Submitted by VegetableShredder t3_11bdylu in Music

Lately I've been super into female fronted alt rock bands like Mazzy Star, The Cranberries, The Sundays, Slowdive, Lush etc to name a few.

What are some more bands that have this same beautiful and sad 90's sound?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

KikiG0501 t1_j9xg3hr wrote

Belle & Sebastian have several songs where the female sings lead in that ethereal 90s way. Patty Griffin also has this vibe. As far as groups go, maybe Garbage, Hole, The Breeders, Veruca Salt, or The Cardigans? Also just adding a personal favorite: The Donnas (although they are definitely harder rocking). Bjork also has some great 90s stuff that’s sweet and melodic. Ok, sorry for the long list. I’m done!

WorldPremiere2021 t1_j9xh1rd wrote

Belly. Tanya Donnelly has a great voice. And was in The Breeders too.

goatAlmighty t1_j9xrd5v wrote

Would "Skunk Anansie" fit into that category?

dukedevils32 t1_j9yzl2r wrote

Wild Colonials…start with This Misery. Old group.

The Civil Wars if you want newer. The One That Got Away is where I would start.

blnts4jc t1_j9zd09y wrote

Cool! Glad you like it! I’m not sure if you’ve ever checked out that.dog before but they’re another cool female fronted 90s rock band. They don’t have that “ethereal” quality you’re looking for but they’re pretty dark & moody and would be worth checking out if you’re not familiar!

KikiG0501 t1_j9zmh42 wrote

Is It Wicked Not To Care?

Lazy Line Painter Jane

Dress Up in You

Asleep On a Sunbeam

For the Price of a Cup of Tea

Waiting For the Moon To Rise

Women's Realm

Family Tree

Beyond the Sunrise

Reclaim the Night

These are the ones I could find. There may be more though. Honestly, I only remembered the first song and thought their vocals were mostly female driven, but it looks like they have a good amount of male vocal songs. A couple of these are duets. Hope you enjoy them.

And I would definitely look into Lana Del Rey if you haven’t (I think another poster mentioned her). Her voice is amazing.

Sad0ctopus t1_j9zro18 wrote

Cocteau Twins match some of that ethereal sound you might be looking for. Nothing quite like the Sundays, though. So good.

LazerHack74 t1_ja004rh wrote

try Eddie Brickle and the New Bohemians - their first album (Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars) is very good (for me not a single filler) - well the mood of their songs is definitely different from the likes of Lush and Slowdive (or Cocteau Twins) but maybe you will like it (here's a sample: EB&NewBohemians

oh I forgot about Bel Canto - I really love some of their songs (like this one for example: Bel Canto - Shoulder to the Wheel)

jonah379 t1_ja0519o wrote

Hana Vu is fire, u might like her

Sc00ter7622 t1_ja0b9dq wrote

Silversun Pickups are a pretty good band

whateverkbye t1_ja2hzlu wrote

Fiona Apple, especially her album 'When the pawn...'