Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

infernaldragonboner t1_j5jazc8 wrote

I’m having a weird flashback to my grandmother (from the suburbs outside of Philadelphia) making what she’d called “California cheeseburgers” that were actually burger paddies without buns with tomato sauce. I wonder if this was the origin of that. I googled California cheeseburger and I just see a bunch of stuff about in-n-out and stuff.

jek39 t1_j5jg5yz wrote

That sounds like a depression era meal. My grandmother (also Philly burbs) used to make “muscle makers”. Slice of white bread, yellow mustard, sprinkled with sugar.

dalex89 t1_j5jhhpv wrote

In Georgia we had sugar sandwiches, just slightly toasted buttered bread with some sugar sprinkled on

allthingsparrot t1_j5jzvuy wrote

My grandmother (from Philly) used to make SOS aka Shit on a Shingle. Creamed beef on white bread lol

dalex89 t1_j5jl9ts wrote

I think the mainstream perception of Cali cheeseburgers is just a regular cheeseburger but with lettuce, tomato and onion, maybe mayo.

infernaldragonboner t1_j5jsh04 wrote

Yeah I think this may have just been a within-family name for the dish. I know she moved to California with my grandad for a bit before they got married so it may be that they ate it a lot out there and named it that, but that’s just speculation on my part

steampunkedunicorn t1_j5lluji wrote

I moved here 3 years ago from California and the lack of lettuce, onion, and tomato on burgers was an unwelcome culture shock.