Submitted by NoMoreCircles t3_11n9a9y in RhodeIsland

I currently live in a fairly small 2BR with my roommate in PVD for $1500/mo (with $100/mo in utilities). I would like to live on my own for the first time because I’ve always had roommates, but I’m pretty poor-ish at ~$42K per year. I think the max I could pay is about $800/mo before utilities. My take home is usually 2700-3000/mo after taxes.

Could I find a 1BR for about that in Woony or anywhere around PVD? I know it’s kind of dumpy, and it looks like rents are cheaper. Or is that out of range for the city?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

duburose t1_jbmcvbd wrote

I am in small EP apartment with untilities included. I found on Facebook …. Don’t know Woonsocket but maybe try Facebook…

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_jbmifkp wrote

I was living in a 3 bedroom that was less than a 1 bedroom when I last moved (and 1k less than the 3 bedroom apartment listed in the building next door). I can't speak too specifically to Woonsocket, but I tell this story because I can tell you with fair certainty that you won't find much for less than $1500 (in PVD) and 99% certainty that you won't find something 800 or less. I admit I may be way off on Woonsocket overall, but I have seen some insane rents posted online for Woony on social media.

You also have to be ready to absorb the fallout of some crazy rent hikes. I have friends who used to live comfortably in 1 bedrooms a few years back and now with more income are under constant stress to keep up with the market rate adjustments every renewal and utility hikes. You can see it on their faces when they are nearly in tears discussing the situation.

I now live with my partner, but one thing I never regret are the many years I spent with roommates in that cheap apartment because it afforded me so many opportunities. Just my two cents.

Familiar_Ad1485 t1_jbmpm1b wrote

Sorry my man but you will not find a whole apartment to rent for $800, they don’t exist anymore! And if someone is paying that currently it’s only cuz they prob been there for ages

Lonely_Ad8983 t1_jbnt9xb wrote

I make way less than that and I can afford a 2 bed in prov with nothing included for 1000. If you want to live on your own you have to prioritize where your money goes. What's more important to you ? a roof over your head or take out and partying every weekend not saying that's what you do but sacrifices are what you need to figure out first . Because you will not find anything decent under 1000 anymore because I've been looking myself since I want out of the city.

wyldweasil t1_jbpzdoo wrote

You're going to need a time machine to find an apartment for that much anywhere in the state.

You may want to check other communities like Attleboro, Fall River,, but I think you're going to have a hard time finding anything in New England for that amount for a while.

EvilCatArt t1_jd5cd45 wrote

That's about what my mom pays for her 1br. That said, she's been there for like... 15 years or something and barely even asks them for anything, and the building is old... and the floor is sagging. And I think the stove might be older than me...