Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Flintoid t1_ixud3w0 wrote

A thread on zappa!

I need to ask someone who knows, how do i approach his discography? He has like a zillion albums on Spotify and he seems to be all over the place on style and genre.

ProfMeowingtonPhd t1_ixude48 wrote

Shut your eyes, hold your breath, and jump. Maybe start with Hot Rats, Apostrophe ('), Sheik Yerbouti, and Joe garage. If you like those, try the live albums.

bigboogers87 t1_ixui5ka wrote

Good advice. I started with Apostrophe. It still took me a while to expand from there, but now consider myself a fan. I'd also recommend Overnight Sensation as a good starting point

gratch46 t1_ixujqwx wrote

Once you get Zappa down, take a deep breath, and put on Trout Mask Replica by Capt Beefheart.

North_South_Side t1_ixuxu5y wrote

Or put on Zappa's "Bongo Fury" and get Beefheart and Zappa together. Those two were friends from high school.

oroborus68 t1_ixx4mey wrote

🎶 and don't eat none of that yellow snow🎶

barriedalenick t1_ixuk1b7 wrote

Well my introduction to Zappa was Joe's Garage. Someone got me very, very stoned in my teens and played the entire album and nothing was ever the same again (musically).

• Joe's Garage
  • You are what you is.
  • Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
  • Over-Nite Sensation

Trouble is ask 20 Zappa fans and you'll get 20 different answers!

Previousman755 t1_ixvfw2x wrote

Totally agree with your recommendations. Another approach could be to find which era and musicians you connect with the most. The Ed Mann vocals and keys are very accessible foe new listeners. The Tommy Mars keyboards are intricate and unpredictable. Adrian Belew’s guitar is out there, Steve Vai’s more rock and experimental. All of the drummers have a different feel. Thunes, Ohearn, Barrow all add different flavors. My take on Zappa is that every version of the band is different. Find a version of the band you connect with then branch out.

uli-knot t1_ixug4x0 wrote

My Introduction was “Thing Fish”. Don’t do that one unless you are very brave

bobobedo t1_ixuymyb wrote

Just jump in, there is no starting point. Try WakaJawaka or Hot Rats.

Newtohonolulu18 t1_ixvnbkl wrote

It depends on your musical tastes upon entering. I grew up listening to punk rock, so actually his work with the Mothers is what got me very interested. We’re Only In It For the Money is a great record that begins introducing Zappa’s eccentricities in a rock-friendly way. From there, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Hot Rats, Chunga’s Revenge. Enjoy the journey!

PaperLioness t1_ixx268n wrote

We're Only in it for the Money is that sweet spot between avant garde and rock/pop, and a good sumnation of Zappa/Mothers up to that point. Other albums from this Mothers era can be challenging to sit all the way through. I'd then jump to the "Roxy" era Mothers (one of the last and most talented lineups). Look for Roxy and Elsewhere and One Size Fits All. I'm still trying to get into The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawalka - some interesting points, but too noodly to me. Latter Zappa is fine, but I just can't with the cringey oversexualization in his lyrics.

shelbycsdn t1_ixwm2lj wrote

I can't say where I would start, i can only say where i did start. It was 1971 i believe, summer before 10th grade. The Mudshark on Zappa's Fillmore East album. I was forever shaped by that song. I laughed at the crazy story and couldn't believe what i was hearing but also utterly transfixed. And i ended up working in music as a lighting designer. Can't say it was that song, but i can't say it wasn't.