Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

printers_rock t1_j6h3lrr wrote

I thought about this a lot. I wrote a really long response and deleted it before submitting. Because I kept having a problem with the premise of "sad." Like, what is and is not "sad music"? I mean, I guess we can disqualify most fast tempo music, right? Like, good luck finding a 200bpm sad song ... nobody can cry that fast. Four on the floor is also not something I would associate with holding back tears. So I feel compelled to consider this even further as I listen to a lot of slower / downtempo stuff.

Slower music automatically brings with it a higher likelihood of being "sad" but its not necessarily sad. Like a lot of the ambient stuff I listen to is not so much sad as it is ...something. I don't know what it is. It's evocative. But evocative of what? I definitely feel something. But what am I feeling? Like when I listen to Haelos' Full Circle album. Or Max Million's Afterimages album. What the fuck am I feeling? It's not sad. I'm not crying (usually). Portishead isn't sad. Right? So what is sad music?

And that leads me back around. Do I even listen to sad music? Or do I just listen to slow music that is generally evocative? I definitely have a good set of slow seductive sexy-time music. Oddly I think a lot of that is in the same ballpark as "sad" music. But should I even be in this thread? Now I don't even know what emotions I feel. Thanks a lot.

rusthd OP t1_j6iheub wrote

I like the response. It seems you gave it a lot of thought and there is no right answer.