Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

berger3001 t1_j9y3uqi wrote

Tell me you’ve never met a human without telling me you’ve never met a human

GRONOlamp t1_j9yz5uh wrote

This song is so underrated

berger3001 t1_j9z4umi wrote

It used to be a hit. Maybe just forgotten about (a little), but I wouldn’t say underrated. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word said about it.

BlackEyedAngel01 t1_j9x1z75 wrote

Also, the covers that give the song a completely different flavor, like Israel Kamakawiwo’ole and Joey Ramone.

Trin_42 t1_ja0asy4 wrote

Ah yes, Izzy’s cover that he recorded in the wee hours of the morning by chance and opportunity is the ultimate gift of flattery to Mr. Armstrong imo.

Historical_Ad1970 OP t1_j9x2gzf wrote

Yeah, both songs transmit something else that you cannot describe with words.

Bear_trap_something t1_j9x3e14 wrote

I think Free Four from Pink Floyd is more appropriate.

That or Epitaph from King Crimson.

foxman276 t1_j9yinsr wrote

I prefer Love’s in Need of Love Today. Major upgrade over What a Wonderful World in my opinion.

FutureBumblebee3693 t1_j9z6n9c wrote

Got to say I've never met anyone who's spirits cannot be lifted by this song .

A beautiful arrangement with such warmth from satchmo

tlbmg1970 t1_j9zpe76 wrote

That song is pure magic, touches anyone who hears it

stomach t1_j9zzdcp wrote

it's also used to be my go-to karaoke song (in certain company). as a skinny unassuming white dude, i can do an alarmingly good louis armstrong impression. now i'd never want to cause smartphones would blast me on socials, and i don't think i could handle the pressures of being super famous for it.

Royaourt t1_j9xifrb wrote

It's a beautiful song.

thegmanza t1_j9xzdub wrote

I get the sentiment but I would have picked What the world needs now

arthur3shedsjackson t1_j9yalad wrote

I personally think it should be Waving my dick in the wind by Ween, but to each his own.

cerpintaxt44 t1_j9yxoeb wrote

If humankind wasn't shit sure

ThisWorldIsAVeil t1_j9yyi2s wrote

Beautiful World by Devo is more on point, especially with the video

Tha_Big_G t1_j9z57ov wrote

'Its a mans world' would be a better choice

BEANNER6969 t1_j9zm4he wrote

I totally agree with that.

Ciordad t1_j9zqbpt wrote

Counterpoint: Bananarama’s it ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it.

MJAVOR1980 t1_j9zzf01 wrote

I prefer The Beatles - Here comes the Sun. My personal anthem during Covid. It’s alright…

mikeyt6969 t1_ja06a6o wrote

This should be the song that plays as the last human lies dying

No_Particular_490 t1_ja0po40 wrote

See, world anthem. This is the kind of thinking we need.

Historical_Ad1970 OP t1_ja0rhtw wrote

Yeah, however I'm not saying countries shouldn't exist, because they should. But I think the humanity should behave as one race to overcome it's problems.

trollinhard2 t1_ja15z2z wrote

Personally I love the song. It means more since I grew up around New Orleans. A band called Slothrust also does a really nice cover of it. Anyone who likes the song should check it out.

JournalistCurious203 t1_ja18mqx wrote

Probably not, but I don’t think it should be the anthem for THIS world/system. Maybe in the hereafter. Here, on earth, after, all tyrants have been removed and the oppressed masses have been liberated.

JustTheBeerLight t1_j9x97xk wrote

That or Woody Guthrie’s This Land Is Your Land

ninjas_in_my_pants t1_j9zsuxk wrote

Great song, but it’s very America-specific.

JustTheBeerLight t1_j9ztxtm wrote

It doesn’t have to be. There’s a universality to it. To me the song transcends borders and eras.

ninjas_in_my_pants t1_j9zvjsp wrote

From California to the New York island. Hard to get around that.

