Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bird_Brain4101112 t1_ixs7vz5 wrote

Look up your nearest title and tag place and off you go.

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixseggf wrote

So no PennDOT needed? I can just pop in and get it done?

TheBrianiac t1_ixsfidt wrote

The "DMV" in this state is semi-privatized. PennDOT does not accept applications or provide customer service for title transfers. This is all handled by private companies serving as Authorized Agents-Messengers.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsiyxg wrote

lol lies…. I work at penndot, and roughly 50% of my job is title transfers for people who just moved here from out of state or just purchased from out of state…

Even when you go to an authorized agent to do your application, a large majority of the time it gets mailed to us in Harrisburg for processing, unless they are an online agent and can do it right there.

You can also walk into the Harrisburg location and get title transfers done at the counter.

It’s just that the only “PennDOT” location for motor vehicle is Harrisburg, the rest of the PennDOTs don’t do title transfers because they are drivers licensing centers.

Flimsy-Lie-1471 t1_ixsizsf wrote

That’s not true. There are locations that handle it. Maybe not one near you, but you can go to PennDOT.

TheBrianiac t1_ixskg2n wrote

Okay, the PennDOT Driver License Centers won't do it, but PennDOT headquarters in Harrisburg will.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsmy64 wrote

LMAO. Downvote my comment then repeat what I said to a T? 🥴🥴🥴

−3

TheBrianiac t1_ixsnhr3 wrote

I did not downvote your comment, I actually upvoted it because I didn't know it could be done in Harrisburg.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsnrdb wrote

Oh well Reddit is weird and the votes fluctuate I guess.

But yeah the website for penndot needs dumbed down. I say it everyday. It’s all over the place and too hard for most of the general public to understand or find things.

Even as an employee when I need a form that I don’t have saved already, 99% of the time I just google the form name and PA. So much easier than navigating that terrible website.

TheBrianiac t1_ixspv57 wrote

Yeah, as a notary myself, I know it's very frustrating.

x8675309 t1_ixsfx69 wrote

Yeah I think they call them “on-line agents” or some weird term on the website. They’ll get you sorted out. They may need some sort of fax of the title from the bank, but they’ll handle that.

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixsgmx2 wrote

Cool thanks. I'll make some calls tomorrow.

x8675309 t1_ixsgwwe wrote

Yeah and don’t feel bad. It’s impossible to learn anything from that website. Just went through all of it and it was maddening.

TheUltimateSalesman t1_ixssz6m wrote

I suggest AAA. It's like $25/year and free towing/gas/charge. They'll do the tag transfer and whatever else paperwork at basically cost.

Yen-sama t1_ixskda8 wrote

Yes, as long as the new car is insured in PA, the title & tag shop will take care of everything.

Also note; you won't be switching the old plate to the new car. You'll turn the old plate in and receive a new plate.

pa_bourbon t1_ixsu9gr wrote

Not true. You can transfer the old plate to the new car. There are certain ranges of plates that are being retired due to the peeling issue and Harrisburg won’t approves a transfer for those ranges. But if the old plate is not in those ranges, it can be transferred. It’s cheaper to transfer than get a brand new plate.

BrainWav t1_ixszt3a wrote

I wish they'd just reissue a new plate. My mother just transferred hers to a new car, it's a 25-ish year old plate, from when they just swapped away from gold on blue. We asked about getting a new plate, and the tag place said we couldn't without de-registering it, and then getting a new one (which isn't guaranteed) as it's a vanity plate.

JAK3CAL t1_ixsp02h wrote

Go to a satellite third party penn dot type deal like Jack mags on 51. It’s faster and easy, I’ve done this before so just roll over

postsgiven t1_ixubbz2 wrote

Go to tri county tag or AAA they'll do it in those places.

Chungushamster123 t1_ixxepaa wrote

I just went to a notary and they did all the leg work for me. It wasn't extremely cheap. About $200 but it was worth not having to deal with the hassle.