Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChalkButter t1_ja2v93n wrote

L O N G S T R E T C H

#FRANK

MrBillyLotion t1_ja2vvms wrote

10 long inches, 14 big bites

syzzrp t1_ja3d8do wrote

I take exception to the 0.71 inch per bite ratio. Those aren’t very big bites.

L0st_in_the_Stars t1_ja2vz4x wrote

Kishke, in the Jewish context, is cow intestine stuffed with flour, flavored with beef fat and spices. Slavic and other East European cultures have kishkes that use pig innards. At the time, Brownsville was a Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn. Pitkin Avenue was its main commercial street.

PJJefferson t1_ja2y285 wrote

Homer: Mmmmmm, cow intestine!

WhatDoYouKnow357 t1_ja7upyv wrote

Don’t ask what hot dogs are made of…

PJJefferson t1_ja7uwx0 wrote

I generally operate on a don’t ask/don’t tell policy, when it comes to food made with intestines.

[deleted] t1_ja2t4rs wrote

[deleted]

Garmgarmgarmgarm t1_ja3eii1 wrote

Hes probably jewish and keeps a saturday sabbath

Rifofr t1_ja7xq9n wrote

This place would have been closed on Saturday, but there are workers there.

Lil_LSAT t1_ja82ys7 wrote

Seconded, I think it is Sunday --a Jew

Prestigiousalgea t1_ja35clu wrote

Can we start putting the number of bites on more menus?

ScarnAndMacklinFBI t1_ja3g5xh wrote

Who stole the kishke?

No_Raisin_212 t1_ja30tab wrote

Big Paulie and Tuddy were running the show back them . Cab stand was on pitkin ave

oldgrizzley t1_ja3mt0e wrote

I love kishka, but it’s almost impossible to find with natural casing these days, even in NYC. So many kosher delis have closed in the past few years.

rouxjean t1_ja311q1 wrote

14 bites! Not 13, not 15. 🤣😆😐 Is this a code? 🤔

HairyWeisenheimmer t1_ja36v78 wrote

14 shall be the number thou shalt bite, and the number of the counting shall be 14. 15 shalt thou not count, neither count thou 13, excepting that thou then proceed to 14. 16 is right out.

icenoid t1_ja7uaq3 wrote

It’s the passcode to the space laser

TheEvil_DM t1_ja85u1y wrote

They probably gave the first one to Hirch, and asked him him many bites it took.

I_MARRIED_A_THORAX t1_ja57i1i wrote

I wonder how far this is from abe stark of "hit sign win suit" fame?

TheDiplomancer t1_ja95pgk wrote

Kishke is THE best Ashkenazi Jewish food and I WILL die on this hill. It's been my favorite since I was a child. Yes, I understand the description can be off-putting, as it is generally cow intestine stuffed with a mixture of starches and chicken fat, but if you eat sausages, you know that sometimes, delicious things come from less-than-pretty origins. I highly recommend it.

johnny-cheese t1_ja34ueg wrote

Look at those prices! Damn!

zuniac5 t1_ja3b522 wrote

Except the value of 13 cents in today’s dollars is around $1.50. Not especially exciting for fast food.

nugbert_nevins t1_ja71lx2 wrote

Two large hamburgers for $3 sounds pretty good to me in 2023.

Mtnskydancer t1_ja8oqdy wrote

What’s the Hebrew in the corner? Or Yiddish?

Joe_in_Australia t1_ja8wh83 wrote

It says “kosher”. Same in Hebrew and Yiddish.

Mtnskydancer t1_ja93f2a wrote

Thanks. I had the phone reading the image and it said “Foreign text.”

So useful.

Dantes-Monkey t1_jaagedp wrote

Anyone know which cross street the kishka king was located? I grew up in e ny/brownsville in the 50s and i recognize the signs but not sure if the signs were remnants or if the deli was still standing.

I wish someone would post a pic of the jungle jim coconut milk stand that was right off pitkin pretty close to the loews pitkin theatre. I loved pitkin

picomtg t1_ja2zpkk wrote

Two Large Hamburgers 13 cents. Kill me now and bring me right back when this bs is over…

−3

metalmick t1_ja306fp wrote

The large hamburger is 13 cents. It’s 25 cents for 2. I know it was the old days but even then this must have seemed like a bad deal.

picomtg t1_ja30kyy wrote

I guess I am used to mexican portions :/ but in my home town back in the early 00s large meant plate sized 1kg portion of food