Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IamSauerKraut t1_j4lr9ge wrote

I read it as OP wants to see if his vote was counted exactly as he cast it. Seems reasonable but is the false foundation of all these election lawsuits.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j4lrst1 wrote

I don’t see why we don’t vote using social sec numbers. But if that is what OP is suggesting, that he believes his vote is being miscounted by not showing who he voted for through the records then OP has already lost faith in the Democratic process. Allowing others to see how you vote, not if you vote, opens a pandora box of problems. Least of which is harassment by opposition.

IamSauerKraut t1_j4luuwg wrote

>I don’t see why we don’t vote using social sec numbers

Privacy issues. We could be assigned voter ID numbers when registering but I believe OP is asking for much more than that. If he cannot remember who he voted for, that's his problem.

davcross OP t1_j4mol08 wrote

It's not who I voted for, it's matching the picture of my ballot to how it was counted, while not tieing it to any person for security purposes. It's about proving votes are being counted 1 vote at a time, regardless of the party counting them

IamSauerKraut t1_j4mvybi wrote

>It's not who I voted for, it's matching the picture of my ballot to how it was counte

Same thing, non? "the picture of your ballot" shows exactly who you voted for.

jvhgh t1_j4nk02d wrote

They mean that they voted for candidate A and want to make sure it went through as candidate A and not candidate B.

SunOutrageous6098 t1_j4u1bqo wrote

The party counting them? It’s a machine. It doesn’t have a party affiliation.

The machines are tested before they are used on Election Day and that testing is open to the public. Go watch it for yourself.

Then, after Election Day, the results are audited using two separate auditing methods to ensure the machines were working correctly & that votes are being awarded to candidates correctly.

Literally could not be more transparent. You just have to put in a modicum of effort and talk to the people who work in your county election office. They don’t want to go to jail and most don’t even care who wins.

susinpgh t1_j4w0w58 wrote

The application to register does require ID. They ask for your PA ID number. If you don't have that, they ask for the last 4 digits of tour SS#.

FYI, your SS# is required in order to get a PA ID.

In 2021, the PA GOP wanted to hand over all of the voter registration roles to a third party vendor. One of the greatest objections was that it would expose the SS# of every registered voter in the state.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j4w1r5h wrote

I’m aware of that. I have my voter registration which has a voter id number which is tied to my drivers license number which again is tied to my ss number. That’s 3 degrees of separation and honestly not necessarily needed. In a different comment elsewhere on this thread I addressed that you can in fact see if your vote was counted just not towards who.

susinpgh t1_j4w30ba wrote

My point was that it was already associated with your SS#, and using it for an ID is extremely risky.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j4w3twc wrote

Using SS# as an ID for Government Voting is risky? Only if a third party is involved with personal data. Other countries have implemented electronic voting with security measures greater than paper ballots. The only reason that has not progressed here is because Republicans have an active interest in keeping voter turnout low among the demographics that don’t support conservative views.

susinpgh t1_j4w4bd3 wrote

Yes, I think there's a lot of risk involved in tying your votes to your SS#. Instead, your registration could easily be assigned a voter ID number, which wouldn't be as big an issue.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j4w4w5u wrote

My reasoning for ss as voter id is just that it will be extremely hard to commit fraud against that system. Voter fraud is still a major issue and it does seem to lean heavily into right wingers, who also have a vested interest in suppressing opposing voters. And this same right wing is the one calling for third party companies to monitor votes, same right wing refusing to update an old method of voting for no reason other than “muh tradition.” The only way I can see to effectively counter that is the ss as voter id.

susinpgh t1_j4w5mpl wrote

I don't agree that voter fraud is a major issue. I don't see how using your SS# instead of a unique number makes it any more secure.