Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SweetCans928 t1_j6gugnw wrote

Sometimes I want an emotional outlet with something I can connect and relate to, and sad songs give me that. Also, I just like good music. I can enjoy and appreciate, even if my mood isn't reflecting the vibe.

rusthd OP t1_j6gumz3 wrote

I think my answer would be similar to this. Even when I'm not sad I'll listen to a sad song or 2.

wildadragon t1_j6gum54 wrote

Because I'm in a sad mood and need the music to accompany it.

Mad World: Gary Jules

Forget Her: Jeff Buckley

Are 2 of my go to songs.

rusthd OP t1_j6gurj5 wrote

Do you ever wonder why you want to listen to sad music instead of something that would make you happier? Just something I think about sometimes.

mildkinda t1_j6gv57k wrote

Well, for example, when I get into work in the early morning, especially at the weekends, there be rave/drum and bass on one of the channels I listen to.

I like those genres but first thing in the morning, I prefer more chilled/contemplative and even "sad" sounds. Helps me take the edge off the day ahead.

rusthd OP t1_j6gv9ga wrote

For sure. Super intense music is something I avoid when I first wake up.

kittenhandsome t1_j6jxade wrote

DONT FOOOOL YOURSELFFFF IT WAS HEARTACHE FROM THE MOMENT THAT YOU MET HER

Aggressive_Fall3240 t1_j6i5fyb wrote

if you want something sad listen to the song "six degrees of inner turbulence" by dream theater, it lasts 40 minutes and talks about 6 mental disorders. It is the second disc of the album. The entire album lasts 1 hour and a half.

Tobias_flenderz t1_j6guwf5 wrote

Music is for more than just evoking one emotion over and over. It's nice to play something sad sometimes because it scratches another itch.

DragonLordofErie t1_j6gwjob wrote

I have constipated depression and want to let it out.

larzolof t1_j6gymt6 wrote

Its nice to not be alone

mildkinda t1_j6guxcz wrote

All music brings joy to me. Whatever the mood.

driving_andflying t1_j6h167d wrote

Sometimes it helps me express how I feel to me. Like the song relates to my mood.

Two that I listen to:

"Hallelujah," covered by Rufus Wainwright and 1500 back up singers.

"Freak" by Razor Skyline

Snappass23 t1_j6gzmx7 wrote

Because it touches me on such a deep personal level like "I'm not an addict" by I believe she/they are called Special K

example555 t1_j6h3gun wrote

It’s comforting to hear that other people are going through things too.

Rise_03 t1_j6h4nj0 wrote

I feel like my emotions are validated and it feels good to know that there are others who have gone through the same thing, if not worse. So I end up feeling less alone and more powerful than before.

Mystia_best_birb t1_j6h8ldf wrote

Because I wanna cry and listening to sad music helps me achieve it

Original-Patient5824 t1_j6hbmws wrote

I listen to music because it feels good. When I am sad, I listen to sad music because it feels good and comforting, less lonely.

polarforsker t1_j6hjeex wrote

Because happy music is annoying

powkiddyv90dangit t1_j6gwfw3 wrote

because on occasion i secretly give myself a pity party.

now you know my secret which is why i transformed into a powkiddy v90

woodstockzanetti t1_j6h29tr wrote

It’s a comfort to have something that resonates when you’re unhappy

printers_rock t1_j6h3lrr wrote

I thought about this a lot. I wrote a really long response and deleted it before submitting. Because I kept having a problem with the premise of "sad." Like, what is and is not "sad music"? I mean, I guess we can disqualify most fast tempo music, right? Like, good luck finding a 200bpm sad song ... nobody can cry that fast. Four on the floor is also not something I would associate with holding back tears. So I feel compelled to consider this even further as I listen to a lot of slower / downtempo stuff.

Slower music automatically brings with it a higher likelihood of being "sad" but its not necessarily sad. Like a lot of the ambient stuff I listen to is not so much sad as it is ...something. I don't know what it is. It's evocative. But evocative of what? I definitely feel something. But what am I feeling? Like when I listen to Haelos' Full Circle album. Or Max Million's Afterimages album. What the fuck am I feeling? It's not sad. I'm not crying (usually). Portishead isn't sad. Right? So what is sad music?

And that leads me back around. Do I even listen to sad music? Or do I just listen to slow music that is generally evocative? I definitely have a good set of slow seductive sexy-time music. Oddly I think a lot of that is in the same ballpark as "sad" music. But should I even be in this thread? Now I don't even know what emotions I feel. Thanks a lot.

rusthd OP t1_j6iheub wrote

I like the response. It seems you gave it a lot of thought and there is no right answer.

