Submitted by Opticalpopsicle1074 t3_yoqmfq in RhodeIsland

My Cox internet bill keeps going up. Apparently in my area I can’t get Verizon Fios but I can get their DSL but it’s not much less so probably not worth switching. I hear that T-mobile has a satellite internet for cheap. Does anyone have any experience with that? Does it work well?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BobJacobs2022 t1_ivfbloc wrote

No personal experience with T-mobile internet, but I know people who have it and they like it. I'm considering switching myself.

Much-Raisin5122 t1_ivfd1vv wrote

Tmobile's service only uses satellite in areas without cell coverage, the rest of the time you're just on their cellular network. But being in IT this sounds like an awful solution if you do a lot of video conferences.

[deleted] t1_ivfekaj wrote

Go down to a Cox store and renegotiate. Don’t call you won’t get anywhere. If you go to an office the person you speak to will most likely hook you up. My bill has been $60 for a loooooong time. Try it.

Opticalpopsicle1074 OP t1_ivfg1bx wrote

Wow really? I might try that. I just tell them to please lower it because I don’t like the price and they do? I’m now paying $114 and there is a message on the bill that it’s going to be even higher on the next bill. Thanks Cox for the warning 😒

rightmindedBen t1_ivfgmct wrote

I pay about $65 a month for internet only (medium speed). I own my own modem so no monthly rental fee there. I have to call once a year for them to lower my bill and they always lower it without issue.

[deleted] t1_ivfiu3a wrote

Well, you can go in and tell them you’ve been a Cox customer for quite a while and you’re unhappy with your bill. They’ll talk to you about sales, bundles, and potential prices. I tell them I want my bill to remain the same and they look through their computer to find a deal for me. Try it. It can’t hurt.

Much-Raisin5122 t1_ivfp24w wrote

Your kids will not be happy if they play any kind of online shooters. Even when you have full bars cellular has high latency.

zjanderson t1_ivfxbr6 wrote

I used T-Mobile Home Internet for about a year when I lived in the Berkshires. It utilized their LTE network, not satellite. It worked great.

radioflea t1_ivg6ooo wrote

Contact Cox and ask them about promotions they are running or if you can reevaluate your current plan.

I’ve run into this with them previously and was able get a fixed rate for either 1-2 years.

BigE1263 t1_ivg85rz wrote

i guess it depends. id check if you can get a hotspot in your cellphone plan depending on your data usage.

therealDrA t1_ivggy6y wrote

I always call and threaten to switch to fios and they know my home is set up. They always come down on price. Threaten to switch to DSL and tell them you got a better rate.

Quick_Fennel_3244 t1_ivgn4tv wrote

I'll pay more for Verizon just because the internet is so reliable for me.

GotenRocko t1_ivgw4gg wrote

FiOS also has at home 5g service which should be much faster than dsl.

Much-Raisin5122 t1_ivhsfpv wrote

So you may see the spinning circle more often, but those services buffer, so it downloads enough of the movie to play 30 seconds or so if it loses internet. But with the games and video calls they need a more consistent connection. There is no buffering with those services.

The speed is not the issue, it's the latency. Wireless and cellular have high latency!

holygrat t1_ivjbizs wrote

I tried T-Mobile internet but it wasn’t cutting it and had to switch to Verizon.

sethwm2 t1_ivlo3wg wrote

Cox is disgusting. Go for something like Starlink. Need to stop giving Cox money.

Opticalpopsicle1074 OP t1_ivp2lsc wrote

I’m not sure. 4 people using WiFi with computers….kids use Xbox and adults use Netflix, Amazon and the smart tv. I don’t care so much about the Xbox experience but I can’t live without Netflix.

Opticalpopsicle1074 OP t1_ivp3ojq wrote

They really are something else, my bill was $350 a month with basic cable! I said goodbye to the cable part and just use my TV antenna and I’m so much happier. But now they are trying to drive the bill up again, grrrrr. They have a monopoly where I am on Aquidneck island so they just charge whatever they want.