Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Yinzerman1992 t1_iztqg8n wrote

This is a great photo. Thanks for sharing.

MAYNARDPIRATE23 t1_iztv4h1 wrote

This is sooo PA...And a gorgeous shot. Love it!

Marcy595 t1_izueh0t wrote

I wanna see more of these. I love seeing old photos of daily life in small towns

SWPenn t1_izufy0v wrote

Great photo. Almost everybody walked or took a trolley or bus to work in the mill back then. The Aliquippa works of Jones & Laughlin Steel stretched for 7 miles along the Ohio River 25 miles from Pittsburgh and employed 15,000 people at its peak. The town of Aliquippa was built by the steel company and each ethnic group had its own neighborhood.

Altruistic-Rip4364 t1_izuafje wrote

I think this is into west aliquippa, yes? It’s literally the only way in or out of that neighborhood.

Altruistic-Rip4364 t1_izuar2t wrote

Maybe I’m wrong and this is the old now defunct footbridge into that neighborhood. I apologize if that’s the case. Jones and Laughlin steel was the predominant employer in the area

navar1701 t1_izud3ao wrote

You’re correct, it’s the old foot bridge from 51, over the tracks, and into the mill. My grandfather took that bridge to work 35 years. This really brings back memories!

Altruistic-Rip4364 t1_izudtj0 wrote

Amazing. Both of my grandfathers worked there through the 60s and 70s. I grew up in monaca. A stones throw from there. Remembering when 51 was a dangerous, poor draining two lane road!

biffmalibull t1_izwz4d1 wrote

Nice shot of 51. traveled this many years doing field service.

runner_4_runner t1_izurvy9 wrote

I think that this is the "overhead bridge" along present day Constitution Blvd. between the Ambridge Bridge and the town of Aliquippa. This was a common drop off point and bus stop for those working in the South Mills.

MartialBob t1_izv6rz3 wrote

This reminds me of a lot of similar pictures of Pottstown from the same era. It's weird to think of a regular train service.

ch061 t1_izvbgay wrote

This has a very specific feeling to it that I love, also, it gives off massive wPA/Pittsburgh area vibes

Pappyjang t1_izx35gp wrote

Finally some aliquippa love hehe. I gotta find my granddaddys old books and post some for yall

funkmydunkyouslunk t1_izx7v85 wrote

Drove through Aliquippa not too long ago. It's sad to see the area struggling after the big companies left the area, but this photo is a nice peak into what was, thanks for sharing.

DharmaLvr t1_j0csdev wrote

I’d love to share this with the mayor. Are you the original photographer?