Magnus_Hotshot t1_j6haxqw wrote

Sometimes I can relate to sad lyrics like the song it's a long road by Jerry Goldsmith and out on the streets by twisted Sister and hurt by Johnny Cash and also his sad song has good story but a sad story ballad of ira Hayes and don't take your guns to town

Charming-Twist-7514 t1_j6hho2j wrote

I have stumbled across sad music by surprise before. I typically notice it and move on - in purpose. If someone recommends music to me that feels sad to me, I mentally note it and move on. I rarely seek out sad music. I can watch the news or listen to the news if I want to feel despair.

Personally, I go out of my way to avoid sad music or songs that trigger depression

Dbracc01 t1_j6hkqvq wrote

I'm a fairly happy well adjusted person. I adore sad music. Some of my favorites are Tom Waits and the National. I don't know why but those kinda songs just hit me in the warm fuzzies like no other. Maybe it's just that sadness is the easiest emotion to conjure through song but the sad songs are the ones that make me really feel something. Offhand the only really "happy" music that does the same for me is the Grateful Dead.

GnotrexZzama t1_j6hp5ee wrote

Because then it makes me realize when I’m sad that these troubles I have aren’t just happening to me because of who I am, it’s because I’m just as subject to emotions as everyone else and a voice that reflects my own is very comforting sometimes.

OldSamVimes t1_j6hwtsr wrote

Because sometimes when every little bit of hope is gone, sad songs say so much.

LocalOk2381 t1_j6i19n9 wrote

It just let's me feel my emotions without having to fake anything

[deleted] t1_j6i2hv2 wrote

because I'm a sad person

fugazishirt t1_j6i51tg wrote

Because I have depression and listening to forced happy music makes it worse.

DevinBelow t1_j6i5ldh wrote

It makes the happier songs sound happier...and vice versa. Nice to have balance in life.

Lazy-Lawfulness3472 t1_j6i6zb9 wrote

I love the blues. The sadder the better. It energizes me it awakens my soul. I feel alive, like my feelings matter. In my daily life it's like my feelings, my beliefs don't matter. Finally, I feel alive. It's like a shock or snapping a rubber band on your wrist to bring you back to reality. Is it the truth, my feelings? Or is it what mask I must pull over my emotions whenever I leave the house or talk to some one on phone or online.

Hoebaforboba3 t1_j6i9xlo wrote

Melancholic melodies/ tones have always been a place of comfort

krist30 t1_j6icf7p wrote

Sad and need to cry, can't get the lyrics out of my head, want to think about the person I associate with the song

davidthecoo t1_j6idkb5 wrote

In short: humans are far more deep and complex in their sadness than in their joy. That is why sad, questioning, challenging art is often more revered

bl3ghhh t1_j6if4tr wrote

It makes me feel less alone when I relate to the lyrics and it can help me cry which can be very freeing. And sometimes it doesnt even make me sad and I just happily enjoy the good music

boomers314 t1_j6ig0xb wrote

Cathartic. A good way to drain the negativity that festers at a level that I can’t just “shake off”. It is a part of my cycle at this point….happy, easy going, productive, then professional frustrations mount, stress, anxiety, anger, then depression and finally an outpouring of emotion through music, not just sad music, but songs and artists that I find moving, meaningful in some way. The music is the trigger to release….sometimes it doesn’t happen when I want it to, but when it does, it’s a powerful experience.

animariouss t1_j6imjn3 wrote

I'm sad most of the time and listening to sad music is one of the things that help me to process those feelings

HorrorScreamGal t1_j6iwsxj wrote

Maladaptive dreaming gets in the way. I think of different scenarios in my head to avoid my own reality.

Dormage t1_j6j3p99 wrote

It makes me happy

Tinadog44 t1_j6k1awj wrote

Really sad music (like Barber's "Adagio"), triggers the Superiority Theory of thinking---that you are superior to the person doing the suffering. This also happens with other works of art----at least, after watching "Hamlet," you can say---well, at least my uncle didn't kill my father and marry my mother. So, you feel better. Same thing happens in comedy---at least I am not as geeky as the boys on "The Big Bang Theory." So,, I can laugh at them.

Greedy_Avocado387 t1_j6kfa3w wrote

ALOT.. i like the Minor-Scale (mostest importantes correctus in theese wierdus dayus)

and dystopian thingy about dark, sad themish music