Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dcal1981 t1_j9zzcs6 wrote

Looks like a 1971 Plymouth Duster to me.

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_ja07r8v wrote

She said '72 Duster with the 318 engine.

Whale222 t1_ja0ulrw wrote

Slant 6!

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_ja0z6tu wrote

318 is a V8. They did make a slant 6 version. That slant six engine lasted forever for the times.

Whale222 t1_ja0ze39 wrote

My Mom drove a Duster and my grandfather went on and on about the slant 6. I knew that was a duster immediately. Thx for the details!

SpamFriedMice t1_ja1h6qq wrote

Couldn't kill em, but they couldn't pass the emissions standards of the 80s.

ToddA1966 t1_ja21mnr wrote

Ah, the 318... I had a '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring with that engine.

The B-52s were right. That thing could drive faster than the speed of light...

Blrfl t1_ja4ikrt wrote

Same, but a '73. Mine died when it chucked a connecting rod.

pistcow t1_ja00j2d wrote

I had a 71 demon that looked the same.

dcal1981 t1_ja00vq0 wrote

Oh sure..it could be either one...both very similar..

pistcow t1_ja0ajhp wrote

Weird thing is it would usually have a duster or demon sticker just past the door.

dcal1981 t1_ja0bdcf wrote

I think it depended on the model..some had stripes with Duster near the front..some had the Duster emblem on the front fender and some had the duster sticker on the rear by the tail lights.

IAmLazy2 t1_ja07igr wrote

She has good taste.

mzskunk t1_ja0sbps wrote

I did the same! Bought a gold 1973 Duster (225 slant six) in 1982 with money I saved from working at the grocery store. Man, I loved that car, it had an eight track player and everything! Thanks for the flashback :)

blanca_capa t1_ja1ydae wrote

back then u could buy a car by working at the grocery store??? thats bizarre to think bout

ToddA1966 t1_ja21zw9 wrote

I got my driver's license in 1982. The first three cars I bought I paid less than $1000 each for!

The cheapest cars I ever bought were a 1979 Datsun B210 for $50 (a buddy who couldn't drive a stick or find the keys for it sold it to me), a 1972 VW Super Beetle for $200, and a 1975 AMC Gremlin for $450.

mzskunk t1_ja27yk5 wrote

Well, I was in high school, living at home. My pay was $6.50/hr. to start and maybe $9 when I quit. The car cost $800 so it took a while to save up for it. After a while, I even got some Cragger rims and a cassette player for it ;) My folks weren't too pleased but that car and I went freakin' everywhere. Man, I loved that car!

vapeducator t1_ja1ebtq wrote

One of the coolest features of the Plymouth Duster is the fold down rear seat that gave access to the trunk. When I was a kid, our family went to the drive-in theater and we kids could lie down with blankets and snacks, with our feet in the trunk area. It was like a little cozy fort. We could also sleep in the car on camping trips instead of breaking out the tent. A roof rack could be installed on the top for luggage and camping supplies. The slant 6 was more economical and reliable when the first oil crisis began in October 1973, when there were long queues to get gasoline only for the station to run out before you could get any. The price per gallon went from 35 cents/gallon to 50 cents, but the biggest problem was the availability of fuel due to the OPEC embargo.

b0n2o t1_ja27kna wrote

Yes! I remember sitting in the back with the seat down and sliding to the rear of the trunk whenever the car accelerated!

TheVaxIsPoison t1_ja54lmp wrote

I had a '69 Barracuda fastback that could do the same thing.

Many a night me and a girlfriend would take advantage...

BCGrog t1_ja0psrw wrote

Isn't that Al Bundy's car? Peg? Is that you?

rouxjean t1_ja02sga wrote

Good for her. That's the way it's done.

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_ja03zie wrote

Agree. She has always been super independent. One of the most determined people I know while also being kind and loving.

Justlikecalvin t1_ja1agpl wrote

I agree - thatā€™s impressive. I like to think that a woman like that would go on to live a fulfilling life.

HoratioReddacted t1_ja1nuir wrote

That's the way it was done. Between wages especially young people wages being MUCH higher relative to the cost of living at that time vs now and how much more cars cost now because of not just inflation but mainly vastly improved safety and emissions standards (which drives up cost by a ton) you literally could never do this as a teen or person in their 20s now

even if you make $15 an hour which so many young people still dont even top buy a 10 year old sports car in decent shape is currently half your wages for an entire YEAR assuming you work full time.

merelycheerful t1_ja1pyil wrote

Thank you. It'd not just "that easy". Even as a tail end millennial, I have nothing to show for the four years I went to college, and the 9 years I spent working food and retail for less than 11 dollars per hour. I wish more older folks understood. Especially my parents, whose house I'm living in. Fuck me, I guess

Joshooahh t1_ja2lboq wrote

Couldn't do what exactly? Because as a person in there 20s who has bought there car and owns everything they wear, sit on and use with zero debt, i dont know what gives

HoratioReddacted t1_ja5mo4k wrote

ok you either have an unusually good job for your age, your parents helped you, or both , or you have an old car or you got a great deal on it. not everyone or even most people have that in their 20s.

you cannot buy a remotely new sports car making $15 an hour unless you save half your earnings for a year or more and I dont know how you do that and pay rent, thats just math

Joshooahh t1_ja6or78 wrote

Sounds like you are passing on just your perspective as everyone elses, the amount of rent one pays is determined on country and area.

