Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Juan_Inch_Mon t1_it8oi02 wrote

Right. My coworkers refuse to refer to me as "Your Majesty". If they contimnue to not refer to me in the way I ask because of how I see myself, then I am going to have to elevate the issue to HR.

−20

capitocoto t1_it8vjti wrote

Even if we wanted to pretend that referring to someone by the right pronouns was remotely similar to demanding to be treated as royalty, where in the Bible or Christian theology does it say that is a violation of the faith?

It is my understanding that the crown heads of Europe are almost all, if not all, entirely Christian. King Charles of the United Kingdom, His Majesty, is even the head of the Anglican Church.

curatedaccount t1_it90w0w wrote

> demanding to be treated as royalty,

He didn't say that. You're straw-manning.

He only asked to be referred to as 'Your Majesty' not for anyone to have to serve him peeled grapes on a platter or whatever.

It's a simple change of the way you refer to him, nothing more.

But you TOOK it as a request for something more. Maybe you should be wondering if the people who have a knee-jerk reaction to neopronouns are taking it as a request for something more than just a change in how they're addressed.

−11

capitocoto t1_it934h5 wrote

Your Majesty is a form of address generally reserved for royalty when not being used sarcastically. It is not a pronoun.

Pronouns are nouns we substitute for other nouns: usually one like he, she, it, they, and their declensions. The student in question uses they pronouns. Both Chaucer and Shakespeare used a singular they so if you try the “that’s always plural” you will only further demonstrate the failure of English education in this state.

Your Majesty is a form of formal address, usually reserved for a monarch above the rank of prince.

Congrats! You are transphobic and don’t understand English grammar!

curatedaccount t1_it944rs wrote

> Your Majesty is a form of address generally reserved for royalty when not being used sarcastically.

"Ma'am" is a form of address generally reserved for females.

I thought we were ignoring how words are generally used when asked too if it doesn't hurt anyone? Are we not doing that?

>when not being used sarcastically

Ah, so you are applying a 'genuineness' filter to the requests. And if you decide, based on whatever, that they're not genuine, you can just ignore them?

Can I do that? Can a teacher do that? Or only you can do that?

Who is hurt if you call someone who isn't royalty 'your majesty'?

−12

capitocoto t1_it9d1pp wrote

Wow. Literally all of your comments are racist or anti-queer. Like. All of them.

You don’t have a normal thought in your head. It’s just hatred of non-whites and queers. That’s it.

I have been aware that people like you exist for a long time. My mother is one of you. But damn, it’s always a little terrifying when you encounter a human who has chosen to become the personification of hatred.

curatedaccount t1_it9ee1r wrote

Lol. You could have just said "uncle" it'd have been quicker.

How about engaging in the conversation you're in rather than digging through my profile for old ones?

>My mother is one of you

You will be too... When you're older.

−7

capitocoto t1_it9xp9g wrote

I am a middle aged man.

The “you’ll be conservative and bat shit when you’re older” wasn’t convincing when I was 15.