Submitted by Apprehensive-Bid1605 t3_11se4i2 in RhodeIsland

I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered a prescription drug shortage. I went to the doctor today and was prescribed one new and one refill and both were on back order. My husband also recently encountered this on a refill which was filled with a substitute. I have heard of the Adderal shortage but now it seems to be creeping into other drugs.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

putathorkinit t1_jcdlf1k wrote

Many drugs currently in shortage. Some issues are regional, and it seems like New England has been reasonably affected. I think much of it is continued fallout of pandemic supply chain disruptions, particularly overseas. Turns out “just in time” manufacturing isn’t ideal for essential products!

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/default.cfm

Substantial_Maybe_67 t1_jcdhumn wrote

We had an issue finding antibiotics for my kiddo when she had an ear infection. I called about 12 different pharmacies, all were on back order and couldn’t tell me when they’d have it. I ended up going on a trip up to NH, called six pharmacies up there with no luck, ended up finding it at one super last minute and I got the last bottle of it. Wild

Malcovis t1_jcdwmtn wrote

Anti-biotic ? That’s terrifying. Helpful tip, Most people don’t realize that nearly all RI Hospitals have some degree of pharmacy open to the public. I have found this to be a great resource.

abap65 t1_jcdkbs0 wrote

Same, CVS is unable to get ahold of my regular prescription by the same manufacturer.

Maleficent_Mink t1_jcdzdpl wrote

Yes, CVS just filled one of my prescriptions for the first time since SEPTEMBER. I’ve been taking half doses and skipping to make it stretch so I don’t go entirely off cold turkey

Malcovis t1_jcdwdw7 wrote

It’s my understanding that the issue with some shortages such as Adderol for example, is that the federal authorities that regulate /oversee the distribution of controlled substances, such as Adderol , Oxytocin, Suboxone etc…. Will only allow a specific amount to be released and then distributed to pharmacies over a given time frame. The number of people that require ADD/ADHD meds, prescribed by their doctor, is not relevant in the eyes of the FDA/CMS.

So, basically they are on “Back Order” until the pharmacies are allowed to restock.

What’s really scary is since these drugs are controlled substances it’s nearly impossible to “stock-pile” for a rainy day… or in my case, every pharmacy with in a 30 mile radius is out of stock, with out any idea of when they expect to be restocked. You just gotta call daily and hope the withdrawal symptoms /side effects are manageable….

corenee89 t1_jcf8qo8 wrote

This is part of the issue, the other part of the issue is that the federal government also regulates how much of these drugs the manufacturers are allowed to make. So most of them are actually on back order and not available to order at all, even if the pharmacy has not yet reached their limit that month. (I am a pharmacist)

badandbroken333 t1_jcenx3v wrote

I work with insurance/pharmacy plans and there’s been a shortage on diabetic medication specifically trulicity, ozempic, metphormin. They’re being advertised for weight loss and many dr’s prescribing them. The shortage ebbs and flows as of late. Some dispensing companies are rationing and others requiring doctors to put in prior auth.

topher352 t1_jchdr62 wrote

I went 4 months without Ozempic, I was finally able to get some again this month.

Doctor_Quest t1_jcf66jb wrote

I just got the call yesterday mine are delayed, but they're ADHD meds so I kind of knew this would eventually happen unfortunately

Poh_lack t1_jcfsw8r wrote

I know we buy a lot of our medications from China also. Not a good situation either

topher352 t1_jchdddp wrote

I'm on several meds and lately it seems like half of them are on back order.

LibraryGoddess t1_jcg4adk wrote

My long-acting insulin was on backorder when my Dr. put in the prescription last week, but it showed up Monday.

maybebullshitmaybe t1_jcdku4w wrote

So strange. Is this some artificial shortage to inevitably raise prices? (Even higher than they already are 😓)

−4