Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

distortionisgod t1_j8rsmh8 wrote

I went once as inpatient after a suicide attempt.

The staff was great for the most part. Very compassionate outside of one. At the time I was 26, she couldn't have been older than 35. She literally spoke to me like I was a baby all the time, even after I told her multiple times "I am a fully grown adult here for help. Not a toddler, not special needs, just a human being. Please speak to me like one". She just said I was being rude and disrespectful.

That was my only negative experience, but it's something mental healthcare professionals working with adults REALLY need to keep in mind. We're already ashamed, probably very embarrassed and not at our best. It is absolutely dehumanizing to have someone who is a peer in any other circumstance talk to you like you're a 3rd grader.

Can't say enough great things about the psychiatrist and nurses who handled my day-to-day care. They really went out of their way to make sure I had what I needed if anything arose and treated me and others on the unit with a lot of compassion and respect.

Rickshmitt t1_j8rw8e6 wrote

Same but earlier 20s. They gave me some pills and took my blood pressure a couple times. Wasnt really helpful but i also wasnt looking for help.

The people i met in there though were wonderful. Few pretty sad stories.

morbidpete84 t1_j8uewfb wrote

Spent a few years there on and off as a young child and teen for self mutilation and “suicide attempts”. I say that in quotes because it was just for attention and a way to get out of the group homes I was in as I found Butler to be much more home like and enjoyed it more than a group home. I have a lot of good memories there to be honest. Staff and fellow patients alike. While those issues are far far behind me and my mental health is very solid at this stage in my life (this was over 20 years ago) I’m glad to hear it’s still just as warm as it was. Well, except the times I would flip out and get strapped to the bed and shot with Benadryl in the ass to calm me down or thrown in the LSE room (Low Stress Environment aka padded cell) but that was on me not the staff or facility