JustTheBeerLight t1_ja001zv wrote

Yeah but if you go the other direction you cover the rest of the globe.

ninjas_in_my_pants t1_ja1wz2k wrote

Leaving out the Mountain States, Midwest, Canada, Central and South America…

JustTheBeerLight t1_ja1x9ml wrote

Nobody said you had to travel in a straight line. Woodie was a meanderer!

TalboGold t1_j9xacg4 wrote

Good one. Also…Nature Boy

SimpleExplodingMan t1_j9xaqfm wrote

It’s always seemed to me a release type song. Heaven. Healing. Big picture stuff.

Uberslaughter t1_j9ylg5g wrote

Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leopard more like

BrimEll t1_j9xe9hg wrote

Na this should be. It is a cover of a Queen song but Laibach did it better. Same positive message too!

https://youtu.be/ZZAD7W3M4zc

God works in mysterious ways Mysterious ways Ah Hey! One man, one goal Ha, one mission One heart, one soul Just one solution One flash of light Yeah, one god, one vision One flesh, one bone, one true religion One voice, one hope, one real decision Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa Give me one vision, yeah No wrong, no right I'm gonna tell you there's no black and no white No blood, no stain All we need is (one worldwide vision) One flesh, one bone, one true religion One race, one hope, one real decision Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa Whoa-yeah, whoa-yeah, oh yeah! I had a dream when I was young A dream of sweet illusion A glimpse of hope and unity And visions of one sweet union But a cold wind blows and a dark rain falls And in my heart, it shows Look what they've done to my dream, yeah! One vision So give me your hands, give me your hearts I'm ready! There's only one direction One world and one nation Yeah, one vision No hate, no fight, just excitation All through the night it's a celebration Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, yeah One, one, one, one, one, one, one One flesh, one bone, one true religion One voice, one hope, one real decision Give me one light, yeah Give me one hope, hey Just give me, ah One man, one man One bar, one night One day, hey, hey Just gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme fried chicken! Vision, vision, vision, vision

−1

BeautifulLoser62 t1_ja03zs6 wrote

THE MEANING OF THIS 🎵 🎶 🎵 SONG, COMES DOWN TO KINDNESS. SOMETHING THIS WORLD 🌎 DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH OF. TO JUDGE IS THE AMERICAN WAY. HYPOCRISY IS ALIVE AND WELL IN AMERICA. YOUR OPINION IS YOUR OWN. YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT ✅️. YOU DO YOU. WHETHER TO JUDGE OR NOT TO JUDGE IS THE QUESTION. LEAVE IT BE.

−1

mikeldmv t1_j9x8r48 wrote

It’s got major Uncle Tom implications for a lot of people and is actually hated by many. You even might get less objections from suggesting something like Free Bird, honestly.

−2

mikeoxsmall2023 t1_j9xaumq wrote

Lmaoo cringe take

mikeldmv t1_j9xc6pl wrote

It’s not my personal take. I’m just letting OP know how unlikely it would be to get support, bc this is the opinion of a lot of people

I’m sure Love Is All You Need is a pretty good guess if there was ever a vote on said topic.

mikeoxsmall2023 t1_j9xd0r8 wrote

What is “Uncle Tom” about it

mikeldmv t1_j9xdlrq wrote

I gave you the basic information and already told you it’s not my argument. Feel free to do the research yourself and come to your own conclusions.

−4

Apostate_Nate t1_j9xw2wv wrote

A lot of what people exactly? I've definitely never heard of this hatred for What a Wonderful World before.

And it doesn't seem that there's any reference to it that google can find either.

Maybe give us some examples, some proof. Otherwise you're pretty much just talking out your butt.

Edit - cool, you're just making shit up in a failed attempt to add weight to an opinion you hold, which is not in fact shared by others. Pretty lame yo. "it's not my personal take", but it seems it actually is your personal take, and one not shared by anyone who ever bothered to say anything to that end in any major media.

mikeldmv t1_j9y5b01 wrote

Ever heard the song Nappy Heads by The Fugees? Sure doesn’t sound like a respectful reference he’s making there to me. Mocking the shit out of him with his impression, and then he says, “But what the fuck was so wonderful 'bout pickin cotton, on a farm?”

