Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hiptones t1_iy5t6gr wrote

The Weird Al Effect scores again!!!! Is it coincidence that his authentic biopic comes out and within months the album featuring Michael Jackson's parody of Eat It hits the top 10???? I think not!

The_Saddest_Boner t1_iy63elx wrote

Still can’t believe MJ did a parody of Weird Al’s classic “Eat It” without even asking permission

buster_rhino t1_iy6bymi wrote

There’s also Eddie Van Halen’s sloppy impression of Rick Derringer’s legendary solo…

hiptones t1_iy78284 wrote

Some will say it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

nachomancandycabbage t1_iy7rnd6 wrote

Let’s be honest, weird Al is just as good as MJ. You can’t be that good for that long and not be super talented.

GeorgeBabyFaceNelson t1_iy7dnml wrote

I was about to ask "what show or movie was it recently featured in that caused this?" Lol looking at you Kate Bush and Metallica 😳

amadeus2490 t1_iy8xpkg wrote

Michael Jackson personally paid for the music videos to Weird Al's Eat It and Fat. He even let Al use his photographer, camera guy and make-up and hair team. The deal was that Michael wanted to be officially credited as a co-writer for the parodies, so they would be splitting the royalties.

Al has admitted that he had to hire lawyers just to handle those two songs, and that Michael's estate is still receiving annual royalties from them today.

hiptones t1_iy99au1 wrote

I know it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My comment was a reference to Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. In the movie, the joke was that Al wanted to ditch his parodies in favor of writing original music and that "Eat It" was an original song that MJ parodied with "Beat It". It's a great joke because everyone who's familiar with Al is in on the joke.

amadeus2490 t1_iyadb6l wrote

Haven't seen the movie yet. All apologies.

hiptones t1_iyapa1l wrote

No sweat. That's why I wasn't jumping down your throat. On Reddit there are tons of people who believe stuff that on its face is completely untrue. I could have been one of hose people. It's a fun movie btw. Free viewing on Roku. Just need to sit through some ads.