Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CuriousHatty t1_ix1uc20 wrote

Started turning to Krytox XHT-BDZ for stab wires because of this.
Holee mod was a bit too finicky for me, so I just "plug the butt" with XHT-BDZ. It caaan dry out and settle, but it being thicker than 205g0 helps tons.

CrystalAsuna t1_ix2s9ag wrote

holee modding is a pain in the ass once you have to try and deal with rattly prelubed stab

will keep this in mind

reasimoes t1_ix38vp2 wrote

Tell me about it. Whenever I am dealing with a pre built I always tell the owner: spend a few bucks more on Stabs so we can properly take care of them with the pre lubbing hassle

raijba t1_ix50q7b wrote

When you plug the butt with bdz, do you mean you load it into a syringe? Is there any special trick to getting bdz in a syringe? It looks like it would be too thick to both load and inject. Never worked with it though, but I've been wanting to try. Especially if it's injectable.

CuriousHatty t1_ix52k07 wrote

I just load up a thin brush and apply by hand! I do believe a store out there does have syringes of XHT-BDZ, but I've not found the need to order them.

raijba t1_ix5kwyv wrote

Gonna have to try it, thanks!

sunfaller t1_ix2ep7t wrote

Uses 205g0, a thin lube. Wonders why there's rattle.

The rattle comes from the wire. The trick is to use a thick lube so the wire is suspended inside the lube and won't touch the insides of the stem or at least won't make a sound when doing so.

For the housing, you can use 205g0.

[deleted] t1_ix2g52t wrote

[deleted]

−15

RepresentativeKeebs t1_ix2iz8p wrote

"Not thin" compared to what? Point is that a thicker lube works better for stabs.

kevidoplz t1_ix2kooy wrote

Yeah, for switches

205g0 is thin for stabs, it works of course, but dialectric grease works better

NixieType t1_ix1gm9d wrote

Try TX stabs. Only ones I’ve not had any rattle with so far.

samvvell t1_ix2fcrf wrote

I've had good luck with OwlStabs too

NixieType t1_ix2gyux wrote

I’ve heard good things but I’ve never tried these. Might give them a shot.

samvvell t1_ix2hgb6 wrote

Definitely worth a shot! I've been very happy with mine. I've got some Staebies coming in now, pretty excited to give them a shot.

CuriousHatty t1_ix4wiwj wrote

Built two QK65s and I find the included OwlStabs to be quite comparable to Durock V2s. The most notable difference I've found is that the rear gap on the stem is quite small, so "plugging the butt" can be a bit more difficult/messy.
They include small wire "rests" which are a novel idea, but do mind that too much padding (included PE foam layer, etc) WITH the wire rest can add too much upward pressure and friction to the wire, which slows down the key.

sid-from-tir-na-nog t1_ix2utre wrote

Yes TX Stabs are great and also Staebies!

NixieType t1_ix3xvtt wrote

Tbh I actually hate staebies. The tighter tolerances make them feel like they are holee modded which is bad IMO. This also creates problems if the plate/pcb is slightly warped as the stem rubs against the housing. Light lube helps, but you can’t put too much or they won’t return at all. I’d use durock or wuque before staebies. There’s a reason why stabilizers never had tolerances that tight before.

cpt-j4ck t1_ix36k7o wrote

Hell yeah, staebies are the goat. Smoothest stabs I have ever used.

AvengeBirdPerson t1_ix2gw4k wrote

Same, just some 205g0 and they sound better than my holee modded and lubed Durock stabs

ZulkarnaenRafif t1_ix7stum wrote

TX Stabs is the only stabilizer kit that for some reason don't need any lube to be tick / rattle free.

Meanwhile, if I want to "save" money, I'd go with Cherry Clip Ins because TX Stabs apparently sell better than literal cookies and Durock V2 is more expensive and needed a lot of tuning to be tick free anyways.

ven_ t1_ix2zd6g wrote

Glorious V2 have been really great for me but you need to lube them good or they can get stuck because they are very tight.

Aaroneb t1_ix2aqoi wrote

Gotta get that xht-bdz for stabs

c_pardue t1_ix1vizx wrote

It's too thin for that dude

tokenmillenial t1_ix3nl10 wrote

Dielectric grease for your stab wires is a godsend. Thicccc af and cheap. I do find though holee modding is a good insurance policy against rattle though.

Stabilizer tuning is absolutely the most annoying part of the build process.

yfa17 t1_ixbswt0 wrote

Heavy agree, dielectric grease is way easier to apply than 205 or BDZ. BDZ is crazy overrated and over priced.

You can even skip holee modding entirely by using a stab syringe with dielectric grease to fill the wire hole after the fact

tokenmillenial t1_ixck8m0 wrote

Ah, I’ve been burned by not holee modding. Plugging the butt doesn’t quite fix it all the time.

TaxSpecific1697 t1_ix2qi3q wrote

I’ve tried everything that is main stream and the best one I found that is most consistent is holee mod with Durock, as Durock has such high tolerance that it doesn’t become mushy after holee

Pasigress t1_ix2ydtv wrote

The easy solution is to just remove the stabs!

Tone-Has-Changed t1_ix2ntv6 wrote

I hate stabs! They can GF'd! I recently used TX Stabs and they rocked my world.

pancrudo t1_ix34c9k wrote

I may have gone a bit extreme in this.... But I used heat shrink over the length of the bar and then used anti-seize.

paradoxally t1_ix4l1io wrote

That's why you use dielectric grease. 😄

BioniqReddit t1_ix3mgt7 wrote

try a higher grade (e.g. 205g2) or use some kind of bandaid/pad mod

Ihadtosubscribe t1_ix3n4c2 wrote

Try wrapping the wire with teflon. No seriously, it works very well. Start wrapping on the short side and end in the middle, so that it won’t unwrap

yfa17 t1_ixbt26k wrote

Until it doesn't or has lube over top. Once you lube over it and it starts peeling, the stab becomes a mess.

Not worth it over using just lube imo

Ihadtosubscribe t1_ixfl537 wrote

if you wrap it correctly (the start of the tape is covered by wrapping over it and you end in the middle, where there's no lube and doesn't grind against the stem since it stays still) there's no way it peels. Been good for the past 7 months which is light years ahead of whatever you can achieve with lube or any other mod. You could actually barely lube the stab and it would still sound fine.

yfa17 t1_ixfpd7e wrote

I'm 100% sure I did it correctly wrapping it over the start. This is well documented in the thockpop discord which made this popular.

I tried using OWLstabs and it was peeling within a month after lubing. Switched to plugging with a syringe on Tx stabs and haven't looked back since.

kaysn t1_ix3tqxb wrote

I just use dielectric grease. I found it far more consistent with dealing with stab rattle. If I feel fancy I do a holee and band-aid mod.

mbgrizzly6 t1_ix6ukv3 wrote

The stab rattle will always be there

ZulkarnaenRafif t1_ix7sqbb wrote

Wire stabilizing works a hell lot more than I thought it would be.

Especially when the lube fails. Turns out, the wires were off balance.