Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nwk_NJ t1_jc6r6t9 wrote

Newark is not seeing gentrification even close to many/most other cities, and I'm not sure it will. That does not stop the political shtick which uses it as a buzz word. We don't have widespread or significant gentrification yet you still have an ordinance requiring (EDIT) 20% affordable housing in new buildings. You'd think the city would encourage more rapid gentrification at least in the downtown area, knowing that vast swaths of the city are so far off from it than such ordinance could be enacted later. Still, with Halo and etc going up, downtown is headed that direction. Ironbound an intriguing hybrid of a cultural center primed for hospitality already, now kind of seeing an influx.

Interesting that this research found Newark mayors to be putting forth pro-gentrification policies, yet despite that Newark still stalling in that regard. I suppose that's a mixed bag of good thing/bad thing. Newark has a complex history with alot of other factors, including the racial politics that won't go away on either end of the racial dynamic, a new political racial divide amongst Latinos who are a rising power, and the unique subdivision and territorialism of New Jersey and its municipalities. I'm interested to see where Newark is in about 20 years...I imagine it will continue to evolve, but I never saw some Brooklyn or Jersey City. I'm not sure it even has the housing stock, let alone the intangible factors for that to happen.

recnilcram t1_jc7nxej wrote

The inclusionary zoning Ordinance is a 20% affordable set aside.

Nwk_NJ t1_jc7oe1d wrote

Idk why I thought 40. I think maybe one building that voluntarily. My bad. 20% isn't nearly the same level. Still considerable though.

recnilcram t1_jc7v64i wrote

Yeah developers can do more as a gesture of good faith, as part of financing / grant schemes, or to off-set variances.