Submitted by my_one_and_lonely t3_117xtfw in Music

The best albums, in my opinion, aren’t just collections of songs, but cohesive works of art in and of themselves. Most people don’t consider greatest hits albums worthy of this designation, since they are by design just throwing the best/most popular songs together in an easy package rather than trying to create something unique. However, there are a couple of greatest hits albums that feel like their own thing to me, illuminating something new. Which compilation albums do you feel are at this level?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sasquatchbrokers t1_j9f7a8c wrote

Bob Marley & The Wailers- Legend , got me into Reggae

LadyPresidentRomana t1_j9evbvp wrote

Queen’s Greatest Hits (technically volume 1 of 3), the biggest-selling album of all time in the UK and a gateway to the group for so many people. A comprehensive guide to the early part of their career.

Rockntheworld t1_j9hc7za wrote

It is a very good album. But most of their “ greatest” albums overlook the first three albums to allow for their latter, more popular music.

Primal_Dead t1_j9edlyd wrote

Eagles Greatest Hits Elton John Greatest Hits Steve Miller Greatest Hits Frampton Comes Alive

Peony519 t1_j9ejv9y wrote

James Taylor Greatest Hits

Nizamark t1_j9erk95 wrote

squeeze - singles 45s and under

Volcano_Tequila t1_j9h3o3l wrote

My choice too. It somehow gave them more of a identity or sounded more cohesive than their individual albums up to that time.

MoneySike3000 t1_j9ecg00 wrote

Bob Segar-Greatest Hits. You can put Bobs songs in any order and the album will still sound right. I will Give Tom Pettys Greatest Hits a nod also. One more nod to Steve Miller

KODO5555 t1_j9f7na1 wrote

Bob Marley’s legend is probably the best example of this (although when I saw it listed in some compilation of greatest Albums of all time I cringed as if us not an album per as).

However, any fan of legend should use i in t as a spring board to his true catalog which is absolutely amazing and the deep cuts are as powerful as the hits.

pepmeister18 t1_j9emk6z wrote

Abba Greatest Hits was actually their breakthrough LP in the UK. It was the biggest selling album of 1976 despite the fact that, Waterloo and the recent late-1975 smash Mamma Mia excepted, most of the tracks were either completely unknown, obscure or forgotten. 1976 UK number one Fernando was added to the 1976 reissue to get even more sold.

In a slightly different way, the Beatles Red and Blue albums were the ‘way in’ to the group for Gen X folk who grew up to form Britpop bands and get ‘1’ for Xmas from their kids, making the album the biggest selling LP of the 2000s. This is the only context in which you can correctly say the sentence ‘Good job, Allen Klein.’

I_Am_No_One_123 t1_j9h0iwr wrote

Simon & Garfunkel: Greatest Hits

Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks 1964-1971

xxxjcrisis t1_j9eaozp wrote

Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy by The Who. It was a collection of their early hit singles from really bad albums.

Rockntheworld t1_j9hcje5 wrote

They weren’t “really bad” albums. They just weren’t as fine tuned, and focused as Tommy, or Who’s Next.

agentOfShed t1_j9hoyir wrote

Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd would be a great contender cause they produced it in a way that each track fades into the next so it’s got that concept album feel that they were known for in the 1970s

Hutch_travis t1_j9eohes wrote

My understanding is that factory records, home of New Order and Joy division, would release singles that wouldn’t appear on albums. That is why the compilations “substance” were released. Each band has a “substance” album worth checking out.

Jimmy buffet’s “songs you know by heart” fits what you’re looking for as well.

sasquatchbrokers t1_j9f7gd2 wrote

Willie Nelson- Greatest Hits (and Some That Will Be ).

MinerLaurence t1_j9hrl97 wrote

Willie and Family Live is one of my desert island albums. Love that man

Codykville t1_j9i0q2h wrote

Not a compilation and I’m sure you know this but Red Headed Stranger tells the story of a man who kills his wife’s lover and has to flee if listened to in order.

MinerLaurence t1_j9i9npq wrote

Know the story well.

Don't forget, he shot the wife too, "so quick they had no time to warn her, and she never heard anyone say, Don't cross him, don't boss him ..."

I know live albums are not the criteria for this thread, but I just like to pay props to all things Willie. Happy 90, frikin legend.

Willie, Dylan and Prine are magical, prolific writers to me. Saw Dylan and Willie together at a ball park near Southbend IN, 2009. Had my wife and kids with me. 4th of July. So proud to be pretty well versed in their works.

Slight_Purpose_9092 t1_j9fbg1g wrote

I feel like the Beatles 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 fits this well, for a couple of reasons. First, the Beatles grew in such a cohesive way, and the albums have such a clear divide on these two albums. You hear something happening at the end of the first one, but you put on the second and hear Strawberry Fields Forever and it's like a different band. Second, both albums have several important non-album singles. So there's a little added that you don't get just by listing to their albums.

cameltoe64 t1_j9ea74q wrote

Example?

my_one_and_lonely OP t1_j9eag5m wrote

I get a lot out of Legend, the Bob Marley compilation album. I think that’s a good example of what I’m talking about.

Prestigious_Fan_1061 t1_j9ewyht wrote

Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael - George Michael 1998

mcarterphoto t1_j9goo2f wrote

The English Beat's "What is Beat?". I didn't even know it was a greatest hits album, but it really works as an "album". Fantastic start to finish.

Angelexodus t1_j9fpip6 wrote

Queen -Greatest hits

Eminem - Curtain call

Peter_Easter t1_j9g935n wrote

The major label debut by Mushroomhead "XX" is a compilation that plays like an album.

Rockntheworld t1_j9hblxp wrote

For The Record-The Bee Gees! Very comprehensive and complete. It even sheds new light on them as songwriters for other artists.

civonakle t1_j9hhvcx wrote

Queen greatest hits I and II.

jackalope42069 t1_j9hsivl wrote

International Superhits from Greenday. Masterpiece.

Jam-18 t1_j9hu87w wrote

I know it’s a live album but…… Alive! by KISS is a great gateway to their first 3 albums. It was also their breakthrough record. 5/5 stars

stealy91 t1_j9iatl5 wrote

John mellencamp - the best that I could do, AND the B52’s - Time Capsul. Both awesome albums!!

TalboGold t1_j9ii01z wrote

The Cure - Mixed Up. Some remixes I like better than originals

take5b t1_j9ii8kd wrote

Sly & the Family Stone’s Greatest Hits

Singles Going Steady by the Buzzcocks

Both of these bands are legends and absolutely deserve to be, but their albums are full of filler. These compilations are perfect and every track is a banger.

Sure the album after Sly’s greatest hits “There’s a Riot Going On” is a critical darling but I personally don’t care for it as it marks the beginning of the band’s down turn. But if you like that record, the Greatest Hits still encompasses everything most folks need up to that point, so it is valuable to every kind of music fan.

Singles Going Steady was always amazing and the expanded tracklist on CD is a worthy addition to anyone’s collection

Tea_and_the_cat t1_j9ikxyp wrote

Depeche Mode - Catching Up With DM

Joy Division - Substance