HoratioReddacted t1_ja75vh9 wrote

Where do you live and what do you do

Joshooahh t1_ja76uvh wrote

Just a box standard Office job for a large company in the United Kingdom. Nothing special pays good

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_ja4kffa wrote

Those 10 year old dusters etc... were plentiful and relatively inexpensive at the time. I don't think it was really considered a "sports car" at the time though with an investment it could be made pretty sweet. Mustangs, Camaros, Cudas, GTOs. Those were the in demand cars at the time.

HoratioReddacted t1_ja5n47b wrote

thats my point, wages aside, cars were just cheap back then. they also were much more dangerous and were gaz guzzling emissions factories as well

dubiousadvocate t1_ja0ddjk wrote

I felt like an emperor god the day I bought my first car with my money. Neither of my kids want a car and my son waited until he was twenty before getting his license. The times, they do change. šŸ¤£

Mehnard t1_ja0zg9k wrote

In college I had a '76 Duster with a Slant 6 and 4 on the floor. That thing couldn't get out of it's own way. Dusters were notorious for sagging rear springs making for the first "Carolina Squat". I put a set of air shocks on mine to bring it up.

rican_havoc t1_ja0zbc6 wrote

Your sister is a rock star.

mcfarmer72 t1_ja2ufjf wrote

The Duster was a good entry level car. The Demon was pretty fast.

The slant six was used in a lot of farm machinery, it was nearly indestructible.

Qu33rCobraGAF t1_ja0pi6o wrote

Women were so much hotter back in the days for some reason šŸ¤”

a20xt6 t1_ja1nhqn wrote

Dodge Dart Sport?... Kinda like a Duster, but with vinyl roof etc.. My brother had one of those.

nastyman1313 t1_ja292q5 wrote

Wow a hot girl with her own car no wonder I always dated older women

Retrofraction t1_ja3c6f6 wrote

Back when cars were affordable :(

[deleted] t1_j9zy0ln wrote

[deleted]

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_j9zyvbd wrote

I thought it was a Duster. I'll ask her.

Physical-East-7881 t1_j9zzdfr wrote

Looks like a Duster - my mom carted us around in a Duster similar looking to that car.

DeadHuron t1_j9zzn03 wrote

I think youā€™re right about being a Duster. Iā€™m amazed she managed to get one other than light blue. I swear we only seemed to have blue ones around us, my friendā€™s car was one of them.

ToddA1966 t1_ja22duq wrote

LOL. My aunt had a 72 Duster. It was that light blue!

Thprop t1_ja0qlw6 wrote

It is not a Maverick. The Maverick and the Duster each had very destinctive lines.

SpamFriedMice t1_ja1hnsl wrote

Second car was a Maverick, beat the piss out of it. Rolled it over on the highway, we flipped it back on its wheels, filled the trans fluid and were on our way. Roof was slighly cockeyed, don't know how it didn't break any glass, but the doors didn't work anymore.

Thprop t1_ja0qak0 wrote

I was never much of a Mopar fan. My older brother and one of my unclea were. The Duster had panache. I must admit that.

sissybutt9 t1_j9zyim1 wrote

I think it's a AMC Hornet.

−1

Thprop t1_ja0rpcu wrote

Any of you Duster enthusiasts, did the Duster/Devil also come in a 4-door package? I was looking at some old Mavericks and was reminded that Ford offered them in 2-door and 4-door models. Now they're using the nameplate on a line of pickups.

dcal1981 t1_ja0vfzl wrote

no it did not

Thprop t1_ja0wzye wrote

Thanks. I didn't think so. I couldn't recall ever having seen one.

dcal1981 t1_ja0xl4y wrote

The Plymouth version of a 4 door was the Valiant..the Dodge Dart did come in a 4 door version though.

Thprop t1_ja0yekc wrote

My grandfather on my father's side had a series of 2-door Dodge Darts. I'd completely forgotten about the Valiant.

TedBundysVlkswagon t1_ja0yv39 wrote

How long did she have that car, what happened to it?

JesusNeckbeard OP t1_ja45b7d wrote

I just asked her. She had it for three years and had to sell it when she shipped out to Spain. She said she sold it to a guy named Darrell and she cried.

TedBundysVlkswagon t1_ja5490c wrote

Thank you so much for asking her, you rock! That is really a great photo, thank you for sharing.

Homerun2460 t1_ja1kf1k wrote

I thought it was a duster Cool car , Iā€™d drive that today

reddit_again_ugh_no t1_ja36yk6 wrote

Americans are so lucky when it comes to cars... In the rest of the world you have to put up with overpriced crappy 1-liter tiny cars.

7042016566 t1_ja3708z wrote

My buddy had a brown one .. called it the dustpan