Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rhodyjourno OP t1_j9yrmj5 wrote

DETAILS FROM THE STORY: A federally-funded two-year initiative is expected to launch next week to help combat misinformation in Rhode Island and help minimize online violence and extremism.
The new program, dubbed Courageous RI, was designed by the University of Rhode Island’s Media Education Lab, and was funded through a $700,000 grant from the US Department of Homeland Security. The initiative, which will be rolled out in three phases, has been tasked with fostering community conversations, providing training and education, and engaging youth. The trainings look to help participants across sectors become “more resilient to propaganda and disinformation.”
The initiative will formally launch at an in-person event at 3 p.m. on Tuesday at the Rhode Island State House, kicking off a series of free virtual sessions that are open to the public. Officials including Rhode Island Secretary of State Gregg Amore, Republican State Representative Brian Newberry, and Democrat State Senator Hanna Gallo are expected to offer remarks.

​

READ MORE IN THE LINK.

lazydictionary t1_ja30zbq wrote

I really like the idea behind this, but it seems like a gigantic waste of money

Who the fuck named it Courageous? How the hell is that adjective relevant for fighting misinformation?

It's just virtual training online? No one is going to watch it.

It needs to be incorporated into schooling, although that's an impossible ask with the current state of schooling in this country.

newenglandcontessa t1_ja34bmx wrote

Media/information literacy is already being incorporated into public school curricula across RI and the US in general, though not to a huge extent. I worked for the Media Education Lab on their Media Literacy in RI Report Card project, which analyzed how/if media literacy was being taught in RI. You can see the results here: Media Literacy Report Card

Part of the reason for initiatives like the one in the article OP linked to is to raise awareness for the need for media literacy education in schools.

HalfManHalfCornball t1_ja0rhj7 wrote

Throughout the whole pandemic local/national media was infested with misinformation. Now everything is coming to the surface. When people brought up simple logic on natural immunity, people got shot down and called crazy and selfish. It's funny how all the people who were hell bent on vaccines and hurting our local small businesses. Now they are afraid to come out and admit and apologize that they let the media control them.

−7

Dry-Background9812 t1_j9zzgpe wrote

Who decides what is disinformation ?

−8

Space_faces t1_jabwi6a wrote

Dunno but I'm confident that if I believe the opposite of what you believe, I'll always be right.

Desperate_Expert_952 t1_j9zvp2x wrote

More like DHS is sponsoring a program to only read govt propaganda instead of private new media propaganda

−12