Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bicycle-Seat t1_jb0ru6k wrote

They should, covid is over, people are going back to work now.

−40

mcs0301 t1_jb0swd4 wrote

Says the person with no understanding of what remote work is.

Bicycle-Seat t1_jb0tejt wrote

I work remote some, but I’m a supervisor, so I’ve earned the right. Most people need to be in the office to collaborate and be monitored that they are working and not goofing off.

−53

mcs0301 t1_jb101y1 wrote

You sound like a shit supervisor if that's how you view your employees.

Dr_Worm88 t1_jb12sfr wrote

Well if anyone needed an example of poor management we have one here.

Thanks for being the example.

Bicycle-Seat t1_jb15961 wrote

Yes, you got me, I am horrible because I want my people working and not on FB.

−31

Dr_Worm88 t1_jb167na wrote

That’s not it but you are getting so close.

thesonofdarwin t1_jb3c7m5 wrote

Good managers drive success by setting reasonable goals and holding people accountable to those. How they meet those goals shouldn't matter. If someone can do the job in one hour and fuck off on Reddit the other 7, that's your failure as a people manager. You need people visible to you because you don't know how to manage work. So yes, that makes you a shit manager, completely unrelated to remote work. That you had 2-3 years to do a better job managing work and you still can't do it without visibility tells me you can't grow as a manager.

Seems like a good thing your manager isn't micromanaging you because you should be on a PIP.

yeags86 t1_jb1ystl wrote

“I’m higher up so fuck you, I’m working from home but your asses better be in the office.”

If your employees don’t like you, that might have something to do with it. Personally I’d walk into your empty office, toss my badge on your desk, and maybe in two weeks when you next go in you’d realize I quit.

I’m in the private sector and we had to start doing 3 days a week in office for “collaboration”. I have not spoken more than 20 words any day I have been in. My boss sits in her office with her door closed and just IMs people. HR is sabotaging everyone by not allowing IT to provide hardware to work hybrid.

whodoc t1_jb354k9 wrote

If you think being in the office keeps state employees from goofing off instead of working, I have bad news for you.