Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pervypersuasion t1_j2cg61l wrote

Mike just doesn’t do those types of songs. Probably the closest you’ll find is the Faith No More cover of Easy.

thisizusername t1_j2ch3ho wrote

Fair enough, I guess I’m looking for reasons beyond lowest and highest note achievable for why he always shows up in conversations like this. I never really liked Faith No More, I’m not going to go scouring through their albums to find what I’m missing, so I typically ask for suggestions in cases like this from fans. In the case, maybe I asked the wrong question.

Pervypersuasion t1_j2ckq72 wrote

Yea they are just in two different sections of the music spectrum. I also wonder sometimes if it’s the song that’s moving or the person singing it, and Mike singing Easy is a good example of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/vPzDTfIb0DU

thisizusername t1_j2clwqc wrote

I don’t know, trying to out-soul Lionel Ritchie is a losing man’s game.

Thanks for sending, but I’m not feeling it personally. It sounds to me like Counting Crows cover of Big Yellow Taxi. Worse than the original in every way.

However, as you said, that’s not really his thing, so is there maybe a hidden Faith No More gem that I should listen to?

hjablowme919 t1_j2dffqc wrote

Lionel Ritchie cannot sing for shit on a live stage. His performance at his Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame induction a few months ago was embarrassing. While watching it my wife turned to me and said “he no longer has the right to criticize any singer on American Idol”. I agree.

thisizusername t1_j2epqz6 wrote

I haven’t seen it, but I’ll take your word for it. In any event, using a single vocal performance from someone who has eclipsed the age of 70 doesn’t seem like evidence like they weren’t good or excellent. I’m not saying Ritchie is the greatest in any event, but this cover of his work lacked the soul that makes the original so good, to me at least.