Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hobbykitjr t1_iumkney wrote

Itd be great if they notified people who moved to PA, like when you get your new drivers license...

i had nothing similar in my previous state and was surprised, thought it was a scam when it said i owed a separate tax from what i filed w/ the state.

like when was i supposed to learn about this process?

phasechanges t1_iumu6n2 wrote

Yep...this state has the most incomprehensible set of taxes and corrupt companies set up to do nothing but collect those taxes that I've ever seen. After 20+ years living here I still have not heard a good explanation of why there are local income taxes, occupational privelege tax, earned income tax, etc - it's almost as if it's designed to maximize income to well-connected tax collectors.

hobbykitjr t1_iumvqb8 wrote

and sometimes its like $8.... all that paperwork, admin costs to collect $8, can't be worth it.

mrboozer t1_iuog2dr wrote

Occupational privilege got renamed/branded to Local Service Tax - Police, Fire, and Ambulance

Local income tax and earned income tax are the same thing. This is based on both where you live, and where you do your job.

As far as why we have private companies collecting taxes, I suppose you are correct. The less cynical reason would be private labor is cheaper. It is probably a combination.

dazhuko t1_iumwq8n wrote

This is a great dream to have, but in reality, municipalities are so incompetent some times they dont know someone moved to the area until they are moving out.

Sadly it is up to you, the taxpayer, to pay even when not billed because you are supposed to just KNOW that you owe.... something.

hobbykitjr t1_iun2vzp wrote

i didn't even know it existed! heads up from the State of PA would be nice to check this site

IWantAStorm t1_iuqpby3 wrote

Just get a ticket for rolling through a stop sign. That should cover it.

Penalty $10

Fees? Ambulance, Fire, Safety, Roads. $145

ace115630 t1_iup59bc wrote

I just went through this and said these exact words. Just throw in a damn pamphlet when someone gets a PA drivers license informing them of the ridiculous extra tax return that has to be filed.

This state (and country) makes it about as difficult as possible to pay taxes, especially if you’re not paying someone to take care of it. Then if you don’t calculate things correctly, it takes them years to figure it out and then they want interest and penalties for all that time.

zlana0310 t1_iunf3yy wrote

That happened to my husband when he moved here too, unfortunately he didn't let me know he got that mail or I would have told him he needed to pay it, he also thought it was a scam. Ended up with a decent late fee...

hobbykitjr t1_iunfntp wrote

I never got anything in the mail prior, do you get something annually?

only after it was 'late' did they mail me i had a late fee and fine etc

zlana0310 t1_iung2ph wrote

I think he got the late fee one, not an initial notice, but I'm not sure, I didn't even find out about the entire incident until this year and it happened 3-4? Years ago. But didn't pay that initially because he thought it was a scam so there was an even bigger late fee.