Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sowoky t1_itb145n wrote

Why does your keyboard need a raspberry pi or "functions that don't even exist". Your going to be connecting it to a computer, I presume.. make the computer do the work..

LordFly88 OP t1_itb1bfn wrote

I'm going to be connecting it to various computers and I want it to behave the same on all of them without any setup on the computer side.

shubashubamogumogu t1_itb29bc wrote

>I want it to behave the same on all of them without any setup on the computer side.

That's exactly what QMK does on a tiny microcontroller. No need for a Pi.

NintendogsWithGuns t1_itcawor wrote

Pi is inefficient for this task. What you want is a microcontroller, which is fully dedicated and draws less power. Plus there’s more support via QMK, which will do everything you need. Remap keys, change debounce algorithms, add macros, tweak polling rate, cycle RGB effects, you name it.

My advice is to just get an existing PCB and make a custom case. Throw a STM32 in there if you want the best stuff. If you’re dead set on designing everything from the ground up and sticking with a Pi, you’re going to spend months developing the damn thing and it’ll still need an external power source.

LordFly88 OP t1_itcv56v wrote

My original plan was an ESP32, but the pi has the advantage of showing up as HID keyboard. That was the only reason I we thinking of thing that route. I'll definitely check out QMK first.