Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WhereDaHinkieFlair t1_jdywyd1 wrote

We should have built more and we should build more Nuclear Power. It's the best solution for meeting electricity demands without worsening climate change.

Allemaengel t1_jdzdxr3 wrote

I entirely agree but we've got to resolve the permanent waste storage or reprocessing strategy once and for all and that first. We keep fucking around on that for political NIMBY reasons.

Far too much waste piling up in temporary storage at the plants that already exist around the country and that's far from ideal.

rdepp t1_jdz90sh wrote

Meanwhile it's still the cleanest form of energy to generate

Allemaengel t1_jdze4z3 wrote

Very true but we gotta figure out the permanent waste storage or reprocessing strategy once and for all. Too much piling up in less-than-ideal on-site temporary storage around the country.

rdepp t1_je15ly0 wrote

Yeah, just like electric car batteries

Allemaengel t1_je1yd77 wrote

I'm not a fan of those either and don't drive anything with one. My co-workers are firefighters and they've told me what fighting a fire with entrapment on involving that kind of battery is like. No thanks.

Reality is we gotta do the heavy lift of figuring out how to manage the nuclear waste once and for all.

I"m fine with nuclear power but we've kicked the can down the road too long on HOW to dispose of the waste it generates.

Pink_Slyvie t1_je1zmbs wrote

From a technological standpoint, we will effectively eliminate all accidents once we let AI drive and ban humans from driving. Properly trained AI will handle virtually any scenario better then a human. We aren't quite there yet, but if we actually put resources into it, it could happen practically overnight.

tuckeram7 t1_jdz7dav wrote

My family was able to afford our first home in Middletown due to this, lowering the value of the houses. So… thanks? Also still not sure if my family has been affected physically but might explain me and my quirks.

Mijbr090490 t1_je0lwt0 wrote

Watch the Netflix documentary if you want to hear a bunch of conspiracy theory boomers rambling.

Gord_Is_Good t1_je11yzt wrote

My wife and I had just moved to PA from VA several weeks earlier. The night prior to the accident, we watched The China Syndrome. Remember the line spoken by a scientist about rendering an area the size of Pennsylvania permanently uninhabitable? We get up the next morning, turn on the news and WHOA!

That evening we called a friend of ours who worked at Babcock & Wilcox in Lynchburg VA, the builder of the TMI reactor, asking if we "were gonna die." His words "if you were going to die, you'd be dead already." Scary times indeed.

Ihaveaboot t1_jdyt017 wrote

I was in middle school less than 20 miles from TMI when it occurred, so too young to really understand what was going on.

I recently watched the Netflix TMI documentary, and my initial reaction was that it seemed slanted towards a anti-nucular viewpoint. But the Wikipedia account of what happened in 1979 seems pretty close to the Netflix version.

LindaKParks t1_je2y4j2 wrote

I was teaching in a school that was told to prepare to shelter people from Harrisburg if they need to evacuate the area. Scary time.

Saltine_Machine t1_jdyoia9 wrote

Oh, there were defaintly casualties, just none that was immediate and all quitely swept under the rug.

−8

[deleted] t1_jdyuqqn wrote

[deleted]

Saltine_Machine t1_je0cq1w wrote

Three Myths of the Three Mile Island Accident http://large.stanford.edu/publications/coal/references/nirs/docs/tmipowerpoint.pdf

Pretty much sums it up without listing each individual source. Either way, look up John Daniel's reports.

Do you really trust a US oversight commission that is stock full of people who worked for nuclear companies. It's no different than our bank oversight committees we have today. Finally, don't you find in the slightest the constant back and forth on reports that constantly discredit the information provided by the company. Just something to think about.

−2

SeptasLate t1_je12not wrote

The NRC's response to Fukushima, despite the power companies wishes, seems to make them decently reliable in my eyes.

Although it is a pretty crazy coincidence that Nuclesr Power Companies and the Nuclear Regulatory Comission both hire experts in Nuclear energy.