Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Traditional-Ad3740 t1_iti2og6 wrote

As a former Californian where the government has driven it into the ground and everyone is fleeing, I find it hard to understand why someone whom is a transplant is such a bad thing? I enjoy my new home I want to see it flourish. I haven't witnessed McKee do anything to help us, I think it's time for change or at least say something that he has done for the good of RI.

−15

lelekfalo t1_iti7kb5 wrote

I don't like what McKee has done, either.

But I don't like that Kalus's whole persona is "not Mckee." She has literally no platform on her website. She's... just nothing.

Gizzarelli is a 3rd party candidate who will be on our ballot, and wants to immediately pardon all non-violent drug offenders.

You want change, stop voting D or R.

I will literally vote for any 3rd party candidate before I vote D or R. Libertarian, Green, The Peoples Party for the Annihilation of all Children and Grapefruits, idgaf.

Ryland42 t1_itjgrkv wrote

This is a perfect example for ranked choice voting

12stringPlayer t1_itipeww wrote

She literally moved here to run for office. It's not like she moved here 5 years ago and wanted to get involved in her new community. It's that she's a blatant opportunist who doesn't care if she's in Rhode Island, South Dakota, or West Virginia, she moved to where the GOP invited her to run.

She's got no political experience, and I don't even know if she can manage her household finances never mind a state budget. I don't know if she's stood up to a home renovation contractor, never mind a labor union.

McKee wasn't my favorite candidate by a long shot, but I'll still vote for him over Kalus. Hell, I think I'd vote for Carcieri before I voted for Kalus.

And no, I'm not voting for Gizzarelli. John Anderson taught me (and I wish he'd taught Ralph Nader) that all a 3rd party candidate does in the current system is spoil the race. But beside that, the only sign I saw for him had something about bringing back flavored vapes. Not something I'd have made a main plank of my platform, but there he is.

Libertarians piss me off anyway, because things just fall apart. I recently saw Billy Bragg, and he wrote a song about Grafton NH where Libertarians got elected to a majority of the town council. It's funny because it's true. "Living on logic sounds real good / But people don't always act the way you think that they should"

Beezlegrunk t1_itk381f wrote

>John Anderson taught me (and I wish he'd taught Ralph Nader) that all a 3rd party candidate does in the current system is spoil the race.

You’re way too old to still think a two-party system is actually functional …

12stringPlayer t1_itl8n93 wrote

That's true, I'd love to see some real change, like ranked voting. But it's not here yet, so I have to decide whether I'd like to use my vote as a protest, or to try and elect the lesser of the evils being presented.

If I'm going to vote a 3rd party candidate, they'll have to be someone I respect rather than a fool like Gizzarelli. I was always happy to vote for Bob Healey, for example.

Beezlegrunk t1_itlkkfp wrote

>”But it's not here yet, so I have to decide whether I'd like to use my vote as a protest, or to try and elect the lesser of the evils being presented.”

Translation: “I’ll perpetuate a system that I know doesn’t work because its replacement hasn’t arrived yet — precisely because people like me keep perpetuating the existing system and preventing its replacement from arriving.”

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

−2

Beezlegrunk t1_itk2z6r wrote

The California state government “drove it into the ground”? RI residents would kill for just a fraction of California’s economy. Why did you move there in the first place, and why did you leave?

Traditional-Ad3740 t1_itkvftq wrote

I was born and raised there, cost of living was too high and quality of life was too low. They do have a booming economy but with the over regulation it's hard to survive. It also sucks to make a honest living to and ravaged by criminals whom get a slap on the wrist. I see that my opinion is unpopular however no one has any sort of rebuttal. I am not attacking any side I just don't get it is all

−1

Beezlegrunk t1_itl3q0v wrote

> I was born and raised there

Central Valley? OC? San Diego?

>cost of living was too high and quality of life was too low.

Housing speculation in a lot of places in the U.S. has made a basic human necessity unaffordable for most people — we need to de-commodify it …

>They do have a booming economy but with the over regulation it's hard to survive.

Oxymoron? If it’s booming, how is it being over-regulated? And if those ‘oppressive’ regulations were removed, wouldn’t it “boom” even more and get even more expensive …?

>It also sucks to make a honest living to and ravaged by criminals whom get a slap on the wrist.

What kind of honest work did you do there, and what crimes were you “ravaged” by?

>I see that my opinion is unpopular however no one has any sort of rebuttal.

Not sure about that second part, but it’s hard to rebut generalities — hence my questions.

>I am not attacking any side

Didn’t you say the (Democrat-controlled) state government had driven California into the ground? They’re a side …

>I just don't get it is all

Fair point

Traditional-Ad3740 t1_itlasyj wrote

I can see you are closed minded which is part of the problem. However I will entertain your questions. I lived in LA performing contractual maintenance. It is over regulated in a sense of over taxing, silly regulations like too many cars in a private parking lot and such. I was ravaged by petty theft, a couple hundred bucks of metals cause thousands of dollars of damage to your vehicle. My opinion is unpopular based on the down votes. I never said Democrat....

It's cool tho, continue being a smart ass I'm doing just fine.