Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

brashendeavors t1_jb31zqi wrote

This is the closest advice i could find on Google:

>If you don’t have an existing policy, you should get quotes prior to purchasing your car. Even without a specific vehicle identification number (VIN), you can give your personal information to an insurance agent and then officially activate your policy once you know the car’s details. However, if you’re buying the car on the weekend when most insurance offices are closed, you will have to either wait to drive your new car or purchase the policy online while you’re at the dealership.

Most places seem to think you already have a preexisting insurance and are simply adding an additional car, but if I understand you it is more of a chicken-and-egg, which do you get FIRST if you have neither.

I have heard of Carvana but never dealt with them -- are you supposed to travel to another town/city to pick up the vehicle, or do they deliver the vehicle to your area? If there is an option for either, is having them deliver to your driveway very expensive? Because then it could sit there while you do the final insurance details.

XxItsAwigxX OP t1_jb336jd wrote

Haha! I was wondering if I should have used chicken/egg instead! ... I would be picking up the car from the vending machine in Fishtown, so I wonder if the deadline for providing insurance proof would be different if it was delivered. ...Good point about weekend-related timing.