Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SilverVixen23 t1_iteq6rn wrote

I'm in the Bethlehem area and it's absolutely disgusting to say the least regarding all the beautiful fields and woods that have been destroyed in just the past few years to make room for such ugly structures. Just in the ~3 miles around my house, 9 warehouses, two non-luxury hotels, two housing developments, and a huge CarMax have been built over what used to be fields/farmland/woodlands in the past 10 years (and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head). That's also not even including any other places like restaurants, gas stations, or stores, or the other eye sores being built outside my home radius.

Seems like everywhere I look now there's either concrete warehouses or $600k cookie-cutter houses.

Edit: oh, and did I mention that half of those warehouses aren't even occupied/owned?

Mor_Tearach t1_iteskzl wrote

We saw that! Every time we drove up ( rats, forgot the name of the road, turn left at Waffle House after getting off 78, left going out above town ) there were the old churches, cemeteries, all the pretty stuff we knew with those huge monstrosities still going up- never saw one with a car in the ugly parking lot.

Bethlehem was so incredibly beautiful and it was impressive how well maintained the old Moravian history was preserved- loved the place. It was bad enough seeing 78 lined with those things, seeing Bethlehem itself destroyed was wrenching as hell.