Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5q8wgj wrote

Tester68 (AliExpress) HolyPandas (AliExpress) Retro style, XDA profile, PBT keycaps by TaroDepato (Etsy)

AymcHD t1_j5qgsnn wrote

How good is the Tester68? I thought about getting it as well for a beginner build for my gf

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5qx2f6 wrote

It’s a decent no soldering, plug and play keyboard.

Pros:

• Easy to assemble out of the box (hot swappable)
  • Very affordable
  • Fun colors
  • the stock stabilizers are surprisingly great
  • Dongle + storage spot for the dongle

Cons:

• Hollow sound (easily fixed if you don’t like the sound
  • No wired option
  • AAA Batteries required

AymcHD t1_j5qxliw wrote

wait so is it solely bluetootch and no USB option?

(and thank you so much for your time/effort)

shieZer t1_j5qytxg wrote

It is just a wireless keyboard, that I don't know why, but it's good for trying out stuff ig.

AymcHD t1_j5qzxl0 wrote

it not having any usb options sucks :(

dlowah t1_j5r0v8s wrote

i recommend the gas67 as a wired alternative if you were thinking about getting the tester68

atflp t1_j5stnbb wrote

And what about RK68, or akko 3068b? Which would be the best budget wired alternative for TES68?

BTW there is a workaourd to make the TES68 to be always connected using USB-C cable. The USB-C cable only feed the TES68 with power instead of AAA batteries, the USB dongle is still needed to communicate with the computer.

​

To reflect to the post. Great keeb, good job! :)

monkeyofficeboy t1_j5ug7tn wrote

If it helps it does have 2.5GHz wireless too. It's a pretty decent budget board, well worth looking at, and it takes customisation pretty well too.

ultratiem t1_j5sdyb5 wrote

It’s got 2.4 (via dongle) that stores on the back beside the batteries.

Blooded_Wine t1_j5qyppc wrote

I built one for my sister, stabs suck; even modded. Changing the stabs $10, adding a set of $50 akko keycaps, tester68 itself $20, switches $?? (some random kalih tactiles I had bought from one of the mystery sales)

The wireless performance is fine, Bluetooth works, but unless you want either to go ultra cheap (salvaged keycaps, gat yellows), or if you want a different colorscheme, something like the keychron K2 is a nicer board for less money.

samwichgamgee t1_j5s8bnn wrote

I bought the same keycaps, love them!

Coveringland t1_j5tf9fl wrote

What’s the name of the set?

apocryphon_ t1_j5tj28x wrote

On Etsy the listing is titled "Clean Look Keycap Set, XDA Profile, Mac Friendly, PBT, Cherry MX Stem, Retro Style"

samwichgamgee t1_j5vkrgr wrote

I got mine from techiozo but it looks like there are a bunch of duplicates. Mine was called “Apple Inspired Wind - 126 XDA Keycap Set For MX Switches - Mechanical Keyboard DIY Custom Keyset”

Thijm_ t1_j5upwcu wrote

the etsy keycaps probably were the most expensive ?

seamsung t1_j5wp8in wrote

80 bucks for keys

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5wru4a wrote

Oof, I paid about half of that for these- I put them in my cart and left them there for a while until I got the coupon incentive from the seller. I would have bought them through AliExpress too, but the shipping time and cost redirected me to Etsy to try my luck.

seamsung t1_j5wvgtw wrote

im canadian though so for me it says 80 bucks, 90 bucks is what that store prices keycaps and they dont ship here anyway im like 👁💋👁

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5ww9bn wrote

Oof that’s rough. Keep an eye on AliExpress if time isn’t a concern.