Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Airaniel t1_j5qfts2 wrote

The keycaps just look like they'd be so satisfying to press on. I don't know if it's the lighting or the shape or what, but damn

C0NIN t1_j5r9li8 wrote

XDA profile is always a joy to type on, love it!

_Rand_ t1_j5rgi3a wrote

I really have try a xda set sometime, they look nice.

Just haven’t seen one I really like the design of.

C0NIN t1_j5saq4v wrote

Cap10Power t1_j5tzwpg wrote

I might have to make a new account with them just for that drop. My original canvas have been my favourite keycaps for so long

C0NIN t1_j5u4iq7 wrote

Indeed!, I will also enter this round since I only bought the Wolfgang set at the time.

Thijm_ t1_j5upjoe wrote

mannn I love drop, even though I only have a set of headphones from them. I just absolutely love what they do

C0NIN t1_j5v3hm4 wrote

In this case, Drop is just a vendor, but MiTo (MiToRMK) is the one who's really behind the set.

Thijm_ t1_j5v6bwk wrote

ah okay. but still, they are really accessible and have things in stock most of the time

C0NIN t1_j5v8cus wrote

Agree!, I've bought several articles from them since they were MassDrop, but not without a few hiccups: I think it's been around three or four times the Group Buys I entered into took waaay longer than expected, and I ended cancelling one of them that was, coincidentally, an XDA keycap set but from another designer.

Thijm_ t1_j5vblgr wrote

nice! I have been looking at the keycap section for a while now. but those XDA profiles look really intruiging

C0NIN t1_j5wajxa wrote

XDA caps are really comfortable to type with no matter if for hours or only a few phrases, they're such a pleasure to your fingertips not just because of the shape, but also because of the texture they have; besides, due to the fact it's a uniform profile, they look quite elegant and aesthetic on practically any board. Give them a try and you won't regret it.

Thijm_ t1_j680zs3 wrote

im building a Dactyl Manuform would they look good on that ? lol

C0NIN t1_j68s0ln wrote

>would they look good on that ?

I'm sure XDA caps would look great on it!

Thijm_ t1_j6ess83 wrote

I'm planning on 3D printing the keycaps, so trying different profiles shouldn't be too much of a problem

Tardigradium t1_j5rydjx wrote

Check out the this is plastic keycaps in xda....T H O C

Ahegao_Double_Peace t1_j5sqmul wrote

No interference on XDA profile keycaps even if it's shorter than cherry profile?

C0NIN t1_j5tuq68 wrote

Hi, no interference at all, they might be shorter than Cherry ones, but they're flat, so there's no internal slope that could touch the switch.

Ahegao_Double_Peace t1_j5wi6ai wrote

Hmmm, I might try that, then. I've seen a retro colored XDA set in the tone of the original IBM Model M.

yuutsu4074 t1_j5rqj7m wrote

It’s definitely the font and I want this font style to come to something like GMK.

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5q8wgj wrote

Tester68 (AliExpress) HolyPandas (AliExpress) Retro style, XDA profile, PBT keycaps by TaroDepato (Etsy)

AymcHD t1_j5qgsnn wrote

How good is the Tester68? I thought about getting it as well for a beginner build for my gf

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5qx2f6 wrote

It’s a decent no soldering, plug and play keyboard.

Pros:

• Easy to assemble out of the box (hot swappable)
  • Very affordable
  • Fun colors
  • the stock stabilizers are surprisingly great
  • Dongle + storage spot for the dongle

Cons:

• Hollow sound (easily fixed if you don’t like the sound
  • No wired option
  • AAA Batteries required

AymcHD t1_j5qxliw wrote

wait so is it solely bluetootch and no USB option?

(and thank you so much for your time/effort)

shieZer t1_j5qytxg wrote

It is just a wireless keyboard, that I don't know why, but it's good for trying out stuff ig.

AymcHD t1_j5qzxl0 wrote

it not having any usb options sucks :(

dlowah t1_j5r0v8s wrote

i recommend the gas67 as a wired alternative if you were thinking about getting the tester68

atflp t1_j5stnbb wrote

And what about RK68, or akko 3068b? Which would be the best budget wired alternative for TES68?

BTW there is a workaourd to make the TES68 to be always connected using USB-C cable. The USB-C cable only feed the TES68 with power instead of AAA batteries, the USB dongle is still needed to communicate with the computer.

