Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Exiled_metalfield t1_jc7njm4 wrote

Anyone have a good recipe? Tried it last year in the slow cooker, but ended up being flavorless and a bit chewy.

commandantskip t1_jc7rj9n wrote

I've had really good results cooking low and slow in a dutch oven.

beauford3641 t1_jc7yd9z wrote

I generally do mine this way. Cover it with water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Skim off any of the junk that rises to the top and then add the pickling spice, either from the packet or from a container of it (which is what I do). Bring it down to a simmer and let it go for a couple of hours. Usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours will do. Then move it to a baking sheet. I generally line mine with foil. Heat your oven to 400. Some people add a glaze or something to it, which I've done and it's excellent that way. A mustard based one would be the way to go. Then roast it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or so.

PotentialAd1295 t1_jc83ixo wrote

Last year I did 2 flat cuts in my crock pot. Added the spices that came with it, a couple bay leaves, a can of beer and a good splash of red wine vinegar. Got it going before I left for work on low setting. I could cut it with a fork when I got home

Shoddy-Sleep-8832 t1_jc8epi4 wrote

Brisket of any kind is really not that complicated. Whatever method you choose whether it smoking, braising, boiling, roasting, slow cooking, pressure cooking, steaming, etc cook it long enough and don't dry it out and it will be fork tender.

fishythepete t1_jc8oubq wrote

If it’s chewy it’s undercooked and not enough collagen and fat has rendered. When it’s over cooked it will be dry and stringy.