Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

klasbatalo t1_ja08r1i wrote

Actually when they do that slumlords bring them to fourth for non-payment evictions. It’s illegal to withhold unless you pay into the court registry apparently.

PeachesFromTulsa t1_ja09jrk wrote

It does not to be sent to a court registry, it just needs to be set aside in some other account.

klasbatalo t1_ja09vd6 wrote

Go ahead try it. Our lawyers tell us this just ends in non payment evictions every time.

klasbatalo t1_ja0a8hu wrote

In particular this is what happens with slumlords like Pioneer Investments LLC who disregard the laws.

klasbatalo t1_ja0acte wrote

Also this is why lawmakers are discussing raising deductions from $125 to $500 or even the full rent.

klasbatalo t1_ja2szum wrote

I’ve heard it from the best lawyers in the state who handle evictions cases every day, every week and they have told me if you haven’t given proper notice (20 days) and / or deduct more that the legal $125 then you are likely seeing an eviction filed against you for non-payment of rent. It doesn’t matter that it’s probably an illegal retaliatory eviction they still happen and sometimes judges grant them if tenants don’t have enough documentation etc