Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UncomfortablyNumb43 t1_iwsds7g wrote

No, Republicans are still in control of the PA Senate. But…with the governorship and one house of Congress, they can put pressure on the Senate.

IamSauerKraut t1_iwsgu74 wrote

PA does not have the "house of Congress." You conflate the two.

−26

KMjolnir t1_iwsoz7n wrote

Congress is used to refer collectively to the House of Representatives and the Senate, which are separately referred to as the "two houses". If they control the House of Reps, that is one house of Congress. It is entirely correct.

​

Literally from a dictionary: "Congress: a national legislative body, especially that of the US. The US Congress, which meets at the Capitol in Washington, D.C., was established by the Constitution of 1787 and is composed of the Senate and the House of Representatives."

IamSauerKraut t1_iwszbl3 wrote

Common use does not refer to a state's house of reps as "Congress." That phrase is almost exclusively used to refer to the federal legislature, in particular to the House of Representatives.

−14

KMjolnir t1_iwt82bc wrote

True, it's usual referred to as the PA Assembly. However "almost exclusively" is not the same as exclusively, so by your own words it is sometimes referred to as that. Ergo, they are correct even if it isn't often called that.

IamSauerKraut t1_iwt9rzr wrote

>True, it's usual referred to as the PA Assembly.

The remainder is presumptive and gratuitous.

−15

KMjolnir t1_iwta5a7 wrote

If you dislike my interpretation of the earlierc arguments, that's fine. If you have issues with the words I refer to, you can take it up with Miriam & Webster on the definition or Reddit user u/IamSauerKraut for simply adding fuel to the fire and being, we'll put this politely, misguided in their understanding.

IamSauerKraut t1_iwtc4s4 wrote

>If you dislike my interpretation of the earlierc arguments, that's fine.

You start out well but then go off the rails with verbosity. sad.

−9

UncomfortablyNumb43 t1_iwsnccj wrote

They have the PA State House and the PA State Senate…

IamSauerKraut t1_iwso8um wrote

>with the governorship and one house of Congress, they can put pressure on the Senate.

Your words.

−8

ButterscotchFrosty85 t1_iwsrful wrote

You've done nothing but be super negative through this thread. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

IamSauerKraut t1_iwszqgl wrote

I tend towards the factual. I've had enough of "alternative facts."

−1

ButterscotchFrosty85 t1_iwt0zx6 wrote

You should tend towards self awareness

IamSauerKraut t1_iwt9lwg wrote

gratuitous commentary appears to be your strong point.

ButterscotchFrosty85 t1_iwu6htw wrote

And being a prick is yours

Edit: Thanks for reporting me as a self harm risk. You really are pathetic.

UncomfortablyNumb43 t1_iwxcr69 wrote

You do realize that an ASSEMBLY and a CONGRESS are synonymous, right? You are simply being a fucking douchebag pretending that there is a difference.

IamSauerKraut t1_iwxe07l wrote

oooooo... now you've hurt my feelings.

g'day

UncomfortablyNumb43 t1_iwtya3x wrote

Actually, you tend towards the pompous by playing dumb semantics games…but you do you.

huzernayme t1_iwsow7o wrote

It would be a correct usage if it wasn't capitalized. A congress is any gathering of reps from anywhere.