Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

salamanizer_er t1_j0qn8sb wrote

Radiohead - The Bends

agree_2_disagree OP t1_j0sz9it wrote

Not sure I’d recommend The Bends as their gateway album. I’d probably recommend In Rainbows.

salamanizer_er t1_j0tyg0n wrote

You would say their their seventh studio album was their gateway album? To each their own I suppose. I am old, after all. I would never have gotten in to them after Pablo Honey, which I thought was terrible. Then I have The Bends a chance and it blew me away.

agree_2_disagree OP t1_j0up96u wrote

I 100% agree with your take.

Maybe I wasn’t clear on my expectations of the post. By gateway I didn’t mean breakthrough but more like “a gateway drug” so how would you get a non-fan of the artist to want to listen to more.

NeroVulpes t1_j0qdiz0 wrote

Marillion - Kayleigh, Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eye, TOOL - Schism

doubleflush t1_j0qdlrd wrote

the white stripes- dead leaves and the dirty ground

sebadc t1_j0qdacp wrote

Barry can't swim

Black pool boulevard

You're welcome 😄

ripple_in_stillwater t1_j0qebhw wrote

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. I had to get the album immediately and then collected the previous ones.

jbphilly t1_j0qg4od wrote

Porcupine Tree - Trains (track) or Lightbulb Sun (album)

Lots of people would say In Absentia as a gateway album as it’s their most popular. I think Lightbulb Sun is a little more accessible as it isn’t as full of heavy riffs and extremely dark lyrics (Russia on Ice excepted). Personally Deadwing is my favorite, but it has some of the same barriers to accessibility that IA does, plus a ten-minute opening track rather than a catchy, right rock song like Blackest Eyes.

Lazarus is also a great choice for a gateway song; that one is generally a crowd pleaser for those not into overly heavy music.

Also, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

onelittleworld t1_j0rtmwb wrote

>Personally Deadwing is my favorite

A man of taste and culture, I see.

Psychological-Hat493 t1_j0qiv1l wrote

Jon Bellion - Blu

I'm not really sure of an exact gateway song, but that was mine.

Most people's is probably All Time Low because that is his most popular (and I don't think it properly portrays the rest of his discography)

Oreo_Savvy t1_j0qttz5 wrote

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum

MNNM15 t1_j0qximf wrote

Elbow - Magnificent, She Says

bobthepong t1_j0rer4k wrote

Death grips - the money store

onelittleworld t1_j0rufi5 wrote

Most people have heard an REM song or two on the radio before... but it's always the wrong ones, IMO. If you want a song to start off right with them, I'd recommend "Fall On Me" from their Life's Rich Pageant album. It's a very accessible pop-rock song, but it's also fairly representative of their sound.

Its_Beelzebozo_Time t1_j0s4c1o wrote

Queen - song, Seven Seas Of Rhye/album, A Day At The Races

Jawbreaker - song, Shield Your Eyes/album, 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

The Kinks - song, Sunny Afternoon/album, The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

AlternativeValue5980 t1_j0sgbh2 wrote

Florence + the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Lord Huron - Vide Noir

The Strokes - The New Abnormal

Young the Giant - Home of the Strange

Kvothetheraven603 t1_j0sq3vt wrote

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (album and song)