Bob O’Meally, the head of jazz studies at Columbia University in New York, remains divided. While lauding Armstrong as “one of the greatest people of the 20th century”, he was “offended by his presentations … At the time of the rise of Malcolm X, the authority of Martin Luther King, examples in the popular media like Muhammad Ali and others, there was Armstrong – a kind of throwback from another era, with this borderline minstrelsy role that he played. I cringed as a black American.”

article

“Armstrong was regularly called an Uncle Tom.”

Armstrong’s hesitancy to speak out against racism was a frequent bone of contention with his fellow black entertainers, some of whom branded him an “Uncle Tom.”

“During the civil rights movement and beyond, many Black Americans viewed Armstrong as a subservient Uncle Tom figure, a perception "Black & Blues" refutes.”

I love the song. The context is that OP is nominating it to be ‘humankind’s anthem’ ffs, so it definitely seems relevant to bring up controversy. I pointed out there would be push back, and generally topics like this become a much bigger deal for much lesser titles.

Apostate_Nate t1_j9y5hu9 wrote

Cool, you took a couple kinda sorta references and a couple articles and decided there was this massive hatred for a well beloved song, let alone the even more loved artist... You do you, but you're hilariously wrong. Half a dozen references and you want to turn that into a giant, monolithic hatred of the guy. It just doesn't track with actual reality, sorry.

Just blocking your contrarian idiocy. Have a great life. It's a wonderful world, after all.

BeautifulLoser62 t1_ja04xg9 wrote

and bread and water...

mikeldmv t1_ja06882 wrote

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science??

BeautifulLoser62 t1_ja4yrvj wrote

MIKELDMV, HOW I RESPONDED WAS NOT WRITTEN IN STONE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY WHAT YOU WANT, JUST AS I DO. THEN AGAIN IT'S JUST AN OPINION.
YOU DO KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINIONS DON'T YOU? HAVE A NICE DAY.

dandle t1_j9x4g52 wrote

I find that song insipid. A veneer of emotionality, constructed with a too-deliberate pop sensibility. The Armstrong original is further compromised by overplay.

−3

whatdoyoumeanupeople t1_j9x8u5y wrote

Not to be rude, just find it interesting when people use the overplayed factor in judging or having an opinion of a song.

dandle t1_j9z3ezv wrote

Wear-out is an observable phenomenon across all types of creative expression. There is a sweet spot of frequency of exposure that, if exceeded, results in loss of interest and engagement.

whatdoyoumeanupeople t1_j9z97v4 wrote

Absolutely does happen. There's things I could go the rest of my life not hearing again, that has nothing to say of the quality or palatability to others experience of such things.

suffaluffapussycat t1_j9xe9mp wrote

Eh, so it’s a sappy pop song. People like it. I find it reasonably effective. Yeah, it ain’t Mahler. But it’s a nice little song.

dandle t1_j9z4tg1 wrote

Sure, people like it. Even though I think it's sappy, too, the Israel Kamakawiwoʻole cover version has real emotional draw. Unfortunately, that version, like the Louis Armstrong original, has been getting a lot of play in recent years. At some point, overplay can make a song less engaging.

whatdoyoumeanupeople t1_ja0ar21 wrote

My takeaway from what you are saying is nobody can do right if they become popular to the point it is "overplayed" it somehow degrades on its quality of a song. I personally don't get it. You know people are born every year and get to discover music as they grow even if they weren't part of the time frame the music was popular. Are we just supposed to throw any music that got too much play out the door because some have heard it too much?

dandle t1_ja0hrgh wrote

Do whatever you want. Musical tastes are subjective and personal. I'm not telling anybody that they aren't entitled to love "It's A Wonderful World."

Does the draw of a song wane if it is overplayed? Yes. Is the degree of wear-out constant across all songs? Of course not. It depends on factors such as how much a particular song is enjoyed by a particular individual and possibly the complexity of the music, which drives a host of neurological responses. Michael Bonshor, a music psychologist at University of Sheffield, has done work in this area.