Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

OrdovicianOccultist t1_j8d2eyt wrote

USPS has been replacing all of the blue mailboxes with boxes that only allow you to slide letters and flat mail in through a slot with teeth. This is to prevent “phishing”, where thieves literally send string down the opening with sticky glue or gum on the end to fish out all the mail. (Happened way more than people realize.) These boxes appear to be welded shut but actually have a slit for an opening at the top. Thieves across the country have responded by straight up robbing letter carriers for their keys though so not sure that plan worked out successfully. If the boxes are painted green they are not mailboxes at all, simply storage boxes for letter carriers on foot. (Pawtucket and Lincoln have many of these)

AhChingados t1_j8d4cxl wrote

This feels right out of a western movie, holding up the train to take the mail (and any money in it)

Status_Silver_5114 t1_j8d38rp wrote

This! And it’s not clear there’s a slot there so if you are used to the drawer style it seems like you can’t drop anything in there - it’s not well marked (ie no stickers or different color tape to show you where the opening is).

unhpian t1_j8febut wrote

The phishing happened frequently enough on a box on Promenade Street they removed the box altogether. Its was next to a State Office (DEM) and over a 6 month period I knew of 12 people who put mail in that box that was never delivered. 3 had identities stolen, not sure if its related or not. It seems crazy to me, but I guess people are still mailing cash or paperwork that has sensitive info that assholes will steal