​

To reflect to the post. Great keeb, good job! :)

monkeyofficeboy t1_j5ug7tn wrote

If it helps it does have 2.5GHz wireless too. It's a pretty decent budget board, well worth looking at, and it takes customisation pretty well too.

ultratiem t1_j5sdyb5 wrote

It’s got 2.4 (via dongle) that stores on the back beside the batteries.

Blooded_Wine t1_j5qyppc wrote

I built one for my sister, stabs suck; even modded. Changing the stabs $10, adding a set of $50 akko keycaps, tester68 itself $20, switches $?? (some random kalih tactiles I had bought from one of the mystery sales)

The wireless performance is fine, Bluetooth works, but unless you want either to go ultra cheap (salvaged keycaps, gat yellows), or if you want a different colorscheme, something like the keychron K2 is a nicer board for less money.

samwichgamgee t1_j5s8bnn wrote

I bought the same keycaps, love them!

Coveringland t1_j5tf9fl wrote

What’s the name of the set?

apocryphon_ t1_j5tj28x wrote

On Etsy the listing is titled "Clean Look Keycap Set, XDA Profile, Mac Friendly, PBT, Cherry MX Stem, Retro Style"

samwichgamgee t1_j5vkrgr wrote

I got mine from techiozo but it looks like there are a bunch of duplicates. Mine was called “Apple Inspired Wind - 126 XDA Keycap Set For MX Switches - Mechanical Keyboard DIY Custom Keyset”

Thijm_ t1_j5upwcu wrote

the etsy keycaps probably were the most expensive ?

seamsung t1_j5wp8in wrote

80 bucks for keys

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5wru4a wrote

Oof, I paid about half of that for these- I put them in my cart and left them there for a while until I got the coupon incentive from the seller. I would have bought them through AliExpress too, but the shipping time and cost redirected me to Etsy to try my luck.

seamsung t1_j5wvgtw wrote

im canadian though so for me it says 80 bucks, 90 bucks is what that store prices keycaps and they dont ship here anyway im like 👁💋👁

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5ww9bn wrote

Oof that’s rough. Keep an eye on AliExpress if time isn’t a concern.

GymLeaderKoga t1_j5qckb4 wrote

I've got a set of those caps! I love em.

gngstrMNKY t1_j5skau4 wrote

Option and Command are reversed. That's how MacOS maps a PC keyboard but you should fix it in keyboard settings.

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5ws2po wrote

I would, but my son is using this with his Windows computer and is used to the layout. If it were for me, I would definitely put them in the correct order. If he moves to macOS we’ll make the adjustment.

TheTrueTuring t1_j5qth7a wrote

Omg I need an apple keycap like that!

chbmcg t1_j5st5gg wrote

You can find them for $5 on TaoBao or like $20 on Aliexpress. I’ve got a set and they’re great!

cbarrick t1_j5rk44x wrote

Windows layout with Mac keycaps

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5wsbh2 wrote

Yeah, that’s how my son prefers the setup (he’s currently on Windows but loves my Mac gear). If he switches OS’s at some point and we keep this keyboard, we’ll make the adjustment.

nahkamanaatti t1_j5qyneu wrote

For others who are interested in the keycaps: Don’t buy from etsy. I just bought the same set from aliex for less than half the price.

owoflux t1_j5saryr wrote

I’ve never heard of buying full sets on etsy but I know amazon often has clones for pretty cheap too.

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5wso4z wrote

I got everything else from AliExpress but the Keycaps + shipping + shipping times (when I ordered these) made me look to other sites. It doesn’t always work, but if you add stuff to your cart and walk away, sellers sometimes send you really good discounts.

baretbh t1_j5slhmr wrote

Etsy is amazing you don't know what you're talking about

−11

nahkamanaatti t1_j5smtzm wrote

This etsy guy is literally selling aliexpress keycaps for over double the price. You call that amazing? That kind of thing is also unfortunately quite common in etsy as others have mentioned too. Surely that’s something to be aware of when looking for keycaps, right?

Thijm_ t1_j5uqkxj wrote

that's sad that people do that. I had no idea you could buy full keycap sets on Etsy, I only knew about the artisan keycaps

Mikelightman t1_j5vq5us wrote

Etsy has become another place for resellers. Sure there are plenty of handmade goods too. But there’s a lot of other crap you can get cheaper on Amazon or AliEx.

baretbh t1_j5xip97 wrote

I'm talking about Etsy on a platform but go ahead and twist my words dork

nahkamanaatti t1_j5xm5wy wrote

In my first comment I was talking about this keycap set in particular, which should be quite clear. I’m sure the downvotes hurt but it is kind of embarassing to call others word-twisting dorks who don’t know what they are talking about, when you yourself are the one who misunderstood the whole thing in the first place.

