Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vaxinate t1_ivu71ry wrote

Yeah I’m more or less with you. It’s always good to be realistic. It’s still going to be an uphill battle, but I still think the changes I pointed out put a light at the end of the tunnel that was nonexistent or at least tough to see before.

One more point though: the current MMJ program was passed through our GOP run legislature in 2016, so saying things haven’t budged at all under GOP control doesn’t feel totally accurate. It seems like they will move this sort of legislation when the right amount of pressure is applied.

ILikeMyGrassBlue t1_ivu7m1h wrote

I’m just talking about recreational. They’ve had multiple opportunities, even bills from within their own party, and they refuse.

The speaker of the house cried on the floor when the medical bill was passed, so they didn’t even have the whole party’s support then either. And they only passed that because the program is a blatant corporate cash grab. When they do inevitably decide to legalize rec, it’ll also be a corporate cash grab lol. It is inevitable though.

vaxinate t1_ivuantc wrote

Yeah idk. The two don’t exist in their own vacuum. I think the 2016 bill is a pretty good sign that the GOP’s obstinance on rec cannabis won’t hold for too long under pressure, but who tf knows what that means in time units at this point.

We’re basically on the same page just at different points on the optimism/pessimism gradient.