Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

proballynotaduck t1_j2uqo3j wrote

Everyone I know from bucks county and Philly still say youse, I do as well although I'm living near Pittsburgh now.

[deleted] OP t1_j2uqui4 wrote

[deleted]

proballynotaduck t1_j2urzfk wrote

Its pretty much like y'all. Just addressing more than one person, although sometimes it sounds odd in places y'all would be okay. Like "Hi y'all" fine "Hi youse" not as.much. in place of that I'll just drop the youse or use something else. But I do use it alot still like "how.youse doing" or alot of the times if I want both my kids to do something I'll tell them ,"youse need to do (whatever)" or sometimes "youse two" it feels wierd typing it out because it's not something I ever use in text but it's just to me the plural form of you like cookies is more than one cookie youse is more than two people

artificialavocado t1_j2v2awy wrote

People still say it where I’m from and still keep to the old regional dialect in general but mostly just the older generations. I don’t mind regional dialect type stuff but that one is so nails on a chalkboard. Y’all sounds even weirder to our ear and would stick out.

−1

[deleted] OP t1_j2ur2y9 wrote

[deleted]

proballynotaduck t1_j2us33f wrote

For me just youse. Youse guys feels redundant. Youse already implies there's more than one.

michaelscarn1313 t1_j2v2wm1 wrote

I grew up in Bucks county and lived there for 30 years…I don’t recall ever hearing someone say youse unless I ventured into NE Philly.

MacDynamite71 t1_j2uy4sk wrote

South Philly has entered the comment section

TaterRegulator t1_j2urf11 wrote

I say youse when referring to a group of people. Like -youse guys -

PGHNeil t1_j2winzr wrote

Y'all is like bro country music and shiny pickup trucks. It's totally phony and affected behavior. That being said, I've tried my best to be literate so I don't say "youse" or "you guys" though I'm near Pittsburgh so a "yinz" is bound to slip out.

ashfye29 t1_j2whd12 wrote

It’s definitely used in the Scranton region 🫤 “yous guys” makes me cringe so hard

Excellent-Fox3599 t1_j2xfceq wrote

Youse is alive and well in Luzerne County.

DMgraduates93 t1_j38smg4 wrote

Aboslutely! I moved to Pittsburgh years ago but when I visit my family in NEPA, I explain to them Yinz is just another form of youse.

Princessss88 t1_j2uy0pp wrote

I use youse still… in York. I hear it a lot around here.

shinyredumbros t1_j2uy4zj wrote

My whole family does, northern Lanc and Lebanon county folks.

dunkeebutt t1_j2v4um2 wrote

Hazleton still usin' yous.

frankm191 t1_j2y8znk wrote

Youse need a drink of water?

eviljelloman t1_j2yhaw0 wrote

I say it but have probably never typed it.

jek39 t1_j2z12xl wrote

I always spelled it "yous"

gabdallaz t1_j3007pb wrote

Still very common in both NEPA and Northeast Philly

NativePA t1_j2urpmr wrote

I have a ~30 yo coworker that’s says it all the time. Northern Dauphin Co

cordy_crocs t1_j2uzke4 wrote

My grandmother from Fayette County does

srdnss t1_j2zqt91 wrote

My wife is from Fayette County and used to say yinz or yinz or whatever. After twenty years with me below the Mason Dixon line, she's been converted to "y'all".

cordy_crocs t1_j302pgc wrote

She’s a traitor :(

but I hear people say yinz/youse interchangeably. You’re not so much tho.

jlando40 t1_j2v6koy wrote

Prominent in Berks too

Kairenne t1_j2vv9y1 wrote

It’s Yinz for me.

constantnoodling t1_j2w7gbp wrote

I hear it infrequently, but often enough to not be too alien. I say "yinz" often, that folks do a double take. Being from Pittsburgh originally, yinz took root early on. In college in Philly, I heard you'se a lot.

Living in Central PA now, I don't hear you'se or yinz too often...more y'all.

klairby t1_j2wc6yp wrote

My family says “you’uns”

Rahawk02 t1_j2we3ei wrote

When I visit my family in the country they say You’uns

worstatit t1_j2wjaqi wrote

Still in use amongst all ages, though waning. It was never written much, if at all, but part of speech.

--Cr1imsoN-- t1_j2wsm81 wrote

Lived in PA for well over 20 years and I've honestly never used the term "youse" or even heard it before, but honestly I might not have been paying attention to it. Kind of like how when you live somewhere for so long, you just don't notice stuff like that anymore.

IMustveBrokeAMirror t1_j2x8m6v wrote

I refuse to believe anyone says yinz. Schuylkill County. Definitely use youse guys

susinpgh t1_j2xcxjz wrote

OG yinzers do. Any other time you hear it, it's said ironically.

srdnss t1_j2zr208 wrote

You have to go west young man. My parents and grandparents were from Johnstown and my wife from Connellsville. Yinz is real, my friend.

coasterkyle18 t1_j2xh0zr wrote

I live in and grew up in Lancaster county. My grandparents, aunts and uncles, and my dad use it regularly. The younger generation of my family doesn't really use it often. We all have PA Dutch roots, from the Cocalico area.

30686 t1_j2xiq9e wrote

Yinz is proper English.

talianicolewingate t1_j2y0jsu wrote

youse is alive and well in certain parts of philly/burbs. not youse guys… more like “what did youse end up doing last night”

it’s also very familial. I live in chester county currently but my family is from north philly so I still have a habit of saying it even though it’s not as common out here.

odabeejones t1_j2yqzr7 wrote

Heeey Yoouuuusee Guuuys!!!! ~if sloth was born in south Philly

[deleted] OP t1_j2yv7fg wrote

No one uses youse or yinzs in my part of the state.

toadfan64 t1_j2zdugi wrote

Being in a smaller town, young and old folks still use it plenty here.

Gothsicle t1_j2v2zzs wrote

in my family it was yinz.

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j2v6o9m wrote

That's a Pittsburgh area word. (Where my extended family is from as well.)

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j2wxm92 wrote

Whoever downvoted this: is there another area where they say yinz? I'm not mad, merely curious. I was under the impression that SW PA was the only area they used yinz.

LowNo5584 t1_j2wt2sk wrote

Sounds like Pittsburgh verbiage. Not being mean, matter of fact is all. Like "wurter" in Philly for water.

jek39 t1_j2z17p5 wrote

it's very much a philly area thing. pittsburgh is more "yinz"

pda4242 t1_j2uueyq wrote

Nope. Always Yall 😆

−5