Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Malcovis t1_jcdwdw7 wrote

It’s my understanding that the issue with some shortages such as Adderol for example, is that the federal authorities that regulate /oversee the distribution of controlled substances, such as Adderol , Oxytocin, Suboxone etc…. Will only allow a specific amount to be released and then distributed to pharmacies over a given time frame. The number of people that require ADD/ADHD meds, prescribed by their doctor, is not relevant in the eyes of the FDA/CMS.

So, basically they are on “Back Order” until the pharmacies are allowed to restock.

What’s really scary is since these drugs are controlled substances it’s nearly impossible to “stock-pile” for a rainy day… or in my case, every pharmacy with in a 30 mile radius is out of stock, with out any idea of when they expect to be restocked. You just gotta call daily and hope the withdrawal symptoms /side effects are manageable….

corenee89 t1_jcf8qo8 wrote

This is part of the issue, the other part of the issue is that the federal government also regulates how much of these drugs the manufacturers are allowed to make. So most of them are actually on back order and not available to order at all, even if the pharmacy has not yet reached their limit that month. (I am a pharmacist)