Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RedditSkippy t1_jan5160 wrote

This seems like an exceptionally grim story. A woman, with a history of stroke, goes to an ER for care. She’s given the bare minimum to get her back on the street. She feels the care was inadequate so she advocated for herself. Instead of calling a social worker, the hospital calls the cops. Everyone ignores her claim that she can’t breathe. She has another stroke in the police cruiser. This is fucked up.

shk_88 t1_jaovlvp wrote

Malpractice is written allllllllll over this one. Prayers to her family as they process this. This is terrible neglect

Dazzling_Face_6515 t1_jar7r4z wrote

It’s also the fucking south, I don’t think this would happen in New England. A cop in Tennessee can shoot a kid because he’s experiencing a mental health crisis and then get elected county sheriff by the kids conservative parents to own the libs. You heard em in the vid it’s Sunday. Can’t be bothered on the lords day 💒🙅🏻‍♂️

RedditSkippy t1_jar9ds5 wrote

Something very, very similar happened in Brooklyn about 15 years ago.

I’m sure these ERs are overwhelmed, and I wonder if the article omits a history of this woman showing up there with non-issues, but, whoa, the police?

totoop t1_jarhycu wrote

I mean she hadn't even been living in Tennessee for 20 days at the the time of her death so I can't imagine a scenario where the hospital saw her as a repeat visitor. I know google reviews can easily be influenced but the hospital looks like a dump....

RedditSkippy t1_jarnrbh wrote

Okay, I hadn’t appreciated how recently she moved there.

totoop t1_jarp208 wrote

That being said though, I do think you're probably correct in that the hospital did likely assume something about Lisa and did not take her concerns seriously.

I'm curious what her treatment even was considering how recently she had had a stroke and how she clearly picked up on some warning signs about having another one.

Hospitals are often tasked with doing a lot, oftentimes more then they really should be responsible for, but patient care should always be the #1 priority. Its just unfortunate when you have incidents similar to these, where (putting aside the loss of life) even if the assumption is correct and the hospital is dealing with a repeat visitor or somebody struggling with mental illness, that patient care seems to take a backseat to profit and getting the "patient" back out the door "treated"