Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TradDadOf3 t1_j1ml3yn wrote

This makes absolutely no sense. You think they make more profit by selling less electricity?

JoshS1 t1_j1mt7fu wrote

My point is that prices are higher, and yes, at times it's cheaper to keep supply down to increase the price. While PA is better regulated, the beat case study for this is Texas and their absolute runaway energy pricing during high demand. That system provides an incentive to have just enough for 90% of the time, then 10% of the time cashing in on high demand pricing and cutting service to some areas.

It's much more complicated than the way you make it seem as if pricing is fixed at the whole sale level (not your's and my pricing). With your train of thought I can make energy widgets and I can sell them for $10, if I make 100 I earn $1,000 so why should I not make as many as possible? Well, the reason is because if I make 100 I make $1,000 but if i make 50 and demand is high I could make $5,000. So half the labor and supplies costs and x5 revenue. That's how you maximize profit.

Edit: TL;DR energy is a commodity

kellyb1985 t1_j1o3nvr wrote

TBH... I would think there's less emphasis on dealing with extreme surges or outliers with private companies. You'd be paying for a lot of capacity and infrastructure you only need once every few years.