Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

awuweiday t1_j46z3te wrote

"Lau had recommendations for both hunters and dog owners. Dogs and their owners should wear fluorescent orange in areas where hunters are present, Lau said."

I mean... Sure.

How about hunters have the patience and control to fully assess their target and positively identify it before shooting it? It's really not a huge ask.

Seriously. The fuck? What are you? Cops?

Hanniballecter6 t1_j479ub4 wrote

Just been confirmed the hunter was an ATF agent and shot it out of habit

zorionek0 t1_j47hejt wrote

The CIA, FBI, and LAPD have a contest to see who’s the best. The president releases a rabbit into the woods and asks them each to catch it.

The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist.

The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and they make no apologies. The rabbit had it coming.

The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is screaming: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!"

Mijbr090490 t1_j47ifd5 wrote

I hunted for 15 years. If I couldn't tell for certain what I was aiming at or what was beyond the target, I wasn't shooting. Whether the person or pet was wearing orange at all didn't matter. If you can't tell the two apart, then it's time to give up hunting. The woods are full of a bunch of trigger happy rednecks anymore, especially around rifle season. Part of the reason I gave it up. I love the outdoors, but I try to stay out of the woods during rifle season.

msginbtween t1_j488kel wrote

One of the reasons I picked up archery hunting. Being on state game lands during rifle season is an absolute shit show. But with some of these high powered crossbows archery season is starting starting to head in the same direction.

artificialavocado t1_j48qrkh wrote

This. I’m not a gun guy but did grow up around them and went hunting when I was a kid. Things like knowing the target, not aiming a gun at anything you don’t intend to kill, treating every firearm as if it was loaded, etc. are some of the rules I thought were universal. Guess not anymore. State and federal are too afraid to even talk about the safety rules anymore because they know right wingers will cry “mah freedums.”

Phantom_spook t1_j4avwxt wrote

What gun safety rule did he break? He knew his target a “coyote” he wanted to shoot the “coyote” he broke no safety rules. Just because he didn’t see a collar or harness on the dog that wasn’t on a leash or near the owner doesn’t mean he did anything illegal or unsafe. Sad outcome for everyone involved.

−1

jralll234 t1_j4axb5i wrote

He failed to correctly identify his target, apparently. Or he meant to kill a dog that was “scaring deer.”

Mijbr090490 t1_j4azkcs wrote

That's the thing. Did he just see a puff of grey fur and pull the trigger? He didnt properly identify his target.

artificialavocado t1_j4ba5jy wrote

Look I’m not saying let’s tar and feather the guy but I think there should be a fine or something. I think the seasons run concurrently now but in the past guys were fined all the time for shooting doe they thought was a buck and vice versa. I swear the entitlement of some gun owners is infuriating. They want all the rights and privileges but none of the responsibility.

Fonzee327 t1_j47h8ja wrote

The article states that the dog was wearing a brightly colored harness, and was easily 2x the size of local the coyote breeds that the hunter mistakenly identified the dog as. An ATF agent can’t distinguish between a large domestic dog and a coyote? Coyotes are so disheveled looking and have such a distinct way of skulking around, it’s hard to see how this happened.

The hunters did stick around and help once the dog was shot at least. I hope both sides learned something from this. I’d be absolutely devastated if my dog got shot in front of me, I can’t imagine.

artificialavocado t1_j48r2o1 wrote

If it wasn’t for the fact the shooter ran to help my guess would have been they knew it was a dog and shot it to make a point about scaring deer away.

12darrenk t1_j48y1ek wrote

Hunters need to be able to positively identify their target before shooting, he added. “It’s a fundamental rule of hunting,” Lau said.

If you're going to quote someone, don't try to cut it up to make it say something that they didn't. The Game Commission is in no way saying that this is good thing. But the incident didn't violate any game laws. So there isn't anything for the Game Commission to do. He was asked what can be done to prevent this like this in the future. And he answered that for the general public and for hunters. There were a lot of mistakes made by multiple people that everyone can learn from.

[deleted] t1_j48zumm wrote

I’m pretty sure the author of the article leans anti hunting. Even though he writes frequently about it, he seems less than knowledgeable about the subject and I believe he has misquoted people before who were members of this sub. You’ll find him here on occasion mooching for information.

−1

Murphyboiii t1_j4b150r wrote

That dog looked like a yote. Especially if he was elevated in a tree and the dog would have looked smaller. Why would any same person have a dog that looks like a coyote not have fluorescent orange or and being walked off the leash when people are still muzzleloader/flintlock hunting? Any hunter will shoot a coyote they are menaces

−1