Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mijbr090490 t1_j47ifd5 wrote

I hunted for 15 years. If I couldn't tell for certain what I was aiming at or what was beyond the target, I wasn't shooting. Whether the person or pet was wearing orange at all didn't matter. If you can't tell the two apart, then it's time to give up hunting. The woods are full of a bunch of trigger happy rednecks anymore, especially around rifle season. Part of the reason I gave it up. I love the outdoors, but I try to stay out of the woods during rifle season.

msginbtween t1_j488kel wrote

One of the reasons I picked up archery hunting. Being on state game lands during rifle season is an absolute shit show. But with some of these high powered crossbows archery season is starting starting to head in the same direction.

artificialavocado t1_j48qrkh wrote

This. I’m not a gun guy but did grow up around them and went hunting when I was a kid. Things like knowing the target, not aiming a gun at anything you don’t intend to kill, treating every firearm as if it was loaded, etc. are some of the rules I thought were universal. Guess not anymore. State and federal are too afraid to even talk about the safety rules anymore because they know right wingers will cry “mah freedums.”

Phantom_spook t1_j4avwxt wrote

What gun safety rule did he break? He knew his target a “coyote” he wanted to shoot the “coyote” he broke no safety rules. Just because he didn’t see a collar or harness on the dog that wasn’t on a leash or near the owner doesn’t mean he did anything illegal or unsafe. Sad outcome for everyone involved.

−1

jralll234 t1_j4axb5i wrote

He failed to correctly identify his target, apparently. Or he meant to kill a dog that was “scaring deer.”

Mijbr090490 t1_j4azkcs wrote

That's the thing. Did he just see a puff of grey fur and pull the trigger? He didnt properly identify his target.

artificialavocado t1_j4ba5jy wrote

Look I’m not saying let’s tar and feather the guy but I think there should be a fine or something. I think the seasons run concurrently now but in the past guys were fined all the time for shooting doe they thought was a buck and vice versa. I swear the entitlement of some gun owners is infuriating. They want all the rights and privileges but none of the responsibility.