Submitted by MinMin_Hope t3_zw6cx9 in Music

For me by far I love classic rock the most but I like twenty one pilots, Cage the Elephant and Dayglow too. I think it's because those artists are very thoughtful with their lyrics, song construction and album, 'mapping'. They tend to be more energetic too which might be why as well. I tend to focus more on those aspects of an artist which is why I enjoy them despite them not being classic rock.

Edit:typo

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

meat_popsicle13 t1_j1t2ona wrote

I’m a metal head, but I also love the Cure, Crowded House, A Tribe Called Quest, and Fiona Apple.

orentsur t1_j1u8zkp wrote

Carpenters. That voice….

critterheist t1_j1t4gc7 wrote

Nofx, Natalie merchant, and five iron frenzy

JaymesGrl t1_j1tjlj2 wrote

As a predominantly metal, rock and punk fan, people act suprised when I like the Russian pop duo tATu. I also like a few Britney and Katy Perry songs like Everytime and Cry About It Later. Oh and because they amuse me, E-Rotic with their cheesy innuendo filled euro dance.

Lil Mariko does the whole schizophrenic kawaii bimbo to aggreesive thing really well.

Little Big should also be more popular then they currently are.

Oh and Hello Kitty by Avril Lavine is a bop and isn't that much of a shock if you compare it to Girlfriend, but is obviously the seemingly opposite of Complicated.

minnesotamiracle t1_j1tqaxi wrote

Residing on the west side I grew up on that gangsta! Nwa, ice t, boogie down productions slapped back in the day cause knowledge reigns supreme over nearly everyone. Too short “I grew up on the funk called p, but these muthafuckas growing up on me.”

Went down and visited my white cousin In LA and he was like listen to this Metallica “ride the lighting” it was cool. Then I got into Motown talking bought the 4 tops”greatest hits” the temptations and Smokey! My wife and I fell in love at a smokey concert in Reno. Flew out to visit the black side of my family in Bridgeport/New haven/nyc listening to a lot of Pete rock and cl smooth “Troy” and nirvana”sliver”. 

Went to alot of parties out in the hills listening to The Stevie Miller band. Turned up with my wife in the club to 50, e-40 “tell me when to go”, and lil Jon! Spent alot of time driving up to snowboard with dire straits”sultans”, the pixies” hey / gone to heaven”, and southern crunk” ugk all damn day getting me hype. 

Finally, and if your still reading this. I’ll get to my point. Currently the most listened to playlist includes “shy away” and “level of concern” by 21 pilots, “then it all goes away” by Dayglow, and “cigarette daydreams“ by cage the elephant! Now that’s in about a 35 song playlist so the similarity is kinda uncanny. Yes I listen to them specifically for all the reasons you do. Also in the current rotation is the war on drugs, my morning jacket, j-cole, foster the people, gorillaz,lil Wayne, sylvan Esso, and spoon. Dcfc, the postal service, the neighborhood, and local natives probably round out the list. 
   I think I’ve listened to all this different music over these many years to drown out the voice in my head before it starts to tell a story with a wild, grim, or improbable outcome. That just causes anxiety. I think we also listen to music to put us in a certain headspace (when we are having fun) and because we know that a relisten to the same playlist will put us back at the party with our friends or flying down the mountain snowboarding even if we are just driving to work in the morning. 

I think we also listen to music so we can fall in love again with our spouses, go dumb on the dance floor, and connect with people across the inter webs who happen to be listening to some of the same  artists. Hope you get some of the same enjoyment, make some new memories, and can reminisce with some of these artists to. Peace!

MinMin_Hope OP t1_j1uscij wrote

I appreciate your thoughtful reply, thank you!!! 🎶🤘

MrBinkie t1_j1uiiqn wrote

All the dead ones

noodlesandalfred t1_j1t395d wrote

I listen to a wide variety of music but not a lot of rap or hip hop. The first time I heard Watsky's "Lovely Thing Suite - Live" I had it on repeat for a looong time.

hoagiemanfive t1_j1t7d4t wrote

Yanni

My playlists easily go from slipknot, korn, rage, dmx to yanni….like turning on and off a switch.

calisjesus t1_j1tb0ue wrote

fetty wap and also bruno mars, theyre my guilty pleasure artists

DEANGELoBAILEY69 t1_j1thb3q wrote

I like everything. A lot of rock, metal, hardcore, pop music rap older and newer country but I swear the one song that’s always stood out to me was Metallic Taste by Show Me the Body. I feel like a different person when I hear that song.

snaggleboot t1_j1tovt4 wrote

I’m primarily a metal head and yet also love the hyper pop stylings of Kero Kero Bonito and future funk like Macross 82-99

UndefinedSuperhero t1_j1tpucf wrote

I really love Of Monsters and Men, not so much wildly out of keeping with my punk/metal/country general taste, but they’re about the only band in the indie-folk world I feel that strongly about - the artists they get bracketed with are all fairly neutral to me.

I’ve also got a couple of Robbie Williams tracks on my regular playlist. That does stand out even in a somewhat eclectic mix…. I feel like the guy missed his calling a bit, has the soul of a rock musician in the packaging of a chart pop star.

NervousMNG34 t1_j1tszme wrote

I’m mostly into alternative rock or hard rock, but I like AJR and Imagine Dragons lol

Dangerous_Dac t1_j1tvjob wrote

Grew up with Linkin Park, Muse, System of a Down and I do love me a bit of Sia.

Fluffy_Little_Fox t1_j1u13bz wrote

Reba McEntire.....

Country Music ~IS NOT~ my usual taste in Music. But Reba is my exception......

futureducator t1_j1u6ubr wrote

I'm more on punk music (Suicidal tendencies,NOFX,Ramones,Rancid etc), so the artists the don't fit my main genre is T.S. and R.O.C.

mintindie t1_j1u70b8 wrote

I’m not and never have been a fan of country/folk stuff but I just listened to the new Big Thief album and I must admit, it’s now one of my favorite albums of the years

cearrach t1_j1uch55 wrote

I'll join the chorus in saying I don't really care for country music much, but I love John Denver, The Chicks and Willie Nelson (his album Stardust, at any rate)

ToxicAdamm t1_j1uwhex wrote

The Hives.

I’m more into thoughtful, lyrically rich folk/indie music, but I love The Hives because they’re just pure energy.

[deleted] t1_j1v1hwr wrote

I listen to David Bowie, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Queen, Black Sabbath, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Ozzy Osbourne, Ringo Starr, Korn, Nirvana, Rammstein, Dio, The Doors, Wings, Blur, and Mick Jagger

Also listen to Barry White, Michael Jackson, Sofia Carson, The Residents, and Yoko Ono

BodhiK187 t1_j1vl56e wrote

Toby Keith. I dislike country.