Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jocko677 t1_ix3wljy wrote

Stop crying over the song use.

−85

GumpsDrillSargeant t1_ix44ujh wrote

Right? Why can’t some politicians just steal an artist’s work and use it for their own purposes? Kari Lake deserves to take whatever she wants, consequence free.

Excellent point!

smashin_blumpkin t1_ix4jsaa wrote

It's not stealing. It's playing a song

−29

Cthulhu_illithid t1_ix4ojr8 wrote

Playing a song in a private setting, and using a song in an advertisement are 2 very different things legally, this is literally copyright infringement.

Rocket_Lag t1_ix4vrmz wrote

This is obviously assuming that the venue in which the song was played didn't have a license to play the song.

If they did, then the Petty estate has no case.

−8

smashin_blumpkin t1_ix4plue wrote

It's not stealing. Playing a song isn't taking that song from anyone else

−23

KillerQuinn t1_ix4qzs3 wrote

Steal: To take another person's property without permission or legal right.

So yes it is stealing

DubiousDude28 t1_ix5ikaw wrote

Thank you for breaking it down simply, there's republicans present

smashin_blumpkin t1_ix4veyb wrote

They didn't take the song. Playing a song doesn't prevent anyone else from playing that song.

−10

Cthulhu_illithid t1_ix4tifr wrote

Did I use the word stealing? I said copyright infringement look it up there are laws about this shit.

smashin_blumpkin t1_ix4vbmj wrote

The first person I replied to did. That's the point I was making. I didn't say anything about copyright infringement, so why bring it up if not to try and counter what I said?

−4

GumpsDrillSargeant t1_ix51cn4 wrote

You’re the kind of person who, if I own a parking garage and you find a way to park there without paying for it, feels like it’s a victimless crime that you deserve. “I’m not stealing, I’m just not paying for this!”

smashin_blumpkin t1_ix5jcmx wrote

No, that's different because in your scenario, I'd be taking a spot from a paying customer. Playing a song doesn't stop anyone else from playing that same song

−1

Ongargis t1_ix47za3 wrote

Stop crying about not winning an election and saying it was stolen.

liquid_at t1_ix47au0 wrote

Where do you work? I come by to get some free stuff if that's normal there.

jcb1982 t1_ix4lxhy wrote

I dunno. If I was an artist I really wouldn’t want my music associated with fascist-lite political candidates and movements.

Daredizzle t1_ix4c75x wrote

Literal laws they're breaking around commercial fair use but surrrrrreeeee.

−1