35mmpapi t1_j5r91ca wrote

That's awesome, I love it!

undercovergangster t1_j5rppya wrote

The keycaps look like marshmallows and the grey spacebar is a great contrast to the all-white keyboard. Your son has good taste.

baretbh t1_j5slcly wrote

CMD and option are backwards

magicalMusical t1_j5x9j7s wrote

I can't believe it. A Mac user who doesn't just stick with the poor excuse of a "Magic Keyboard." With a keyboard like that his desktop must look sick.

Snuckerpooks t1_j61xtx1 wrote

The magic keyboard has it's uses. Out of my three keyboards I've had in the past 3 months, it is the one that I can type that fastest with fewer mistakes. But I love my mech more.

RockleyBob t1_j5rmn65 wrote

This really makes me wish we had more choice when it comes to legend fonts. Most of GMK and Domikey's legends are the same comic-sansy bubble font, which means all the cheaper keycap makers do the same thing.

No-Worry5532 t1_j5s75lh wrote

Wow, that looks really good! Those keycaps!!!

milkGANG_drinker t1_j5th62w wrote

the keycaps look fine, personally i dont like the font of the text, but again, like most things in the hobby, its all preference

pingerlol t1_j5uvobt wrote

command is in the wrong spot 🤓

DingoFar6605 t1_j5q8wm3 wrote

Wow! Serious kudos to your son. I would pay for this… seriously. DM me if interested.

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5q9gdo wrote

It’s a really easy build (he’s 10 so we wanted to start with the basics) - Tester68, HolyPandas, & Retro Keycaps

DingoFar6605 t1_j5q9old wrote

You’re an awesome parent. 10 year old me would be ecstatic over being able to build this. Thank you for the resources to make my own 😁

olderbutcromulent OP t1_j5qad7t wrote

Absolutely! The Keycaps were the most expensive part of this build but it took less than 30 mins for everything. We’re going to revisit it after he’s used to it and determine if we need to add foam, tape mod, lube switches, etc — the stock stabilizers are surprisingly great for such a basic, budget board.

beccamecha t1_j5qmy1u wrote

For future reference, I’d avoid buying keycap sets from Etsy as the vast majority are dropshipped and sold for 2-3x the original price!

This set is about 1/2 the cost on average on aliexpress, but the board looks sleek and if I were your son, I’d be stoked 👌🏻👌🏻

[deleted] t1_j5r9efr wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_j5r9ek8 wrote

Unfortunately, Aliexpress and BangGood Links are autofiltered by sitewide reddit spam filters. Sometimes, users will be flagged and suspended from the Reddit platform as a whole due to excessive linking to this or other autoflagged sites. Please keep this in mind when posting or commenting.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−1

dedman1477 t1_j5qpax7 wrote

This is awesome! Great work by your son, and I hope this starts him on a path of future keyboard building!

trusnake t1_j5r2gq6 wrote

That is a very sexy little keeb.

I may or may not be ripping off this idea as we speak ……

Camtheham95 t1_j5r592d wrote

This would be a dream for me when I was 10 😁👍 Amazing job!

impulsedx t1_j5r59zo wrote

Super clean build. What exactly is it?

stiligFox t1_j5s127e wrote

what profile are those key caps? I love the vintage Apple lettering!

agonzal7 t1_j5s4utm wrote

I’d love to see more color ways in xda profile. I swear they’re always light colored. I like these butni just want a black set.

DookieToe t1_j5sf35u wrote

Apple escape but no apple key.

pikkahsss t1_j5sruto wrote

sometimes you look at a keyboard and just KNOW it sounds great. this is one of those times.

cesray t1_j5tzhee wrote

beautiful

Cap10Power t1_j5tzrh8 wrote

Good taste. XDA and a clean aesthetic

Oriumpor t1_j5v94ku wrote

your control key is in the wrong place, it should be up 2 rows.

Deathwalker47 t1_j5x6n2g wrote

That keyboard is absolutely beautiful. I may end up making one myself down the road.

marmoneymar t1_j5zla5c wrote

Have a link to those keycaps? Love the Apple logo key.

grav3d1gger t1_j5tlb5b wrote

Just get the kid hooked on weed it'll be cheaper