Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

maxwellington97 t1_j6nxj3t wrote

From the article is seems the dog is fine. The drugging was so that it wouldn't bite first responders.

The ear protection is so they wouldn't hear the gunshots and change their mind.

And it seems like a really sad case. The daughter seemed to be suffering with mental illness and the mother first and then father convinced themselves they couldn't live without their family and followed suite.

insofarincogneato t1_j6ohlc0 wrote

I... You can't not hear gunshots. It was probably so they wouldn't hear anyone dying as much.

Source: fired a suppressed gun while wearing hearing protection.

ImperialIIClass t1_j6o0z0g wrote

> Detective Timothy Fink told the outlet that Deborah wrote about not wanting her daughter to die alone, and saying she was going to join her when she decided to end her life.

> The patriarch of the family, 62-year-old James Daub, had written a series of letters spanning a couple of days where he convinced himself he couldn’t live without his family, CBS21 reported.

God damn, this whole story is just so dark.

And I hope the dog ends up with a loving family.

TTPMGP t1_j6o5ss7 wrote

One of the saddest stories I’ve read in a long time. Really heartbreaking.

BeatsMeByDre t1_j6oz7s0 wrote

This was preventable. America almost entirely ignores mental illness or acts like it's an act. Being on medications and getting therapy could have prevented this. A community that checks on each other and has time to make time for each other could have prevented this.

--Cr1imsoN-- t1_j6petvb wrote

Yep… as someone who works in the human services field(2 years of which was in the mental health field). Pennsylvania and America in general treats mental illnesses like a joke. Human services in general are underfunded, but compared to developmental disability/autism services it’s even more underfunded than those. Then there is just the fact that so many people struggle with even the most basic of healthcare. Many people being “not sick enough” or making just enough above poverty to not qualify for Medicaid and private insurance not covering even the most barebones of mental health related services… Medicaid for all could do so much to rectify the situation. But that means challenging the stranglehold that private health insurance companies have on this country.

1ndomitablespirit t1_j6p5ub3 wrote

I agree, but then you go to places like Reddit where no one gives a crap about mental illness when guns may be involved. Like, I get the guns part, but the conversation always goes to the guns. And then when pro-gun people bring up mental illness, they're downvoted into oblivion and mocked. It is already difficult enough for people with mental illness to talk about it with others, if they even recognize it in the first place, so where is there a safe space for people to get help or talk? Nowhere. They go to a medical professional, they risk being committed, so they may reach out to online groups first. How many people have come to reddit for help, only to get blasted and yelled at over semantics or something equally as petty, only to withdraw into themselves even more? The reasonable answers are supposed to rise to the top, but instead the hive mind is just as cruel as anyone.

[deleted] t1_j6pguc4 wrote

[deleted]

1ndomitablespirit t1_j6phg23 wrote

I'm sorry, I just used guns as an example. How we are still so quick to dismiss mental illness when it is tied to something that gets us emotional.

bdschuler t1_j6omcya wrote

Not sure anyone can ever really understand something like this. It is heartbreaking and my condolences to family and friends. This one sentence stood out to me, "Both parents were ordained ministers". To me it just seems to add to the sadness and thought of how absolute dire this family's situation had to have become.

monachopsiss t1_j6phx9q wrote

Eh, I think the fact that they genuinely believed there is a heaven and that the 3 of them would all get to be there forever, together and free of mental illness, makes it a bit LESS sad. I envy believers. They most likely didn't have the same fear of death that others do and weren't as terrified in their final moments, especially considering how well-thought-out and planned this was.

But what a tragic fucking story.

monachopsiss t1_j6pjecu wrote

As someone who is severely ill (with a progressive illness), and married to someone who is also severely ill (with a progressive illness), this is so fucking sad and far too relatable. I'm at least glad they believed they were going to a better place where they'd all be happy and healthy. Imagine if we started actually caring about people in this country.

