apartment complex. If it were, it may have more support.

TheDanMonster t1_j85ftrk wrote

You think the NIMBYs would support an affordable housing project in their lovely and picturesque Maine town? Pfft. Okay.

IStealWaffles t1_j8aq5bu wrote

The best solution is to build apartment complexes in every NIMBY's backyard. The more they scream, the taller the apartment towers get.

Old_Description6095 t1_j860ee2 wrote

I'd love to move to freeport if housing became more affordable there. WTF is wrong with people?!

IllustriousAmbition9 t1_j88grdb wrote

Oh, this will absolutely not be affordable. It'll be condos with gray vinyl laminate flooring starting in the low 600's.

gingerbreadguy t1_j88lke8 wrote

Eh that's like Portland peninsula pandemic pricing. I don't think you're going to get that price in a town with the shittiest food scene in coastal Maine, no night life, and it's just a glorified mall.

metalandmeeples t1_j88muny wrote

But still good public schools, so people with children pay big money. Freeport prices are comparable to Yarmouth and Cumberland which are similarly sized towns.

profmoxie t1_j88isk3 wrote

Some folks don't want affordable housing in their town. They want to keep living there out of reach for most people.

FlyingUdonMonster t1_j85x15g wrote

Nah, keep the Lindt store, too. Those chocolates are expensive, but they're also delicious and about as addictive as crack!

the5thstring25 t1_j860wu6 wrote

And full of poison element traces.

−6

FlyingUdonMonster t1_j865sp6 wrote

So is everything else these days. If I didn't eat anything that ever came on the news because of some contamination or another, I'd die of starvation!

dabeeman t1_j8i3098 wrote

where are you getting that idea? first google result shows freeport grew by over 20%.