Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

possesseddino t1_j6hridj wrote

I hate voting on just one issue. I don't like it when they do it, I don't want to do it. But yes I think abortion should be safe, legal, and create the conditions for it to be rare.

Jotakave t1_j6hxppm wrote

The thing is that people who are pro-life are also usually in a political spectrum that reduces rights for others based on religious principles. They don’t want gay people to marry or adopt. They’d rather hold on to legislation that was written centuries ago regarding guns than do anything to protect everyone from this mass shooting madness we’re in. They seek to censure an erase lives that are unlike their principles. So most of the time is not a single issue you’re voting against it’s a cornucopia of bigotry.

Lance_lake t1_j6htt4v wrote

>I think abortion should be safe, legal, and create the conditions for it to be rare.

I am pro life and I know many pro life people would be ok with this as long as the rare part was there.

Dropping abortions to around . 001% of what they are now would be great. (Presuming you mean it is allowed for rape, incest or mothers life at risk).

−34

thenurgler t1_j6hwzdq wrote

No, they mean providing easy access to healthcare and preventative measures so women don't need to get an abortion, not make it illegal and pretend you've solved the problem.

scrimshandy t1_j6hxpjv wrote

Pregnancy is inherently a life threatening condition. That is not an exaggeration. Many women - myself included - would choose suicide over pregnancy. I’m fortunate enough to have gotten approved for sterilization, but many women’t don’t have insurance or won’t get approved. Treating birth control and abortion access like healthcare is the way forward

ArcherChase t1_j6hy7a6 wrote

States with the most extreme abortion restrictions have terrible mortality rates for childbirth of the child and mother especially. Look to Texas for birth mortality rate higher than most countries as the huge discrepancy between white and black mothers for this as well. So it's not just anti-woman but it ends up being racist as well.

cashonlyplz t1_j6i0cwm wrote

Access to safe and sound healthcare lowers the rate of abortions. Deny that care, and abortions go up (along with complications therein). Supplementally, good sex education helps decrease teen pregnancies.

The same moral panics bear the same regressive results, and people needlessly suffer as a result. We need to embrace science, not Bibles.

BluCurry8 t1_j6hyzjq wrote

Rare is a difficult goal to achieve. 1. We have a rampant rape problem. Agree or not it does exist and women are punished for reporting rape. 2. Birth control does fail. It can be extremely reliable but it is not 100%. The best you can do is make the morning after pill easily accessible and affordable but unfortunately not every will know their form of birth control has failed for 6-8 weeks at the earliest. Not everyone has reliable menstrual cycles. It seems like it should be an easy to avoid pregnancy but the only way to do that is abstinence. Abstinence is just not a realistic solution because even married people can have an unwanted pregnancy. At the end of the day this is a private decision that has many factors including health, finances, support structures and no one especially a government should be forcing women to give birth. If our society truly wanted to be pro life we should start with the society children live in today. Gun violence kills 22 children every day in the USA. We have weak support structures for women when it comes to health care accessibility and child care. Finally we have an education system that is under attack. I think you need to understand people of child bearing age are looking at their future and it really is not a good time to have children.