Hot4toes t1_j6opudo wrote

Wanted to go out on their own terms I guess. It’s sad but at least they were able to do that

Mor_Tearach t1_j6pg02q wrote

What a deeply, grindingly sad story. It's almost sadder knowing they took active steps to ensure their dog survived. WHY why WHY can't this place give mental illness the attention, care and compassion needed to not die?

We'd take it, I don't care how old or what kind. Salvaging any life out of this tragic shambles would feel like doing something. We have two, there's always room for one more.

wagsman t1_j6on9n0 wrote

There has to be more to this. What was so bad that none of these 3 could pull themselves out of this funk long enough to seek help for themselves and the other 2?

−15

Hillbl3 t1_j6p0kjt wrote

>What was so bad...

Hey look, another person who doesn't understand how mental illness works.

Whatchyaduinyachooch t1_j6p3g64 wrote

My thoughts exactly. The article also stated that the parents had sort of pulled away from the community. I’m sure they had been dealing with their daughter’s hallucinations and hearing voices (I guess schizophrenia) and that wears on a caregiver- especially a parent. You keep wondering why your child can’t just be happy and unencumbered by such a severe mental illness..so you form a protective barrier around your little family…thinking you’re doing your best but ultimately it actually pulls you down with your child…and there’s no end plus u know at some point your child WON’T have you to take care of their very specific and overwhelming needs. It’s tragic. I understand it though. Such a sad sad story.

sunglasses90 t1_j6p83nz wrote

The sad part is that there are extremely effecting drugs for schizophrenia out there. The hardest part is getting someone to take them, but they work.

dangerousfeather t1_j6pgb8f wrote

Sure, they work, but they tend to make you fat, exhausted, and incapable of having sex. You get rid of your hallucinations, but you have no desire for life leftover. There are reasons people don't take them.

(source: I take them.)

monachopsiss t1_j6pim3f wrote

This is a really dangerous general statement to make, and hearing stuff like this contributes to people being unwilling to try necessary medication. I'm sorry that's been your experience, but they greatly increase quality of life for many many people who don't have terrible side effects.

−2

dangerousfeather t1_j6pj9ej wrote

I'm sorry if the reality of these drugs offends you, but this is the state of mental health medication for many of us. What we need isn't hating on people who suffer, it's more emphasis into developing better drugs rather than continuing to rely on the same types of medications we've been using since the days of institutionalization.

monachopsiss t1_j6pjv7b wrote

>this is the state of mental health medication for many of us.

As I clearly stated in my original response to you, I am aware of that. But it's your experience. Not everyone's.

Obviously we'd all love to snap our fingers and have perfect meds for every condition with zero negative side effects. But since that will never be possible, we shouldn't discourage people from at least trying something that could literally save their life.

−3

Whatchyaduinyachooch t1_j6pbz6d wrote

Definitely hard to get an adult - even if it’s your adult child- to take he meds and take them religiously. They don’t have to do it. You can involuntarily commit them but even that can be a problem because you risk alienating them and then after they are released they can stop taking the meds anyway- it’s heartbreaking…

Away-Plant-8989 t1_j6ozubk wrote

You get older and health problems compound your mental ones. This country robs you out of your savings when you get inevitably sick. Look at the comments on this. Lack of empathy from anyone because nobody cares for the old. The way society treats the ill like lepers. A problem to scrape into the bin. At least people don't pretend anymore to lack sympathy. They half-assed wring their hands "oh a pity what's there to do?"

Tidusx145 t1_j6ov0mr wrote

Daughter had severe mental issues and the parents likely had something as well.

Suicide will never make sense to me as an agnostic, as such I don't know if I'll ever be able to truly empathize with the mindset. I don't understand it and can't pretend to. As a result I doubt you or I will ever get a proper explanation of why outside of those letters going public.

monachopsiss t1_j6piaup wrote

REALLY? Their daughter was severely mentally ill and they didn't want to live without her when she killed herself. THAT'S what was "so bad." You should be grateful you can't even imagine it, but you can still have some fucking empathy.

[deleted] t1_j6o98bl wrote

[removed]

−102

[deleted] t1_j6oa5dc wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_j6oi2n6 wrote

[removed]

−18